Icom FR4000 Programming question - COM Port Advice

WSCR525

Question

Hi myGMRS friends - can anyone help me with this?   It's as much a PC question as a repeater question:

Have an ICOM FR4000-3 repeater that I'm trying to get on the air for GMRS. The duplexer has been retuned and I am now seeking to program the repeater for new frequencies, etc.  I have the programming cable and CS-FR3000 cloning software installed on my Windows (Windows 11) computer.  The program runs, but I can't get the computer to recognize the radio and I suspect it's a COM port issue.  NOTE: I'm more of a Mac guy so the settings for PCs are not really my thing....   The software has four COM port settings, COM1 through COM4, and I see no way in the program to expand/alter this. None of these four will allow the radio to be recognized. I understand PCs have more than four COM ports so I'm wondering if my USB port is some other port, and if there is a way to get things to line up.  Suggestions? 

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, tcp2525 said:

Find out what com port your programming cable was assigned in Windows and manually change it to one that the software will recognize. That's it.

Thanks - That sounds good.  Where in Windows do I find the port assignments?