Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 26 November 2019 - 06:54 AM

Not to drag this topic further into further CCR bashing there is one important item to consider. The desire to get into radio is something many dont do any more nor have any interest. So the good thing is some people still want to. The issue with the Baofeng or any CCR is the performance as many he mentioned. The performance can impact the users "taste" of the hobby and many times they loose interest cause it doesn't do what it should. I have had this happen in the SAR world and also Amateur world on top of my GMRS repeaters. 90% of the folks that buy those complain they can't hit the repeater or are so broken up and unreadable more folks tell them its junk. This causes them to loose interest and leave the radio world. 

For me I started grabbing cheap good radios when i have extra cash and leave them sitting. When i get a person who wants to use a baofeng I hand them one of these and let them use it side by side. Normally 2 days later I get "hey can i buy this from you". There is alot of good radios out there dirt cheap that works well for GMRS. I recently picked up 6 HT1000 portables for $50.00. Threw some $20.00 batteries on them and programmed up for GMRS. I have one left in the box. 

If your truly interested in radio get a reputable radio or your expectations will not be met.

JMHO

• WRAF213 and gman1971 like this

#22 WREB270

WREB270

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREB270

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:54 AM

Not to drag this topic further into further CCR bashing there is one important item to consider. The desire to get into radio is something many dont do any more nor have any interest. So the good thing is some people still want to. The issue with the Baofeng or any CCR is the performance as many he mentioned. The performance can impact the users "taste" of the hobby and many times they loose interest cause it doesn't do what it should. I have had this happen in the SAR world and also Amateur world on top of my GMRS repeaters. 90% of the folks that buy those complain they can't hit the repeater or are so broken up and unreadable more folks tell them its junk. This causes them to loose interest and leave the radio world.

For me I started grabbing cheap good radios when i have extra cash and leave them sitting. When i get a person who wants to use a baofeng I hand them one of these and let them use it side by side. Normally 2 days later I get "hey can i buy this from you". There is alot of good radios out there dirt cheap that works well for GMRS. I recently picked up 6 HT1000 portables for $50.00. Threw some $20.00 batteries on them and programmed up for GMRS. I have one left in the box.

If your truly interested in radio get a reputable radio or your expectations will not be met.

JMHO

De ja vu... This is an excellent point. I first got bit by the radio bug when I was a kid in the 90's. No cell phones radio was the cool thing. 2007 I started getting FCC licenses starting with my GROL. Fell out of the hobby and started up again 10 years later. When I started up I had a friend start up with some cheap Chinese mobiles from Amazon. I bought a couple Baofeng handhelds that I didn't have much issue with. He ended up dropping out due to not getting what he wanted out of the underperforming radio just like you said. We have an excellent HAM community here but I'm not much into talking to complete strangers, I wanted to communicate with friends and family. So I dropped out of radio again until this year when I decided to give GMRS a shot because one station license could be shared by my household.
  • Ian likes this
PG00022798
WREB270

#23 Downs

Downs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationHunt County Texas
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYH678
  • Ham Callsign:KK6RBI

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

Lol on the amateur sude I have been through 5 UV-50x2 this year, thank God for Amazon's return policy, just trying to get one unit that worked. The worst one lasted less than 45 seconds. None of them output the stated power, the first thing I do is slap a meter on them to check. One did the stated power rating but frequency shifted in the first day, most hung out around 20watts on a 50 watt rated radio that's way outside a margin of error, and one actually output 9 watts then went to 0 (the one that died in about a minute of use). Also went through a couple of the UV-82HPs that are supposed to be 8watts. Those are actually relabeled UV-6R radios and have a max output of 6 watts.

BTech just doesn't expect most people dumping cash on these radios to check their equipment. They don't need to, get 700 people to leave a 5 star review on Amazon like... "Works Good" or some bogus claim on range and your set 500 more people will see that and drop the cash.

I actually bought one of their amps too, the first two were junk, 3rd was spot on.

Why so much, I wanted to give Baofeng a good college try, I figured maybe I had a dud and wanted to put that theory to the test, nope just false advertising and shoddy equipment. It didn't cost me a dime, just time and when I decide to go GMRS for the family instead of stacking HAM licenses I went right to the Midland radio and when I outfit the next vehicle it will be a Midland, icom, kenwood, or Motorola.

The saying you can't afford to go cheap is true, imagine dumping $200 on a Baofeng mobile radio for it to fail just outside the warranty window or even outside the 30 day return window. Btech is notorious for having poor customer service when it comes to repair/replacement of their equipment. I have read stories where people pay shipping shipping costs only to get another raido that junks out and having to pay shipping costs again.

You can get a 40watt Midland GMRS mobile for $230 and it will work and it will put out around 40 watts, the Baofeng GMRS is $200 and is almost guarantee never to put out anywhere near 50watts and probably will fail you sooner than later.

I'm not bashing Baofeng because I'm on a soap box running thousands in radio equipment, but because I am an owner and have mostly poor experience using them.

You must have the worst electronic luck imaginable. Ive got a pile of UV5Rs, BF888s, a few UV82HPs, a BFF8HP, Wouxoun KGUV8D and a UV50X2.

Ive had all of them on a meter. All put out advertised power levels. The UV50X2 actually does 70 watts on VHF in some parts of the band. This radio is a year and a half old now.

Ive got a 8ish year old UV5R that's my motorcycle mobile radio thats been mounted on my bars since new and its survived all that time exposed to vibrations, UV, rain, cold, heat. Being ejected a few times off pavement at 40mph, ect

Now i cant speak for how clean their signal is as i dont have the equipment to check that but for my uses theyve been quite satisfactory.

Issues ive had with them

The UV50X2 has a wonky channel knob.

1 of my 888s wont talk to chirp anymore

KGUV8D consumes batteries even when its switched off.

All this being said I switched a surplus Motorola PM400 (UHF) into my Jeep and am enjoying it quite a bit. Nice and simple. I know its rugged. Its pretty compact and the audio quality out and in is awesome. I lost being able to do a VFO mode and dual band of the UV50X2 but I rarely use VHF anymore so no huge deal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

A pile of "cheap Chinese radios", BF888s, UV5Rs, UV82s, KGUV8Ds, BFF8HP, UV50X2, and a few "good" radios, Yeasu FT310 (airband/nav), Yeasu FT90R (no longer in mobile service used as a base radio)

#24 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

This, a-men.

JMHO

#25 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:23 PM

Which proves the point, that those things are a hit or miss, b/c the QC is just not there. Again, I started with those and I have a dozen or so of these BF-888S at home set as intercom.

The point I am trying to make here is to be VERY AWARE of what you're getting, understand its limitations and make an educated purchase. 

G.

You must have the worst electronic luck imaginable. Ive got a pile of UV5Rs, BF888s, a few UV82HPs, a BFF8HP, Wouxoun KGUV8D and a UV50X2.

Ive had all of them on a meter. All put out advertised power levels. The UV50X2 actually does 70 watts on VHF in some parts of the band. This radio is a year and a half old now.

Ive got a 8ish year old UV5R that's my motorcycle mobile radio thats been mounted on my bars since new and its survived all that time exposed to vibrations, UV, rain, cold, heat. Being ejected a few times off pavement at 40mph, ect

Now i cant speak for how clean their signal is as i dont have the equipment to check that but for my uses theyve been quite satisfactory.

Issues ive had with them

All this being said I switched a surplus Motorola PM400 (UHF) into my Jeep and am enjoying it quite a bit. Nice and simple. I know its rugged. Its pretty compact and the audio quality out and in is awesome. I lost being able to do a VFO mode and dual band of the UV50X2 but I rarely use VHF anymore so no huge deal.

• Downs likes this

#26 WREB270

WREB270

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREB270

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

Issues ive had with them

Could be a bad lot number, batch of 60 or so get made with a sub part or other issue and is not caught, Amazon gets that entire lot and Bam that's what happens. There are plenty of reviews on these radios not out puting their ratings. ALSO I have seen one like yours where it is cranking out 70-80 watts. But that's doesn't say much for consistency.

I have UV-5Rs that run excellently. I still have both the 82HPs, they are in fact rebranded uv6r's it's right in the box from btech and only put out 6watts on high. And again look through reviews you will see this is not uncommon. One actually quit work without using an external mic.
  • Downs likes this
PG00022798
WREB270

#27 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

https://forums.mygmr...ype-95/?p=13112

I believe that using the UV-82C for GMRS would be legal, per the two-year-old FCC guidance linked here.  Then again, the left hand seems unsure of what the right hand is doing, and there's a distressing lack of new-production GMRS radios capable of operating to the limits of permitted emissions.  This'll be a good time to get the popcorn out... But I'm no longer afraid to transmit with my Radioddity GD-77s (which I've long used for scanning repeaters).

https://transition.f...iling-r1-TH.pdf

#28 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:30 PM

One visit from a FCC field officer and your $24 dollar radio may end up costing you $2400... 

Can't get blood from a stone.  America frequently tries, which is how you spend twenty years in jail moving from trial to trial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users