License sharing with family

So I understand who I can share license with, but I am unsure of when and under what conditions. I love in Texas. I guess my question is can I buy radios for my sister and her boys who live in NY and allow them to use my call sign? Can I buy a set for my brother and his son who live in my city but will use them for scouts? Both situations I would not be present.

So I understand who I can share license with, but I am unsure of when and under what conditions. I love in Texas. I guess my question is can I buy radios for my sister and her boys who live in NY and allow them to use my call sign? Can I buy a set for my brother and his son who live in my city but will use them for scouts? Both situations I would not be present.

Technically? Yes! As the licensee, though, you'd probably be on the hook for any FCC violations (at least for the kids) but it's not so clear about the adults. As long as everyone is willing to follow the FCC rules when operating under your callsign, yes you can do that even though you won't be present. 

Technically? Yes! As the licensee, though, you'd probably be on the hook for any FCC violations (at least for the kids) but it's not so clear about the adults. As long as everyone is willing to follow the FCC rules when operating under your callsign, yes you can do that even though you won't be present. 

As far as rules go, the license holder is responsible for how the radios are used. Lets say the family in NY program a part 90 radio to receive the local FD, however due to an error they transmit on the FD channel and give your callsign, you could be on the hook. Now this is a bit exaggerated but has happened from time to time. Another example is the family in NY using a radio that is not certified by the FCC and causes interference on another channel. Or, because they are in NY, using channels 19 and 21 north of line A (I think those were the channels) which is also an easy violation for someone to make if they haven't read or understood the rules.

How I manage everything is, I program the radios under my callsign myself. By doing that I can assume all responsibility should something go wrong. My family knows and understands the rules of GMRS, and everyone has a 3 digit ID code, (First digit identifies the location and last 2 are unit numbers) So if a complaint comes in about WRAK968-103, I know its my brother, 202 is my step mother and so on. Some people use one digit ID, (WRAK968-1). The three digit system may work for you so that should there be a problem you will know where the problem is, and possibly who the problem was caused by.

As far as rules go, the license holder is responsible for how the radios are used. Lets say the family in NY program a part 90 radio to receive the local FD, however due to an error they transmit on the FD channel and give your callsign, you could be on the hook. Now this is a bit exaggerated but has happened from time to time. Another example is the family in NY using a radio that is not certified by the FCC and causes interference on another channel. Or, because they are in NY, using channels 19 and 21 north of line A (I think those were the channels) which is also an easy violation for someone to make if they haven't read or understood the rules.

How I manage everything is, I program the radios under my callsign myself. By doing that I can assume all responsibility should something go wrong. My family knows and understands the rules of GMRS, and everyone has a 3 digit ID code, (First digit identifies the location and last 2 are unit numbers) So if a complaint comes in about WRAK968-103, I know its my brother, 202 is my step mother and so on. Some people use one digit ID, (WRAK968-1). The three digit system may work for you so that should there be a problem you will know where the problem is, and possibly who the problem was caused by.

That's true, the licensee is the one responsible. But consider they choose not to ID at all, you as the licensee would probably not be the target of the FCC. Instead, they would be for transmitting without a license (or, if the family members knew they were covered by your license, could be given a violation for transmitting without station identification).

Long story short, just make sure they're capable of following the rules before you attach yourself to it. As long as you're confident they will take it as seriously as you do, it should not be a problem at all.

Thank you for all the information. If I did allow them to use my license I would get them old gmrs blister pack radios that are type accepted. Plus I would go over the rules for line A and callsign usage. By the way where is the requirement about callsign usage found? Additionally where are the Canada “lines”?

• 7 months later...

Thank you for all the information. If I did allow them to use my license I would get them old gmrs blister pack radios that are type accepted. Plus I would go over the rules for line A and callsign usage. By the way where is the requirement about callsign usage found? Additionally where are the Canada “lines”?

Blister pack radios - you mean FRS radios? Don't need a license for those. Need a license for anything with a detachable antenna, over 2w, wideband, repeaters, etc - but not for blister pack radios.