Vxr7000 programming

WQBU369

Question

Its a duplexer out of one of my ericsson drc 200 repeaters so should be tuned but maybe not , its been awhile since ive opened that repeater, i just took it out and used it with vxr7000 , it get 30 plus watts coming out so im thinking either tuning of duplexer is off or rx on repeater is shot cause i cant even key it from down the street , wondering if i have coaxs going to wrong side of duplexer , tx should be on low side of duplexer, 462 tx and 467 high side rx , correct ?

I assume the DRC was UHF correct. What was the duplexer tuned to ? They need specific tuning for the frequency you are trying to use. Also a duplexer can have close to 3db of loss. 3db is half your power so a 50 watt base would be 25 after duplexer. As far as ports yes normally TX Low (462) and RX High (467) on the duplexer. But again how was it tuned. 

How it was tuned im not sure but supposedly tuned for my pair , i took it out of an old repeater i had laying around and just programmed up the vxr7000 with my pair and put the duplexer inline but this weekend im gonna pulled it all apart again and run some more test without duplexer in line , maybe what’s happening is the repeater is passing to much to filter out and its getting into rx , i got to try different things , im just hoping the rx in repeater aint toast , thanks again for all the info , ill keep you guys posted 

2 hours ago, WQBU369 said:

Update , got programmed  up and running , i seem to have hot audio and a hum possible pl tone to hot or something, should i mess the tx adjust numbers ?

If you setup your repeater based on the config I sent you.... YES (maybe??). If not, disregard below.

The VXR7000 config I sent you was for a repeater I picked up for cheap ($100), configured it for a somewhat local repeater that was running on a couple of old Johnson mobiles and donated it to them under the disclaimer "It's programmed, if it works it works, if it doesn't oh well".  They still have the repeater online, but it is way over modulated (it will wake the dead on CWID), receive CTCSS tones work fine but they had to disable output CTCSS after I had programmed it because of hum or something else. I'm 35 miles away from the repeater and honestly the old Johnson setup worked better for me but the repeater owner wants to to run the VXR7000 because "it's a real repeater". I honestly don't know if it's something in the config file I sent you or if it's the repeater itself needing a bit of tuning, I never adjusted anything other than than the frequencies and tones, never messed with the TX or any other adjustment but it sounds like you have the same problem he does. A lot of the TX adjustment is done via software with the config file and have never messed with it but who knows what the previous owner did.

Drop me a note if you figure it out and I'll forward it over the the guy how owns the repeater now.