8 replies to this topic

#1 parighttobeararms

parighttobeararms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQZG351

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:12 PM

when are we going to be able to go to DMR on the GMRS Service i would love it to see us able to use DMR on the gmrs System 

#2 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Somewhere between sometime and never, I suspect.

#3 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:49 PM

when are we going to be able to go to DMR on the GMRS Service i would love it to see us able to use DMR on the gmrs System 

Since the FCC just incorporated new rules for FRS and GMRS (and the other services under Part 95) after several years of comment and review, I would not expect them to revisit that part of the rules for at least 5 to 10 years or more.

There are a number of previous threads here discussing the process and the final R&O published by the FCC that explained everything that they considered after receiving comments for a long period of time. I would encourage you to find those threads and familiarize yourself with the R&O and all the attendant issues that were considered.

The basic summary is that digital of any kind is not allowed on GMRS. It's a dead issue.

• jwilkers likes this

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#4 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1238 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 05:50 AM

https://www.ecfr.gov....1.1.5&rgn=div5

Scroll down to section  95.1771

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, please read the Forum Disclaimer located here:

https://forums.mygmr...responsibility/

PastorGary -
Senior Moderator

MyGMRS Forums

#5 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

The basic summary is that digital of any kind is not allowed on GMRS. It's a dead issue.

§95.1787(a)(1) -  "Digital data transmissions. GMRS hand-held portable units that have the capability to transmit digital data must be designed to meet the following requirements."

#6 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

§95.1787(a)(1) - "Digital data transmissions. GMRS hand-held portable units that have the capability to transmit digital data must be designed to meet the following requirements."

I could have phrased my statement a bit better. The OP was asking about DMR which is much different than allowing short data bursts in an otherwise analog environment. So I should have more accurately said that digital transmission modes like DMR and P-25 are a dead issue for the foreseeable future. The FCC is not going to revisit GMRS and FRS anytime soon.
  • Hans likes this

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#7 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:54 AM

I could have phrased my statement a bit better. The OP was asking about DMR which is much different than allowing short data bursts in an otherwise analog environment. So I should have more accurately said that digital transmission modes like DMR and P-25 are a dead issue for the foreseeable future. The FCC is not going to revisit GMRS and FRS anytime soon.

Yep. I knew that you were focused on the topic; DMR. I just dropped my reply in so that others, down the road, might have clarification that you didn't actually mean, "digital of any kind is not allowed."

I agree with you completely... It's all good.

#8 WRAF213

WRAF213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA, USA
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF213
  • Ham Callsign:KJ6PSG

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

The FCC's concern with digital modes on GMRS is the loss of interoperability with existing GMRS and FRS radios. Users operating analog will receive interference from digital users and will be unable to contact the digital users; this is why the FCC limits how frequently data transmissions can be sent, anything that isn't analog voice is interference to analog voice users. The problem gets worse with multiple incompatible digital modes on the same channel. Unlike Part 90 and 97 operation, FRS/GMRS technical standards effectively dictate that all certified units must be able to interoperate because there is a limited set of channels that are shared by a large number of users.

In the Part 90 reform fact sheet, the FCC states "We also note that seven parties filed petitions for rulemaking requesting that we allow a time division multiple access (TDMA) modulation technique (i.e., 7K60FXE 2‐slot DMR TDMA) on GMRS frequencies to facilitate digital emissions and narrowbanding to increase capacity on GMRS channels. We deny these petitions. As explained above, the ability of GMRS licensees to communicate with each other is essential for the “listen before talk” etiquette, self-policing, and emergency calls that occur on these shared channels, and introducing a new modulation technique that is inconsistent with existing equipment would complicate the shared environment of GMRS channels. Further, with the use of the interstitial channels by GMRS and FRS units, we do not feel that the gains achieved by implementing narrowband digital techniques outweigh the losses in equipment investments and complications of introducing a new modulation scheme for GMRS radios."

• Hans likes this

#9 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCentral New York
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

I know this topic comes up every couple of months. I have a group of friends who are radio guys. In the past we used MURs, then GMRS, and even some public safety stuff. Most of them are hams also but not all. Solution. Get a UHF Land Mobile frequency and do what we want on it. Yes coordination can be a pain, but most of the frequency coordinators can give you a good idea of frequency use in your area. I think all in all we spent around $500 but they got a license, do DMR and used the same repeater site they had for the GMRS stuff. Bonus was as guys want ot come online they no longer have to get a GMRS license.

I know this isn't the goal here, but if your set on a DMR radio go this way. We still use multiple GMRS repeaters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users