BAOFENG UV-5R / KG-905G question

Guest RPF

Guest RPF

Greetings,

I permit and administer timber sales and fuel treatment projects in the west.  I have been using my UV-5R on dedicated MURS channels used by loggers and drivers for years which has worked well.  I do have my lic.  I now have a KG-905G for crew members but had limited success on the 905G side.  I am on GMRS Ch 22 (.7250). Q: How to best optimize this set-up?  The UV-5R is received clearly by the 905G over a mile away but is not being received back.  I assume it a difference in transmission strength?  Cell phone comm has helped determine that signal drop-off.  I will likely use a repeater on certain jobs but am surprised to lose transmission from the 905G after less than a mile on flat ground with mostly two-story homes.  Is there a better channel to use? Is the TXPOW setting an issue? Thanks for any help!  RPF

Well are you on high power.  Gmrs 460xxx is very much line of sight. A hand held can do 30plus miles in the open but can fall off in 1/2 a mile in the city or mountain or woods.   It all depends.  No amount of watts is going to get you through homes or mountains or heavy woods.   A mag mount on top on the rigs will help some hooked to the hand helds.  Truck radios might work well also.  Might not?   Depends?   You’re actually the only person that can answer this question.  Murs is much further down the scale 151-154 and works much better with less line of sight.  

15 hours ago, Guest RPF said:

The UV-5R is received clearly by the 905G over a mile away but is not being received back.

If the UV-5R has a tone set on the TX set the same tone on RX for the 905G.

If the UV-5R has no tone set on TX, then there should not be a tone set on RX on the 905G.

It probably comes down to the differences between MURS which is VHF and GMRS which is UHF. If MURS works better for you the KG-805M is a good radio. I have several and they work great. Have reached 5 miles at times through partially wooded terrain. Also work good hooked up to mobile and base antennas.