My 2 favorite Radios so far.

WSAA635

Out of all the radios I've picked up so far 2 really stand out. The 1st is the Wouxun 805G. For a good, basic radio that's easy to use it's hard to beat. The battery also stays charged between times where it's not used.

The 2nd one is the Talkpod A36 Plus. With 7 bands you can listen to a lot of stuff including Air Band. It also holds a charge during timed of non-use.

These are pretty much my 2 "go to" radios.

Which radios have ya'll found that really stand out?

I’ve had all types of radios over the years.  Still have many of them from wouxuns, to Kenwoods and Motorolas to all types of boofwangs.   The radios that get used each and every day are the baofeng uv9 radios with 771 antennas. They are cheap enough to loose or grow legs.  I can hand them out to people or give them away.  They are water proof. I’ve dropped them many times in the streams and rugged enough for our use.   They go hiking, hunting, horse back riding, quads dirt bikes the list goes on and on. They have been left out in the rain and snow and on the dash boards of trucks in 120 deg days.   They get used for fire emergency evacuations and do the 30 miles we need them to do.    Like i said I’ve got many different hand helds but these go out each and every day.   Not the best but do what we need them to do at the price we need them to be at.  Plus having MURS and local emergency services is a plus.   

So, for analog use I tend to reach for my trusty Kenwood TK-3170. Lately for digital, DMR, I'm using my Kenwood NX-1300DUK5.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/263-tk-3170jpg/?context=new

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/290-nx-1300duk5/?context=new

Normally when I'm out I carry one or the other. Currently I'm using the NX-1300 since the mall, somerset Collection in Troy, I'm going to walk around for exorcise uses DMR for the security and house keeping. Both I typically monitor. Where I use to go, Lakeside mall which used analog only, is now permanently closed.

From what I've seen the mall security uses Hytera radios. They look like the PD602I models.

https://www.hytera.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/PD6i-Series_11062018_Web-1.pdf

On 9/4/2024 at 10:39 PM, WRXP381 said:

I’ve had all types of radios over the years.  Still have many of them from wouxuns, to Kenwoods and Motorolas to all types of boofwangs.   The radios that get used each and every day are the baofeng uv9 radios with 771 antennas. They are cheap enough to loose or grow legs.  I can hand them out to people or give them away.  They are water proof. I’ve dropped them many times in the streams and rugged enough for our use.   They go hiking, hunting, horse back riding, quads dirt bikes the list goes on and on. They have been left out in the rain and snow and on the dash boards of trucks in 120 deg days.   They get used for fire emergency evacuations and do the 30 miles we need them to do.    Like i said I’ve got many different hand helds but these go out each and every day.   Not the best but do what we need them to do at the price we need them to be at.  Plus having MURS and local emergency services is a plus.   

My best performing radios are the Baofeng UV5G+, and the Tidradio H3 when paired with a Nagoya 771G antenna.  I get the best receive reports with these two as far as signal strength and clarity.  Also they reach further repeaters than some of my other radios.

That said, to piggy back on what WRXP381 said, the Baofeng UV9G radio is my most often used radio.  It's my EDC basically.  I did have some issues initially with the signal dropping with the stock antenna, but I replaced it with the Tidradio H3 antenna when I took that off to put the Nagoya on there.  The Tidradio antenna works really well with the UV9G.  Keeps it more compact than the extended to throw in a pocket, keep on a belt clip, throw in the car, etc. and performs well enough.  I haven't dropped the radio in any streams yet but have dropped it on the ground multiple times, no issues.  It's a solid, rugged radio.

I'm kinda partial to the two Boofwang AR-5RM's I bought. They do what I need them to and also let me listen to GSP (Greenville Spartanburg SC) airport.

Plus they're.......well......cheap.... and easy to program. But work pretty well. And I'm currently working on getting my wife to use one.

Says the man who's only been licensed a couple of months.

21 minutes ago, LeeBo said:

I'm kinda partial to the two Boofwang AR-5RM's I bought. They do what I need them to and also let me listen to GSP (Greenville Spartanburg SC) airport.

Plus they're.......well......cheap.... and easy to program. But work pretty well. And I'm currently working on getting my wife to use one.

Says the man who's only been licensed a couple of months.

Keep up the good work.  After seeing me participate in the local net and serve as net control my wife seems to take a greater interest in it.  I wouldn’t say she’s chomping at the bit, but she has enough of an interest to ask questions and offer to help support my activities. It can’t be forced though.