power supply to use and set up my 50X1 with chirp

cbrown038

Question

14 answers to this question

In the early days i made a power supply for my Midland MXT400, Using a computer power supply it did the job but i notice the voltage was dropping (from 12v to 11.50v around there) when i transmit at 40w. I didn't notice any performance issues just in my head..lol

Run your unit at low power then program it...This is the cheapest way building a power supply from old computers etc, note in the picture i used a couple of chokes.

P.S. I bought a real power supply after that... :)post-3628-0-93938400-1611170293_thumb.jpgpost-3628-0-09797300-1611170299_thumb.jpg

As long as you do not transmit, just about anything at 12 to 13.8 volts dc will work. Maybe even 8 C cells in series.

This. The power draw simply sitting idle receiving (or programming) is pretty much negligible; it fluctuates betwen 0.1 and 0.0A on my alinco psu's digital readout.

edit:  was doing some other testing tonight (whether switching power supply is inducing noise on gmrs); for my alternate power, i dug up a couple 6v lantern batteries, and wired them in series, and my 50x1 powered up just fine, showed 13.3v (it seems to read voltage a little high, it usually shows 14.2v when the psu is set to its 'set 13.8v' mode, and a multimeter on the batteries in series showed around 12.15v)

also corrected amp reading above...it fluctuates between 0.0 and 0.1A.

Would this TekPower be a good one for a BTech 50X1 for both transmit and receive...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ2PGYO?tag=purdylounge-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Thanks

my 2 cents....the specs look good, and leave headroom to power other equipment at the same time.  the reviews do give me a little pause, but amazon's return policy is good at least. 

i believe others on the forum have used some other Tekpower stuff with good results (this one or the version with digital meters).

I use a a TekPower TP30SWII with a 40 watt mobile. It does a great job. I've never had any problems with the power supply. It is on close to 24/7.

What do I need to connect the 50X1 to the power supply? There is a cord supplied that has bare wires after the inline fuzes. Do I just wrap those around the power supply posts or is there a better way? Thx

What do I need to connect the 50X1 to the power supply? There is a cord supplied that has bare wires after the inline fuzes. Do I just wrap those around the power supply posts or is there a better way? Thx

If it has speaker type clamps, or screw down binding posts, the bare wires on the post are fine. I chose to add banana plugs to mine, for easier swap, though.

i use a jackery 240 to run my kg1000g, however i used a 4cell lipo for my rc car to program my radio till the wife brought back the home the jackery.  (disclamer) a 4 cell lipo is 14..8 volts and very evil if your not carefull if u dont have a good connector type on the battery id avoid this, i use a combo of ec5 and deans plugs depending on what car its for...