Wouxan KG-1000g plus faceplate data cable

Gnarlykaw

Question

Nine times….. all of them FAILED to work.  The best I have ever got was a power up, but stuck on sync data.  Even tried pass thru RJ45, and still failed.   YES, I swapped pi’s 5 and 7 on ONE connector…

I have done dozens of RJ45 connectors for video cameras for alarms and have had zero problems making lines for these…

the original patch cord was defective, and I just thought I would try to make one…

tool operator error?   Blind old guy??

Anybody have any luck making one??

12 answers to this question

The Wouxun KG-1000G cable is not a standard straight through or crossover cable. Pins 5 and 7 are crossed.

Here is the pinout for the KG-1000G cable

• 1 - 1
  • 2 - 2
  • 3 - 3
  • 4 - 4
  • 5 - 7
  • 6 - 6
  • 7 - 5
  • 8 - 8

I will suggest getting a cable tester for testing. Here is one on Amazon that will test 6 wire cables with RJ12 connectors and 8 wire cables with RJ45 connectors.

RJ45 Network Cable Tester for Lan Phone RJ45/RJ11/RJ12/CAT5/CAT6/CAT7 UTP Wire Test Tool

As noted by WRYZ926, the sequence is a bit difference. Definitely use a standard cable tester and couple the OEM cable to your new cable build for testing. The indicators should light up like a normal cable. FWIW, the extension I made took 6 tries before it was of sufficient quality. Hang in there. YOU CAN DO IT!

thought i would come back and give an update....

I ended up sending the radio back to BTWR, because i was convinced that the radio HAD a failure.  Sure enough, they tested it and found fault in the faceplate.  they warranted to unit, and the new one came two days ago.   YES, I have a plethora of different length data cables, all shielded, that work PERFECT!   The permanent install starts tomorrow...

Although, it appears that CHIRP has NO solid program for this radio, and im having some difficulty with the WOUXUN data cable....

2 hours ago, Gnarlykaw said:

thought i would come back and give an update....

I ended up sending the radio back to BTWR, because i was convinced that the radio HAD a failure.  Sure enough, they tested it and found fault in the faceplate.  they warranted to unit, and the new one came two days ago.   YES, I have a plethora of different length data cables, all shielded, that work PERFECT!   The permanent install starts tomorrow...

Although, it appears that CHIRP has NO solid program for this radio, and im having some difficulty with the WOUXUN data cable....

Congrats!

On 3/27/2024 at 8:51 PM, WRYZ926 said:

The Wouxun KG-1000G cable is not a standard straight through or crossover cable. Pins 5 and 7 are crossed.

Here is the pinout for the KG-1000G cable

• 1 - 1
  • 2 - 2
  • 3 - 3
  • 4 - 4
  • 5 - 7
  • 6 - 6
  • 7 - 5
  • 8 - 8

I will suggest getting a cable tester for testing. Here is one on Amazon that will test 6 wire cables with RJ12 connectors and 8 wire cables with RJ45 connectors.

RJ45 Network Cable Tester for Lan Phone RJ45/RJ11/RJ12/CAT5/CAT6/CAT7 UTP Wire Test Tool

The manual description says to swap pins 5 and 7, but that is after flipping over the connector.  So if both ends are facing up with the strips facing you...

1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, 5-2, 6-3, 7-4, 8-1 

I had to draw it out because it made my head hurt a bit.... but I'm pretty sure that makes the cable uni-directional. Like you suggested, I'd do some testing long before sticking that in my hole radio.  

wouxun_face.png

Interesting... when I tested both the short and the extension cable.... it looks like they are wired 1-1 through 8-8 (like a standard ethernet cable) with just pins 5 + 7 flipped.  I also noticed that on my extension cable, the second pin is shorted.  So... it may work (depending on what pin 2 does), but I'm going to reach back to buy2wayradios to see if they can swap it out. (before I go through the suck task of taking apart half the interior of my vehicle to install it).

Long.JPG

short.JPG

8 minutes ago, WROA496 said:

Interesting... when I tested both the short and the extension cable.... it looks like they are wired 1-1 through 8-8 (like a standard ethernet cable) with just pins 5 + 7 flipped.  I also noticed that on my extension cable, the second pin is shorted.  So... it may work (depending on what pin 2 does), but I'm going to reach back to buy2wayradios to see if they can swap it out. (before I go through the suck task of taking apart half the interior of my vehicle to install it).

Long.JPG

short.JPG

Yes, pin 2 is grounded in the short cable and I tried it with and without and it made no difference when you make your own cable. The only caveat is cable length.  It starts to loose packets/communications when you go longer than the supplied extension cable. We had to learn this one the hard way. I reached out to B2WR and they said there is no solution.  We are very bummed. Good luck

Tony

15 minutes ago, WROA496 said:

Interesting... when I tested both the short and the extension cable.... it looks like they are wired 1-1 through 8-8 (like a standard ethernet cable) with just pins 5 + 7 flipped.

I found the same thing with pins 5 and 7 swapped. It was the same with the short cable and the extension cable. None of my cables showed Pin shorted at all. I tested the short and extension cables on my KG-1000G and KG-1000G Plus.