KG-935G PLUS

I received my new KG-935G Plus today. Reading through the manual learning as much as I can before I try using it! I am very new to this new still have a lot to learn! It has some really nice features and I am sure I will love using it, I purchased a book for beginners and have been reading through it. I seems fairly easy to learn and I know I will be using it often very soon. I live in Conway SC about 24 miles north of Myrtle Beach. There is a repeater near me and I am in the green zone so I should be able to us it ! There is another in Myrtle Beach that is maybe a little too far for me to hit unless I am in that area. 
i have searched google and I can’t find any GMRS groups or clubs in my area at all. If anyone knows of any please share with me so I can actually talk with people. I will be using them for personal use such as hiking and camping. Also talking between one vehicle to another traveling to areas we camp in. Anyway I want to thank everyone for their advice and helping me get started on this hobby or whatever you prefer 🙏🙏

IMG_2810.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

Congrats looks good.  They make nice radios.

Just remember… just because you are in the green zone does not mean you can hit the repeater.  All that is is an estimate of where the repeater can transmit to.   how far away from the closest repeater are you?   Do you have line of sight to it?   Gmrs is very much line of sight.  An ht radio can do 1mile or 50miles or more   Just depends on what if anything is in the way. 

17 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Congrats looks good.  They make nice radios.

Just remember… just because you are in the green zone does not mean you can hit the repeater.  All that is is an estimate of where the repeater can transmit to.   how far away from the closest repeater are you?   Do you have line of sight to it?   Gmrs is very much line of sight.  An ht radio can do 1mile or 50miles or more   Just depends on what if anything is in the way. 

Thank you, I am not exactly sure how far I am from it but easy enough to find out, as far as line of sight I don’t believe there is very much in the way, I do live in the country so there is lots of trees. I have a lot to learn my man !! But I will definitely learn.  Still reading up on everything! I really appreciate you pointing that out to me! I will check out the distance and go from there. 

1 minute ago, WSDE521 said:

Thank you, I am not exactly sure how far I am from it but easy enough to find out, as far as line of sight I don’t believe there is very much in the way, I do live in the country so there is lots of trees. I have a lot to learn my man !! But I will definitely learn.  Still reading up on everything! I really appreciate you pointing that out to me! I will check out the distance and go from there. 

Trees absorb UHF radio waves, so do plan on losing some range, possibly a lot of range in areas with dense foliage.

There's not that much to learn before you push to talk. If you have someone to talk to, pick a channel, optionally set a tone, and start talking. Identify with your call sign in your first transmission and every fifteen minutes of chatter after that. If you're using a repeater you will program the frequency and the correct tone, and then listen for awhile to understand how that repeater is used. When there's a break in the chatter you can ask for a signal report. Identify as before, and it's customary to sign out with <call sign> clear.

The rest you can learn as you go.

Congratulations on your new radio. Don’t feel like you got to figure it all out at once.

That said when you’re ready you may want to check out Chirp for programming (be sure to select the 935G Plus version). Randy (AKA Notarubicon) actually has some good videos (repeaters, programming with Chirp etc…) that you may find helpful. 😀

There are ham groups in your area you can contact. Many hams (like me) are dual licensed for both services. Some clubs have both services on repeaters also. My home club is looking into adding a GMRS repeater to our primary site as an example. I would begin by contacting the Myrtle Beach club to ask for assistance. https://w4gs.org/For-New-Hams/

35 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

There are ham groups in your area you can contact. Many hams (like me) are dual licensed for both services. Some clubs have both services on repeaters also. My home club is looking into adding a GMRS repeater to our primary site as an example. I would begin by contacting the Myrtle Beach club to ask for assistance. https://w4gs.org/For-New-Hams/

Thank you 🙏 

11 hours ago, dosw said:

Trees absorb UHF radio waves, so do plan on losing some range, possibly a lot of range in areas with dense foliage.

There's not that much to learn before you push to talk. If you have someone to talk to, pick a channel, optionally set a tone, and start talking. Identify with your call sign in your first transmission and every fifteen minutes of chatter after that. If you're using a repeater you will program the frequency and the correct tone, and then listen for awhile to understand how that repeater is used. When there's a break in the chatter you can ask for a signal report. Identify as before, and it's customary to sign out with <call sign> clear.

The rest you can learn as you go.

Thank you 🙏 

Pine and cedar trees are the worse when it comes to absorbing UHF radio waves. Our repeater range is limited to about 30-35 miles when using a mobile radio depending on location. There are a lot of hills and valleys with old growth hard wood trees along with lots of cedar trees.

Our GMRS repeater antennas are at 400 feet and our 2m and 70cm repeater antennas are at 900 feet on the same tower. I live 21.5 miles away from the tower. It is hit or miss on if I can get into the 70cm and GMRS repeaters with a hand held radio from my house, it depends on band conditions. I normally do not have any problems getting into the 2m repeater from home with a hand held.

I have several hand held radios and the Wouxun KG935G Plus and KG-Q10H work the best for me. I have an Icom IC-T10 (entry level) along with an Explorer QRZ-1 (rebranded TYT UV88) along with several Baofeng radios.The IC-T10 and QRZ-1 aren't much better than the Baofeng radios when it comes to RX/TX clarity and picking up interference.

I have to agree to reach out to the local GMRS repeater owners and your local ham club members. It is becoming more common for amateur radio license holders to also have their GMRS license. Most will be more than happy to help new people out.

Our club put up a GMRS repeater for an extra means of communication along with using GMRS as a possible stepping stone for those interested in amateur radio.

Congrats on the new 935G Plus, you will enjoy it. I will suggest using the actual Wouxun programing software that can be downloaded from Buy Two Way Radios for free. You will need a Windows computer to run the program, but it is easy to use.

As 926 said you might want to give the Wouxun software a try. My laptop is still running Windows 7 when it runs and I gave up on CHIRP because of that. I have never had a problem using the free software I downloaded from BTWR. I don't spend a lot of time programming my 935Gs but the Wouxun software works for what I do.

As far as repeaters go you can start by programming in the repeater information using the Channel Wizard menu (long press the menu button) on the 935G+ and then just listen to see if you hear anything. Take it with you when you are driving and see what you hear. I thought the Channel Wizard was just a gimmick until I used it when I was away from a computer. It makes thing pretty easy it you are only adding a few repeaters at a time or even just a frequency you want to listen to that are out of the transmission band. I have local LEO and Fire frequencies on mine. Those are not digital or trunked in my area.

It is a fun radio and I haven't figured out a way to mess up the programming on mine up in a way that couldn't be fixed. 

You might want to also consider not using software and just use the radio to do any programming. I have 3 KG935Gplus radios. Use them every day and have never connected them to a computer. These are very easy to set up on there own. In fact that was a requirement for me when looking for radios for back up comms, that they can be field programmed. Many new to GMRS are under the impression that computer programing their radios is needed before they can even be used. Not true.

Here is what I mean: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2024/05/why-wouxun-gmrs-radios-do-not-include-programming-cables-and-software.html

Anyway good choice! They are very good radios. Learn how to use the "Channel Wizard" makes setting up custom channels like for repeaters very quick and easy.

It is a sophisticated radio but can also be as simple as you need. To start just pick a channel on both radios and push to talk.

Good luck and have fun!

10 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

You might want to also consider not using software and just use the radio to do any programming. I have 3 KG935Gplus radios. Use them every day and have never connected them to a computer. These are very easy to set up on there own. In fact that was a requirement for me when looking for radios for back up comms, that they can be field programmed. Many new to GMRS are under the impression that computer programing their radios is needed before they can even be used. Not true.

Here is what I mean: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2024/05/why-wouxun-gmrs-radios-do-not-include-programming-cables-and-software.html

Anyway good choice! They are very good radios. Learn how to use the "Channel Wizard" makes setting up custom channels like for repeaters very quick and easy.

It is a sophisticated radio but can also be as simple as you need. To start just pick a channel on both radios and push to talk.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you I will check it out, the earlier it is the better for me at this time, I have a lot to learn so if it’s easier it is better for me at least until I learn more 🙏🙏

My 2nd KG-935g plus arrived yesterday. If it works as well as the first one I will be extremely happy!! I am considering buying 5-6 more so everyone in the family that is old enough can have one when we go hiking and camping. My son can keep 4 at his house for the same reason and in an emergency he will have them for his wife and two oldest children. 

The KG-935G+ is overkill for kids and people that are not into radio. I would get one of the lower models like the KG-805G or maybe the KG-905G instead. They are simpler and less intimidating while being very capable as well as less expensive. They are all commercial quality and very durable.

1 hour ago, WSDE521 said:

My 2nd KG-935g plus arrived yesterday. If it works as well as the first one I will be extremely happy!! I am considering buying 5-6 more so everyone in the family that is old enough can have one when we go hiking and camping. My son can keep 4 at his house for the same reason and in an emergency he will have them for his wife and two oldest children. 

Quick note: There is no minimum age for family members.

Which reminds me, before I got into GMRS I asked a user why he had the radios for his kids when they could just use cell phones.  He said, "I don't want Junior dropping a $500 phone over the side of the canoe." :)