Why did you get into GMRS

GuySagi

My daughter and son-in-law are interested in some form of emergency communication, so I bought them an inexpensive HAM radio and the study book for the Technician license.  You can guess how that worked out.  It didn't.  Too much for them to digest.  Completely understandable.  They are in their middle working years and don't have the time or interest in pursuing a hobby as involved as HAM radio.  Still, they desire a emergency communication system they can use if the need arises.  GMRS seems to be the ideal choice for them.  

Reading these is awesome and educational, thank you one and all. It's interesting, and smart, how most of the radios see some sort of daily or weekly use, but also serve as emergency backup. Solid investment, rather than something put in a bag, and tossed in a closet just in case the unthinkable happens. Hope everyone has a glorious day, dang it, and if you're in the path of this storm, stay safe. My grandson and I will be on GMRS when it hits here. Since it's already been a busy tropical storm season, practice makes perfect. 

I got "back" into GMRS when the FCC changed the fee to something more reasonable and the extended the license term to 10 years. I was licensed before and let it expire, 5 year license term and around $100 was a bit much. Now if I ever need to keep in contact with a family member all I have to do is hand them a programed radio and some simple instructions.

I also have some friends who so far have not been licensed for Ham radio, due to COVID-19 no test sessions or too busy to study for the Ham test, but filling out a form and paying the $70 was a easy.  GMRS is the only way I can talk to them by radio currently.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a hunting rifle, shotgun, handgun and ammunition instead of buying "gold" I would never see in my hand. I have a fishing pole and tackle. I have a back yard to grow veggies in. Looking at the way the economy is going, we as a couple are starting to prepare for the SHTF.

A guy I was going to college with said he was buying "gold" in case the SHTF. I told him I would be taking the gold, if he actually had any, as he just won't be able to eat it.

SO... Communications are important if one is not alone. If the SHTF, I figured a $1,000+ cellular phone may become a brick. Looked into it and discovered the GMRS.I also plan to get a CB rig. I am studying for my HAM Tech license.

If the SHTF or the "big one" shakes the northwest, I hope to be of service to others in need. We live with Mt St Helens outside our back door, Mt Adams to the east, and Mt Hood to the southeast...

Crap happens...

Last year we Had a major fiber optic failure in our area. I had a GMRS license years ago but let it go in the midst of life and a divorce. So after the Fiber optic failure which took out all of my immediate families cell phones and internet and also my home phone it was time to have a backup. I will tell you I never knew how intertwined Verizon and Comcast are but they rent and share common Fiber optic spectrum. So earlier this June I started to get back on board I am Glad I did I have made a few contacts through facebook and do have some repeater access. But right now with a base unit in my home and a couple of walkie talkies and a mobile unit I will continue to add to my system and try to get some other family members on board.

My family all used to be into Citizen Band radios for mobile communication when on the road - mobile to mobile and mobile to base units. Then the 'nutjobs' all got into CB's and turned that world into a ' toilet bowl ' with profanity, unprofessional users, and just plain rudeness. So my family got out of it because of that and availability of cell phones for communication. At the same time, I moved to Florida after college because of work, so I was not able to be involved in our local family communication decisions. 

After I retired though I moved back to NW Ohio to be around family ( yeah, go figure - I moved North when all other retirees move South. Long story. )

I have lived through Tropical Storms and Hurricanes while living in Florida for 30 years and I know that one of the first things to go out is power and cell phones, The house is equipped with a Generac generator powered by a large propane tank to provide power so that is covered. Now I'm trying to get my family into the GMRS community in case of emergencies. We have a couple repeaters in the area that are free to use by all and should meet our requirements if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeep Jamboree USA (jeepjamboreeusa.com) will drop the CB communication systems for the FRS/GMSR starting next season.  Folks will need to acquire these units in order to talk with others on the trail and to communicate with the officials at certain times.

I am trying to get a good grip on the full use of these radios before next year.  Midland is the pushing manufacture of course.

Edited to clean up my poor english/typing skills