• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fremont

fremont

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:59 AM

Why are they labeled as such when repeater channel Tx are done at 467?  Is it really just a 450-470 antenna, but they brand it as "specific 462" to make sure it's seen strictly as a GMRS antenna?

#2 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:33 AM

An antenna specifically designed for GMRS would typically be tuned for the middle of the band. Maybe somewhere around 464 MHz. But, a lot depends on the design of the antenna and it’s bandwidth. If you were making your own antenna or tuning one on your own, you might choose to favor the repeater section of the band if you exclusively used repeaters. On the other hand, if you only use simplex you would probably favor 462 MHz.

I also wanted to note, though I have never used one, the Midland antennas have not gotten particularly good reviews on this forum. You might wish to look around and see what other antennas people have liked and then pick something that meets your radio and financial needs. But, keep in mind there is no particular advantage to using a Midland antenna with a Midland radio.
  • WPXM352 and fremont like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#3 fremont

fremont

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

You might wish to look around and see what other antennas people have liked and then pick something that meets your radio and financial needs. But, keep in mind there is no particular advantage to using a Midland antenna with a Midland radio.

Good advice; thanks. 

I do not currently own a SWR meter, so I was hoping to find something "pre-tuned."  Given that Midland bundles their 3db ghost antenna (I'm looking at either unity or 3db gain given my hilly terrain) with the MXT400 repeater capable unit, I'd expect they'd claim it's fine at those repeater frequencies.  The other ghost-type unit I was looking at was the Laird Phantom 3db model (#4503 in black).  It's rated at 450-470, with their tech sheet saying < 2.0:1 VSWR across the 20 mhz range.  (They also say < 1.5:1 across 10mhz, which I'm guessing is 455-465?)

#4 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:47 AM

Just order a UHF NMO 1/4 wave UHF on a magnetic mount. The ghost or phantom antennas only work well with repeaters and good repeaters. I use them on my county TLMR system but we have 15 sites  in one county. For GMRS I run a 1/4 wave.

• berkinet likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users