Is it possible to use a dual band 2m/440 antenna with a gmrs radio?

I just got my GMRS license and planning on getting a GMRS mobile radio to set up with my 2m/440 ham station and wondering if it is possible to use the same 2m/440 antenna with both radios. I know I would have to switch the antenna cable from either radio or get an antenna switch if there is a reliable switch.... but other than that is it possible to use the same antenna? 

Thanks

Brian

WSDA973

KC9MSG

34 minutes ago, WSDA973 said:

I just got my GMRS license and planning on getting a GMRS mobile radio to set up with my 2m/440 ham station and wondering if it is possible to use the same 2m/440 antenna with both radios. I know I would have to switch the antenna cable from either radio or get an antenna switch if there is a reliable switch.... but other than that is it possible to use the same antenna? 

Thanks

Brian

WSDA973

KC9MSG

It's possible with some antennas. I have a Jetstream JTM3B antenna that works quite well on both. Other folks here have similar stories with other antennas. But there's also a lot of dual band amateur radio antennas that won't work well on GMRS. Perhaps others here will chime in with their experience with dual band amateur radio antennas like my Jetstream JTM3B that also work on GMRS. 

1 minute ago, WRQC527 said:

He's looking for a mobile antenna.

In that case I will recommend using the Comet 2x4SR antenna if you have the clearance for a 38-40 inch tall antenna. I have not found any dual band antennas that are 20 inches or less that will work on 2m/70cm and GMRS.

Yes most duel band antennas will work fine.  I guess my question would be why use 2 radios?   Just use the ham for both like millions of others do every day?  
For me dual band a is for repeater scanning, band b is for aprs. So my radio logic, said I needed a dedicated xtl for gmrs and p25..lol... well that will change when my lazy ass puts the xg100m in so I can have p25 uhf/vhf and gmrs on another radio without having to dual brick dual face the xtl.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Don't think my Alinco dual band radio will work on GMRS
That's another reason why. Some radios aren't capable of going out of band for a number of reasons. Some basically aren't mars/cap mod capable.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Yes, a number of dual band will provide a solution.  I use a compactenna scan-III for sdr and gmrs, and I have good swr numbers in gmrs and 2 meter.  See the attached jpg files.  I also use a antenna switch, to switch from the gmrs to the sdr, works very well.  The 1st of 2meter 2nd is 420-470 sweep and last is 462-467.  You may get slightly better results with other antennas, the compactenna is a very broadband, but it can be done.   Regarding antenna switches, there are a number of options, the one I use the "active" feed connects to the radio in question, the other lines are GROUNDED.   So just be aware to switch to the correct radio, or you could end up transmitting into a hard ground connection.   All info is good info..  Best of luck

2METER.jpg

420.jpg

462_467.jpg

kg1000_base_2.JPG