If "Open System," why the "Request Access" button?

NotARubiksCube

Have patience... I'm a total GMRS noob. Most repeaters in my area are labeled "Open System" and the frequency and in/out tones are provided. Although it's labeled "open" and I have the information requried to use the repeater, there's an active "Request Access" button.

Do I need to request access from the owner before using repeaters listed like this?

thx

Check for information below the repeater listing. Some owners will put additional information there. I know it doesn’t make much sense but I have heard that some people have not been able to remove the request button while others like to know who is using the repeater even though it is open. If you can’t get a response try asking on the repeater. If the button is there and no message to disregard it then it is a good idea to request permission. 

Opened or closed the FCC said you can't block people from using a GMRS repeater. If you put up a repeater you better expect someone will use it. The FCC will only address issues if someone is causing problems on a repeater, not if they're talking on it however. If I put up a Repeater I wouldn't try to hide it or request people ask to talk on it. We have the Orlando 700 and as long as nobody is blocking transmissions anyone can talk on it. No you don't need permission from the repeater owner to use GMRS frequencies regardless of the repeater being private property. You're not violating private property laws by using a repeater that's on GMRS frequencies. If you want to control who can use your repeater you need a private business (IG) license. GMRS is a shared bases only except those that were grandfathered in years ago.

31 minutes ago, CentralFloridaGMRS said:

FCC said you can't block people from using a GMRS repeater

Oh please show us where they said this 🤣🤣🤣
You are flat wrong. Here’s what the FCC says

d) Individual licensee duties. The holder of an individual license:

(1) Shall determine specifically which individuals, including family members, are allowed to operate (i.e., exercise operational control over) its GMRS station(s) (see paragraph (c) of this section);

(2) May allow any person to use (i.e., benefit from the operation of) its GMRS repeater, or alternatively, may limit the use of its GMRS repeater to specific persons;

(3) May disallow the use of its GMRS repeater by specific persons as may be necessary to carry out its responsibilities under this section.

FCC Rule Part 95.1705:

(b) Individual licensee responsibility. The holder of an individual license to operate GMRS stations is responsible at all times for the proper operation of the stations in compliance with all applicable rules in this part.

(d) Individual licensee duties. The holder of an individual license:

(1) Shall determine specifically which individuals, including family members, are allowed to operate (i.e.,exercise operational control over) its GMRS station(s) (seeparagraph (c) of this section);

(2) May allow any person to use (i.e., benefit from the operation of) its GMRS repeater, or alternatively, may limit the use of its GMRS repeater to specific persons;

(3) May disallow the use of its GMRS repeater by specific persons as may be necessary to carry out its responsibilities under this section.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E/section-95.1705

6 minutes ago, WRCQ487 said:

FCC Rule Part 95.1705:

(b) Individual licensee responsibility. The holder of an individual license to operate GMRS stations is responsible at all times for the proper operation of the stations in compliance with all applicable rules in this part.

(d) Individual licensee duties. The holder of an individual license:

(1) Shall determine specifically which individuals, including family members, are allowed to operate (i.e.,exercise operational control over) its GMRS station(s) (seeparagraph (c) of this section);

(2) May allow any person to use (i.e., benefit from the operation of) its GMRS repeater, or alternatively, may limit the use of its GMRS repeater to specific persons;

(3) May disallow the use of its GMRS repeater by specific persons as may be necessary to carry out its responsibilities under this section.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E/section-95.1705

Copy cat 😉😀🤣

23 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Oh please show us where they said this 🤣🤣🤣
You are flat wrong. Here’s what the FCC says

d) Individual licensee duties. The holder of an individual license:

(1) Shall determine specifically which individuals, including family members, are allowed to operate (i.e., exercise operational control over) its GMRS station(s) (see paragraph (c) of this section);

(2) May allow any person to use (i.e., benefit from the operation of) its GMRS repeater, or alternatively, may limit the use of its GMRS repeater to specific persons;

(3) May disallow the use of its GMRS repeater by specific persons as may be necessary to carry out its responsibilities under this section.

So please explain to me how they actually disallow someone? The FCC won't go after any licensed GMRS user that talks on a repeater as long as they are not jamming the repeater etc. So someone is using your repeater. You don't allow them to do so. You contact the FCC and you expect them to do what?  That's my point on this issue. If you put up a repeater the FCC won't help you if you don't want someone talking on it. 

1 hour ago, CentralFloridaGMRS said:

So please explain to me how they actually disallow someone? The FCC won't go after any licensed GMRS user that talks on a repeater as long as they are not jamming the repeater etc. 

Are you saying your that guy that "no means no" doesn't apply to? Because you're the one telling people they don't need permission. 

It's not a problem for me. I go by typical societal norms, if I were asked not to use a repeater I wouldn't use it. Why would I?  Seems simple enough to me. If someone says no and you keep being a dick and using their repeater I'm gonna guess they would file a complaint and at the very least having said no, the repeater owner is no longer responsible for the actions of the denied persons actions on their equipment.

Lots of people put up repeaters for private use, for family, for farms... I like the idea of open repeaters but you are not inherently entitled to use someones repeater. Telling a self professed noob that they don't need permission to use someones repeater while making false claims that the FCC said the repeater owner can't stop you is in poor judgment. That isn't correct and it isn't helpful to someone looking for real information.  

It seems to me that FCC intends the GMRS community to be mostly self-regulating, and act like grownups. I therefore presume that any rules they make that venture into the realm of unenforceable etiquette are simply intended to work on the honor system. If that's the case, then the only real value of the rule is to provide a basis to resolve conflicts resulting from someone without permission using a repeater as a tool to jam its frequencies on an ongoing basis. In a case like that, I suppose they could see fit to expend the necessary resources to go jackass hunting.

11 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Are you saying your that guy that "no means no" doesn't apply to? Because you're the one telling people they don't need permission. 

It's not a problem for me. I go by typical societal norms, if I were asked not to use a repeater I wouldn't use it. Why would I?  Seems simple enough to me. If someone says no and you keep being a dick and using their repeater I'm gonna guess they would file a complaint and at the very least having said no, the repeater owner is no longer responsible for the actions of the denied persons actions on their equipment.

Lots of people put up repeaters for private use, for family, for farms... I like the idea of open repeaters but you are not inherently entitled to use someones repeater. Telling a self professed noob that they don't need permission to use someones repeater while making false claims that the FCC said the repeater owner can't stop you is in poor judgment. That isn't correct and it isn't helpful to someone looking for real information.  

I'm taking the side of the repeater owner who wants it to remain private. My point being that the FCC will not help you in any way if you report someone for using your repeater. People take two sides on this. One is that the repeater is private property and the other is it's on the public gmrs channels and the FCC won't do a thing to help you. As far as I know, nobody has ever been fined for talking on a private repeater.  I just find it interesting that the FCC doesn't have any way to actually fine anyone that talks on one.