All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. thanks i was already looking at the KG-UV9D for amateur radio now i found my gmrs handheld Wouxun KG-935G thankyou for the posting and sharing
  3. The biggest problem is they bought so many companies. If they go under we lose all lot of companies. Like ameritron. Albeit many of them would be gone if MFJ hadn't bought them in the first place. Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
  4. Just a friendly heads up. When asking questions about repeaters don’t post specific info on the repeater unless you are in the private (members only) area of the forum. So maybe just don’t include the name of the repeater or leave out specific tones. Here’s the what and why per forum rules located here. Private content. Do not post sensitive information such as repeater PL/DPL (also known as privacy or CTCSS/DCS tones) tones outside of the Private Discussion forum. This is to protect sensitive information from being picked up and indexed by search engines such as Google and Bing. The N indicates Normal while an I would be for Inverted. As you mentioned there is a +5 for Tx. It is worth noting that the +5 is automatically added on the preset repeater channels of GMRS radios and won’t require you to add it. You may know this already so I mean no disrespect by mentioning it, just trying to help. It sounds like you are on the right path.
  5. @kidphc I really hope he sells to someone. It won't be the same, im sure... but it would be nice if someone is willing to carry on the legacy.
  6. Thought it was a rumor on reddit. They have been trying to sell. I really thought dxenginnering was going to pick them up. Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
  7. I'm heartbroken. We're losing some affordable, quality products soon. https://youtu.be/1r-RxIvw5zY?si=6sdAppWmYd1rrqP7
  8. thanks for the info that is my next radio the Wouxun KG-935G for g.m.r.s. and the KG-UV9D for amateur radio
  9. Yea looks like a good start I’m only slightly ahead of that. 12 currently and 3 more on the way. Big family.
  10. I blame you for getting me started down this slippery slope! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Yesterday
  12. GM-5RH worked in Chirp for my UV-5G plus. MohawkMike actually found it on Baofens's website.
  13. My HT collection/journey thus far! Radios in order of acquisition from left-to-right: Baofeng UB-5G, Baofeng UV-5G+, Tidradio TD-H3, Tidradio TD-H8, Wouxun KG-S88G. If you have any questions about any of these radios, feel free to ask! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. The pinouts I got was when using my standard RJ12/RJ45 cable tester with the connectors both facing the same direction ( clip on bottom). I tested both the short cable and the long extension cable. IMG_3755.MOV
  15. The manual description says to swap pins 5 and 7, but that is after flipping over the connector. So if both ends are facing up with the strips facing you... 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, 5-2, 6-3, 7-4, 8-1 I had to draw it out because it made my head hurt a bit.... but I'm pretty sure that makes the cable uni-directional. Like you suggested, I'd do some testing long before sticking that in my hole radio.
  16. Thank you sir. I was having the same trouble with being able to hear but not be heard. I changed my settings and bam, I am now heard.
  17. You can't always rely on the brand name either. My Wouxun KG-Q10H and KG-935G both outperform my Icom IC-T10. And with the global market, most companies source parts from China and/or have their products made in China. Yaesu is having some of their radios produced in China now.
  18. Wouldn't it be nice if the "real" radio manufacturer's would make dedicated GMRS radios? But they don't! So just what is the dividing line between good and junk anyway? It seems some of you think all dedicated GMRS radios on the market are junk because they are not made by Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, etc. Maybe some day they will step up until then I am happy with the performance, reliability and features of my Wouxun radios. Been using a pair of 935G+'s daily for over a year and not a single problem has come up. What else do you need?
  19. Talking to the space station or satellite is a little different since there is a completely open sign of sight from the ground up to space. And I am glad to hear that you can talk that far. But that is definitely not going to be the norm for most people. And it doesn't matter if it is a $20 hand held radio or a $1000 hand held radio, UHF is only going to reach so far depending on location and terrain. UHF is a line of sight. After a certain point then the curvature of the earth will come into effect. UHF doesn't skip off the atmosphere like HF does. My last reply to this thread is based on personal first hand experience using VHF and UHF while I was in the military. Now if we were on top of the Granite Mountains on Ft Irwin, then we could reach farther with a hand held, but we still weren't getting the range you say you are getting.
  20. It's not a HT, it's a mobile unit , 20W's. I'll keep working on it. There are trees in between though, that may be it. Thanks for the answers ! FYI, I know there is a 5 meg diff between Tx and Rx.
  21. If the repeate comes up and you still can't make it. Might be worth finding a high peak closer to the repeater. Especially, with a ht. Not all repeaters are created equal. Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
  22. So I have the Encode set correctly at D423N as shown in the original post. Ok, I'll keep working on it. Interestingly, this repeater has been down for 4 days, Not a peep on that channel.
  23. Ummm since you brought up the high desert of California (fort Erwin) our clubs repeater is on the mountain in crest line ca. we have many people in our club from Huntington Beach that reach it with hand helds all the time. As well I get from wrightwood area to Rosamond and even tehachapi and Barstow as well as calico on a $20 ht. So it happens all the time. You’re the same type of guy that tells me I can not talk to Las Vegas with a 20w $125 base station over 200miles away. Again 4/5w and even 8w doesn’t really matter as far as what maker of radio you have for distance. People talk to the space station with $20 uv5rs all the time. A $20 ht will for sure transmit just as far has a $500 ht. So it’s still all about features and quality. Those are personal decisions that no one can decide but the end user.
  24. Everyone's most favorite hand held radio is the best.... And not a single sole can change that
  25. You do not have to have a tone on receive. Since the tones block incomming messages that don't have matching tones. You would hear it if no tones are set on your radio, even if they have tones enabled. If you don't have tones on receive you will hear all transmissions on that frequency. No tones on encode shouldn't not be done (most repeaters have tones on input). So that it will ignore and not repeat any transmission that don't have matching tones. To complicate things more, there is cross repeater talk as well as repeaters with multiple tones. Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.