2 Meter PL Tone?

taco6513

I requested that the PL tone be 151.4. This is what I listed on my application.

This is part of the response I received from the ORSI.

" We need to discuss PL tone. My first recommendation is either 114.8 or 141.3. "

Why would I need to change to a common tone?

That is not what I want to do.

Thanks

KI5GXD

WRCW870

Just reaffirming what was mentioned above by Mr. Scott...  they didn't say no.  They want to have a discussion.  I would think you may be able to get what you are looking for.

As to why they would recommend a different tone... to prevent interference, of course.  We have two repeater systems here that share 2m pairs with other networks about 100 miles away.  Both have flipped in/out compared to the systems near me.  Often, during the warmer months I can hear mobile operators on the fringe of those repeaters, on the output frequencies of my local systems.

I mention this because, you may have a repeater system nearby that is using the same pairs and PL tone you would like to use.  Even if it seems improbable to have interference, that risk may still exist.  That is why we use the coordinators.  They are (typically) in the know.

WTF? I received my construction permit from ORSI. The application listed a max EIRP of 125 watts. However I listed the repeater at 50 watts. 

I am getting a EIRP of 160 watts with the antenna choice #1 and a EIRP of 347 watts with antenna choice #2.

The application said I didn't want the repeater listed with the ARRL. ORSI shows it listed. I stated the site has backup power. The permit lists 

no backup power. Also the tone is listed as 114.8. This will conflict with another repeater on same channel in TX.

May trash the entire idea if this doesn't work out. Didn't think this was going to be brain surgery.

KI5GXD

• 3 weeks later...

Just reaffirming what was mentioned above by Mr. Scott...  they didn't say no.  They want to have a discussion.  I would think you may be able to get what you are looking for.

As to why they would recommend a different tone... to prevent interference, of course.  We have two repeater systems here that share 2m pairs with other networks about 100 miles away.  Both have flipped in/out compared to the systems near me.  Often, during the warmer months I can hear mobile operators on the fringe of those repeaters, on the output frequencies of my local systems.

I mention this because, you may have a repeater system nearby that is using the same pairs and PL tone you would like to use.  Even if it seems improbable to have interference, that risk may still exist.  That is why we use the coordinators.  They are (typically) in the know.

Even worse in spring and fall. When you get tropo, you can get inter mod with repeaters a couple hundred miles away.

There is a reason why they want to have a discussion. Might as well, they haven't said no at least.

We had ducting in MD last week ahead of the weather front and got full signals from upstate NY and central MA.  A guy in MA looked up our local repeater PL and joined our morning net; sounded better than some of the locals.

Yup, tons of out of state checking into W3VPR's Holly net. Though I heard an Ohio call sign as well.