What is the legality of this repeater..?

Durake

First off, to the Admins, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't decide if it was to go onto the fcc rules or general discussion.

http://www.mygmrs.com/view?id=2274

"New  System with link established to DMR and our own national network.  Available for use.  National network requires monthly service fee plus cost of portable radio"

3 things that scare me:

1, "link established to DMR and our own national network"

2, "aprox 100 mile range"

3, "available for use"

Doesn't sound legal or real to me. Anyone in the Austin area able to confirm the repeater is real?

I may try giving them a call later, says in the accounts description "Seacoast Telephone (James Black) is the owner of this account.  If you have questions about repeaters listed under our license, please call 603-758-6500 during normal business hours (8am to 5pm)."

First off, to the Admins, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't decide if it was to go onto the fcc rules or general discussion.

http://www.mygmrs.com/view?id=2274

"New  System with link established to DMR and our own national network.  Available for use.  National network requires monthly service fee plus cost of portable radio"

3 things that scare me:

1, "link established to DMR and our own national network"

2, "aprox 100 mile range"

3, "available for use"

Doesn't sound legal or real to me. Anyone in the Austin area able to confirm the repeater is real?

I may try giving them a call later, says in the accounts description "Seacoast Telephone (James Black) is the owner of this account.  If you have questions about repeaters listed under our license, please call 603-758-6500 during normal business hours (8am to 5pm)."

illegal in every way, GMRS can't be used for business and that sounds like a business billing you to use their illegal DMR repeater lol. 

I'll take a look and see if I can't figure out where it is. It could only be at one of a few sites to have any form of wide area coverage. Bee Cave, Trail of the Madrones, and a few more. I know it's not at Bee Cave. I know it's not on the Austonian (Bearcom is the only thing up there). Could be in one of the clusters at Trail of the Madrones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a DMR HAM and DMR Part 90 user I dont see this system as DMR. He has 100.0 Hz as an in and out tone yet DMR uses Color codes and Talk Groups. I think this guy put up a GMRS repeater and is using it to lure customers to lease space and purchase radios for his part 90 system. Just my guess but again if you know anything about DMR his listing is not providing any info on how to access it or what talk groups to use.

Corey

It seems a bit odd that the number listed is in New Hampshire for the "owner" of an Austin, TX repeater...

We live in an era of Nationwide systems. Look at Bearcom's licensing across the country for example. The don't link them all but provide the ability to rent time regionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I emailed him , and got this response....

Hi James,

I don't know if you are aware that DMR is illegal on GMRS, I don't know if you are using a DMR repeater in analog mode, but GMRS doesn't allow digital voice or use GMRS for business.

FCC fines are big, not worth it.

Carlos C.
WQVA578

HIS REPLY:

lol no we have gmrs analog kenwood system and we have a digital system that we can cross link legally as it's non radio based and third party traffic approved. already checked with the fcc. only cross link that is illegal is cross band to another uhf, vhf in any mode and auto patch unless used for control access only. 

it's all legit.

Just an observation here...

Emails that start with LOL, have no capitalization, and use sentence fragments, IMHO, are not only highly unprofessional (this guy wants you to believe he's got a pro system there.) and the content is also suspect. I give him 0 points for credibility.

We live in an era of Nationwide systems. Look at Bearcom's licensing across the country for example. The don't link them all but provide the ability to rent time regionally.

If it were a commercial LMR repeater that would make sense. However, a GMRS repeater that's located that far away? That makes no sense at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Living in Austin, I tried this repeater today from the top of the Murchison/Far West hill, adjacent to the Austin ISD I/B tower, but was unable to pass a signal through it.  I tried listening to it for several hours today and heard nothing.

Thanks for letting us know, if you have a little Baofeng and have free time, you may just try going through tones, have CSQ on RX and switch through the TX.