books or guides to read

4runnahlife

Hi Ya'll,

I am new to the gmrs world of coms and I wanted to know if you had any recommendations on books or guides for new users. I have the midland mxt 275 installed in my 4runner for camp/trails. For the most part from reading the manual I think I have the understanding of adding in repeaters etc; but I'd like to find a more detailed guide or book to assist. So on the east coast gmrs is starting to become more popular. I wanted to know if there is anyone in the Hudson Valley or Adirondack region with repeaters that I can connect to. I'm interested in learning on that. I also have a set of frs walkie talkies from midland but those are for camp to give to our friends when we are in no service areas.

So to get to the point from my little story there

1. Any book / guide recommendations for new gmrs operators ?

2. Anyone in the Hudson Valley/ Adirondack region with a repeater or know which repeaters we can use ?

Thank you and happy trailing

post-4225-0-84269300-1611934061_thumb.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, family and group, just reading and follow posts daily.  This site is better than a book as you will see two or three sides to issue.  I'm a newbie since Nov and it is like drinking from a fire hose...  These guys are great mentors, coaches and friends...  Feel safe to ask questions as it has been asked before and I think some of the guys (inter circle) take turn answering them.  This is the only way a new bunch of newbies come on will see the same question asked from last month etc.

Jack

There is very little science or craft in using GMRS as a tool. Just press a button and yada yada yada till batteries are empty. 5yo can do that. GMRS designed this way, as a service.

There is a lot of science and craft into radio, in general. One of possible good first steps (only if you're interested!) is ARRL study material for Technician license. Most of regulatory stuff does not apply, all technical stuff directly applicable to GMRS.

And unlike ham bands, under FCC regs, you are not allowed to build your own GMRS radio, nor alter existing radios to transmit on GMRS, nor modify GMRS radio transmitters. 

Outside of antenna and coax on mobile/base units, its pure plug and play.

The info in the ARRL FCC Tech license book regarding UHF does apply to GMRS, the VHF and band info, not so much.