Mag antenna won't stay on roof.

Guest Alan

Guest Alan

I have a 2024 Chevy Silverado and the paint/coating is so "slippery" my mag mount antenna just slides off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might try something like these. They are rubber boots to protect the finish but also likely less slippy too. Most magnet mounts use a very thin sheet of plastic on the bottom.

https://www.arcantenna.com/products/laird-antenex-gro-rubber-boot-for-magnetic-nmo-mount-vehicular-antenna

https://strykerradios.com/product/sr-a10mm-magnetic-mount-protective-boot/

Note adding some thickness between the magnet mount base and the mounting surface will decrease the grip force. You may need a larger magnet mount base if you use the boot.

What antenna are you trying to use. The newer Silverados body materials do not have much metal in them.

If you trying to use a mag-mount for a CB Firestik antenna, forget it it won't work. A K40 with the heavy duty mag-mount base will work great.

If you are trying to use a mag-mount for a GMRS antenna, the Midland or Laird Mag-mounts will work great. The Midlands have the rubber boots and Laird do not.

Try using some Expel Paint Protection Film in the spot where you're go8ng to place the antenna. The film will keep the mag-mount from sliding and not cloud the paint if moisture gets between the two surfaces.

I'm using the protection film on my Silverado and Porsche without any problems

5 hours ago, Guest Alan said:

I have a 2024 Chevy Silverado and the paint/coating is so "slippery" my mag mount antenna just slides off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you feel any magnetic attraction at all when you place the mount on the roof? Or does it "sort of" stick until you start driving, then slides? What kind of mag mount? How big? What kind of antenna? Help us out here. My limited research on the 2024 Silverado reveals that it has some aluminum panels, but the roof is steel. 

From what I've observed magnet mounts seem to be rated in terms of "pounds of pull strength" which appears to be a rating of how many pounds of pressure or pull is needed to remove the magnet.  Again, just casual observations on the various magnet mounts offered for sale via Amazon suggests that the larger the magnet mount diameter the more pull strength it tends to have.  I would guess that getting a larger diameter magnet mount or one with more pull strength (or a smaller antenna with significantly less wind resistance) might allow you to overcome this issue of the mount slipping.   FWIW, I've a GMC Sierra and use a magnet mount with a 32" whip, with no issues.

But hey, I'm not a certified magnetologist, so your results may vary.  😉

1 hour ago, Alec said:

From what I've observed magnet mounts seem to be rated in terms of "pounds of pull strength" which appears to be a rating of how many pounds of pressure or pull is needed to remove the magnet.  Again, just casual observations on the various magnet mounts offered for sale via Amazon suggests that the larger the magnet mount diameter the more pull strength it tends to have.  I would guess that getting a larger diameter magnet mount or one with more pull strength (or a smaller antenna with significantly less wind resistance) might allow you to overcome this issue of the mount slipping.   FWIW, I've a GMC Sierra and use a magnet mount with a 32" whip, with no issues.

But hey, I'm not a certified magnetologist, so your results may vary.  😉

What year model?