Programming Tidradio td h3 using USB-c

VETCOMMS

Question

I'm having issues with "USB device not recognized" when using the USB cable provided with the radio.   I assume the cable used to charge the radio is the same cable I use to program the radio using the USB port on the side.   I didn't see any other cables included in the radio package.   Am I missing the correct cable for I programming?

10 answers to this question

The supplied USB-C cable will work in the data and charging ports.  I use it to program and charge all the time.
The radio itself has the chip built in that is usually in the programming cable of the "Kenwood" type that uses the speaker/mic jacks.
You may need to update the driver so it it recognized as a different comm. port in device manager. It will likely NOT be COM 1.

Mine comes up:   COM4: USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM 4)  

If you remove the cable, this com port will disappear, and plugging it back in it will reappear in CHIRP and Device Manager.
This will confirm it's the correct COM port to select in CHIRP.

The supplied USB-C cable will work for data transfer on the TID programming software and CHIRP.  Make sure it is securely inserted into the USB C port on the right side of the radio under the rubber cover.  If it's not pushed all the way in it will not work.

7 hours ago, VETCOMMS said:

I'm having issues with "USB device not recognized" when using the USB cable provided with the radio.   I assume the cable used to charge the radio is the same cable I use to program the radio using the USB port on the side.   I didn't see any other cables included in the radio package.   Am I missing the correct cable for I programming?

That happens if you haven’t installed the correct driver before plugging in the USB cable.

10 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

That happens if you haven’t installed the correct driver before plugging in the USB cable.

Thanks.  It looks like I get the driver from the Tidradio website but need to log in to their website.  Is it possible to get the driver without logging in?

Pretty sure that is for charging only and that radio uses a k1 programming cable like many other radios.  You usually have to order a cable separate since you would not want to have to pay for a cable with every radio.  You could own 10radios and you only need one cable. Keeps the price down. 

Yeah.... can't get the com port to recognize the radio using the c port and USB port on the radio.   I'm pretty sure they say you can program it using usb-c which makes the radio attractive. 

I'm hoping someone has successfully used Chirp via the USB to type c cable included with the radio but maybe I'm mistaken and need to buy a separate programming cable. 

Someone with this radio please straighten me out on the programming cable.   Technology is not liking me today. 

20240608_081401.jpg

I used the bluetooth feature and ODMaster App to program H3. Worked great. 

FYI, If you have, or plan to have, different radio brands consider a look at the Mirkit Universal Programming cable set --as it works for multiple radio brands and is plug-and-play.   I used it on Baofeng and Retevis = very nice and easy.

https://www.amazon.com/MIRKIT-Baofeng-Programming-Compatible-Radios/dp/B09LD2HCZV/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&sr=1-5

I quick internet search reveals to me that you need to buy a programing cable.   It’s the cable that has the chip and driver in it.  Again it keeps the cost down not including a programming cable for every radio. 

the usb is for charging.  This is what make it a feature you can charge from any basic cell phone charger or car charger and don’t need a cradle like older/other designs.