Wouxun KG-905G custom frequencies won't transmit

WSDF290

Question

I have a KG-905G and try to program it to also communicate with a set of BAOFENG BF-888S.

The channel list and CTCSS/DCS used for each channel I found online. However I can't get some channels to work.

In particular their channel 5, which is the one I want to use as the event organizer want's to keep using it "have done it always that way". This channel is using frequency 462.525 and when I program it into the KG-905G it doesn't work. I can enter it into the programming software and it writes it into the radio, but when I press the PTT button nothing transmits. I'm sure it's not transmitting as I have a small loudspeaker that will start humming every time I press the PTT button, just not on this channel.

It seems like I can only program it to TX frequencies that are available in the dropdown of the software but I can program it to any RX frequency.

Anyone has experience with this or am I out of luck making this combination work?

Thanks! 

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WSDF290 said:

Thanks, that's what I feared that I can't use my own radio as it wont work with the Baofengs they have

It has nothing to do with the brand of radio. It is simply not a GMRS frequency and therefore a GMRS radio of any brand will not transmit on that frequency. Many brands have radios, business or ham, that will transmit on that frequency not just Baofeng.

18 hours ago, WSDF290 said:

I have a KG-905G and try to program it to also communicate with a set of BAOFENG BF-888S.

The channel list and CTCSS/DCS used for each channel I found online. However I can't get some channels to work.

In particular their channel 5, which is the one I want to use as the event organizer want's to keep using it "have done it always that way". This channel is using frequency 462.525 and when I program it into the KG-905G it doesn't work. I can enter it into the programming software and it writes it into the radio, but when I press the PTT button nothing transmits. I'm sure it's not transmitting as I have a small loudspeaker that will start humming every time I press the PTT button, just not on this channel.

It seems like I can only program it to TX frequencies that are available in the dropdown of the software but I can program it to any RX frequency.

Anyone has experience with this or am I out of luck making this combination work?

Thanks! 

Are they or you licensed for that frequency? As others have said it’s not GMRS.

That KG905G is a very good GMRS radio but it is not a radio programmed to use commercial frequencies. It is programmed to prevent you from violating regulations. Some Baofeng radios are also but people are attracted to the models that allow them to operate on oddball frequencies. The fines for operating like that can be steep but it’s highly unlikely to be cited.

If your club has a commercial license for that frequency then you will need a different radio. If your club wants to operate in the GMRS service, they’ll need to use one of the channels that the FCC set aside. 

24 minutes ago, WSDF290 said:

Thanks! 

462.525 is not a gmrs frequency that is why a gmrs radio will not transmit on it.  Gmrs channel 5 is 462.6625