Here with another TK880 issue

WRAK968

Question

So it seems like every time I order another TK880 I have some form of issue lol.

So I purchased a TK880H which I guess was used by a fire marshals office. When I went to program it, I was prompted for a password which I do not have. I read around and someone said to hold "Shift" and type SYSTEM to bypass the password. No luck. So I figured ok, rewrite the firmware should clear the password, except the radio will not go into firmware update mode. :(

Last ditch effort, I tried to write too the radio, again, I was asked for a password. I've shot an e-mail to the seller but something tells me he wont know the password either, so I called the number on the sticker which is to a communications shop. Hopefully they can help (And hopefully the radio wasn't stolen)

Should this fail, does anyone else have any ideas?

18 answers to this question

In a related note, I have recently purchased a new, un-programmed TK885.  I have looked online, (briefly) and can't find legit software to program this.  I have the correct 8-pin Kenwood cable, as far as I know.

Yes, I know the 885 is the trunking version, but I got it for cheap.  The manual says it can be programmed and operated in conventional FM mode.

Anyone have any input on this?

In a related note, I have recently purchased a new, un-programmed TK885.  I have looked online, (briefly) and can't find legit software to program this.  I have the correct 8-pin Kenwood cable, as far as I know.

Yes, I know the 885 is the trunking version, but I got it for cheap.  The manual says it can be programmed and operated in conventional FM mode.

Anyone have any input on this?

I believe you need the KPG 62D, you can find it here;

https://hamfiles.co.uk/index.php?page=downloads&type=entry&id=radio-programming%2Fkenwood-programming%2Fkenwood-kpg-62d-rss

I did some fighting with it last night, I was able to write into the radio which then made the radio say *ERROR*, a little more tinkering and now it seems to be ok, aside from it only transmitting at 25 watts instead of 45.

Glad to hear it's working at least. Thinking about it some more, I'm not sure if it's possible to set the TK-880H to transmit at 25 watts. I'm wondering if you might want to try another meter.

And, just for other folks who come across this, this is what seems to have worked to clear the password:

1. Open KPG-49D.
  2. Hold down shift, type SYSTEM, release shift, and hit enter.
  3. Write a blank codeplug to the transceiver.
  4. Write a known good codeplug to the transceiver.

Edit: Also, the TK-880H is 40 watts, not 45 watts, according to the spec sheet.

Glad to hear it's working at least. Thinking about it some more, I'm not sure if it's possible to set the TK-880H to transmit at 25 watts. I'm wondering if you might want to try another meter.

And, just for other folks who come across this, this is what seems to have worked to clear the password:

1. Open KPG-49D.
  2. Hold down shift, type SYSTEM, release shift, and hit enter.
  3. Write a blank codeplug to the transceiver.
  4. Write a known good codeplug to the transceiver.

Edit: Also, the TK-880H is 40 watts, not 45 watts, according to the spec sheet.

Hey Congrats on your first post :P lol, and the system thing didnt work, I just forced a blank plug into the radio which gave it error, then pushed an 880 plug into the radio (As thats all I have)

As for the meter, I need to find someone with an accurate meter to check mine against.

I did some fighting with it last night, I was able to write into the radio which then made the radio say *ERROR*, a little more tinkering and now it seems to be ok, aside from it only transmitting at 25 watts instead of 45.

All three TK880H I have put 30W into the antenna. Specs say 40W, I see 30W, I tried two different power meters.

Some of these companies do some tricky advertising. Hopefully Kenwood isn't one of them. I am aware of a major brand who advertised their radio as 50 watts, but I only measured 42. When I called and asked about it, they said the 50 watts was on a FSM with one of their "high-gain" antennas.

For most companies, it's based on a perfect line and a perfect dummy load. Real world is a different story.

It may well be that a previous owner (or a radio shop) has turned down the PA's output to put less strain on the PA, thus extending the service life of the radio without compromising the power too much.

Eight fewer watts of output power to the antenna system isn't going to make much difference in the performance anyway.

As for measurements, if it ain't a Bird wattmeter, I don't trust it! ;)