Noob attempting to hit repeater

Demi

Question

Hey guys, Im new, and off to a bit of a rough start. I got my callsign and permission to use my local repeater, but I am unable to make contact with the repeater, and I think my settings may be the issue.

Gear:

Motoraola MS350R

Midland MXT400

Baofeng BF-F8HP

Repeater settings:

Output: 462.675 141.3hz

Input:  467.675   141.3hz

I have a Midland MXT400 with the Radio tuned to GMRS20 Repeater, with the tone set to 141.3. I have my Baofeng set to 462.675, + 005.000 for offset, with both the RX and TX tones set to 141.3. With these settings I can TX to the Midland from the Baofeng, but not the other way round. Have I made a setup error? Thanks in advance for the help.

19 answers to this question

Hey guys, Im new, and off to a bit of a rough start. I got my callsign and permission to use my local repeater, but I am unable to make contact with the repeater, and I think my settings may be the issue.

Gear:

Motoraola MS350R

Midland MXT400

Baofeng BF-F8HP

Repeater settings:

Output: 462.675 141.3hz

Input: 467.675 141.3hz

I have a Midland MXT400 with the Radio tuned to GMRS20 Repeater, with the tone set to 141.3. I have my Baofeng set to 462.675, + 005.000 for offset, with both the RX and TX tones set to 141.3. With these settings I can TX to the Midland from the Baofeng, but not the other way round. Have I made a setup error? Thanks in advance for the help.

Make sure you put some distance between the Midland and the Baofeng. Remember the Midland is putting out as much as 40 Watts of signal on 462mhz,. This is likely crushing the ability of the Baofeng to hear what is coming from the repeater on 467mhz. As it is, the Baofeng has crap for filters, but even a high-end ht would likely have the same problem with that scenario. Try getting someone to listen to the ht while it is farther away from the mobile... Maybe down the block a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

For your radios to talk to each other through the repeater, both radios should transmit on the 467.675 frequency and receive on 462.675. Transmit on both should be set for the PL of 141.3, but leave receive on carrier squelch or CSQ for now. That way you will hear all traffic on the channel and know if you are getting through the repeater. If there's interference from other users, etc., you can always enable the Rx PL later on.

As Dahwg pointed out, you need some space between your two radios and for exactly the reasons stated. A block is probably a bit much, but start with 20 feet and see how it goes. With a little experimentation, you'll find the sweet spot. My Motorola gear doesn't have this problem, and I can have them both on in the truck with no desense.

Edit to add: If I were in your place, I would disable the offset and just manually program both Tx and Rx to these frequencies. I hear more folks having problems with incorrect offsets. Better to just set each frequency and know it is right.

Guys, thank you so much for responding. I will put all your suggestions in action this evening and see what I end up with.

I am currently researching how to manually enter both freqs on the Baofeng, but my MXT I dont think allows for customs offsets.

I'm wondering too, if I am being a little too optimistic about the repeater range, or the range of my equipment. Looking at the coverage circle I'm well within the boundary, and roughly 2.5 to 3 miles from the repeater at the absolute most. Im using a 6db gain antenna on the MXT400, at full power. Seems like it would be more than enough, but if I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't need as much hand holding.  :D

Thanks so much for the help and patience. 

I have trouble with GMRS repeaters that are listed within coverage, too, being certain to enter RX, TX, offset and PL correctly. But, sometimes I feel It's my equipment, other times, I've noticed that myGMRS.com doesn't always show accurate information regarding the repeaters. I'm not implying It's myGMRS, but, some users don't update the log when information has been changed or the repeater is offline. Although I would love to see more working repeaters for the GMRS users that especially want to stay in touch with they're family, elderly or otherwise, GMRS doesn't have as much interest as amateur frequencies unfortunately. Except for simplex as comms.

Yeah, I am a little surprised by the lack of interest. It seems to fit my needs which is car to car, hunting, and camping. There probably is a better solution for what I am trying to do, I'm just unaware of it. 

using your BF radio set to listen on 467.675 to insure you are actually TX'ing on that specific frequency. I can tell you the MS350r does work on a repeater although at half the distance of a BF uv5r and has a less than desirable sound.

I agree. I think GMRS is a great service and generally suits my needs as well. Some users such as myself just need general communication and most cases, GMRS covers that range. When simplex on GMRS is out of range, a GMRS repeater could be enough within town, even a bit further based on some aspects. Also with the rules allowing a callsign to cover family members, something amateur licensing doesn't do. And there's many elderly or disabled family that has no will or interest into studying for an amateur license to be legal even if the other party did they're part. I feel that the GMRS could become a more used service or progress if some users contributed. A service can't expand if no one contributes to allow it to. I may have to plan on a repeater for my town.

I agree. I think GMRS is a great service and generally suits my needs as well. Some users such as myself just need general communication and most cases, GMRS covers that range. When simplex on GMRS is out of range, a GMRS repeater could be enough within town, even a bit further based on some aspects. Also with the rules allowing a callsign to cover family members, something amateur licensing doesn't do. And there's many elderly or disabled family that has no will or interest into studying for an amateur license to be legal even if the other party did they're part. I feel that the GMRS could become a more used service or progress if some users contributed. A service can't expand if no one contributes to allow it to. I may have to plan on a repeater for my town.

That's how it's done, build it for your own use and share with others.

I would love to do this as well, but it seems really daunting at this stage. Finding info on wiring two mobiles together (because off the shelf seems crazy expensive) has proved very difficult. I would be ecstatic to find a way to wire two mxt400s together.

with a control box and a mobile duplexor, you should be able to use a hand held as the RX radio and use only one of the more expensive mobile radios as the TX for it's TX power. could save another 75 to 100, used mobile duplexors can be found on fleabay, around $100. watch out for Cheap Chinese Duplexors. If you are also a Ham, you may be able to get it tuned by another Ham for free, and maybe learn how he does it at the same time.

with a control box and a mobile duplexor, you should be able to use a hand held as the RX radio and use only one of the more expensive mobile radios as the TX for it's TX power. could save another 75 to 100, used mobile duplexors can be found on fleabay, around $100. watch out for Cheap Chinese Duplexors. If you are also a Ham, you may be able to get it tuned by another Ham for free, and maybe learn how he does it at the same time.

Hey now thats a slick idea. I hadnt thought about it but you really only need the power on the hot side. If you have the time, Im sure you have explained this before, but could you elaborate on what "tuning a repeater" entails?  

you would need access to a spectrum analyzer as well as someone who knows how to use it. this is used to tune the separation between 462.xxx and 467.xxx. I gave mine to a local HAM and he tuned with dummy load. Now I wish to have it tuned in place. 

Hi Guys and girls :)

I am trying to work with chirp to program my radio. Here is what I think the Fort Myers repeater (first the page for its info: https://www.mygmrs.com/view?id=2391

Now here is the snap shot 

its # 7 GRMS3 http://imgur.com/07Y3RIT

I hope I am right.

Thanks and 73

Michael 

I am gonna post this in other areas just in case this is not the right spot.