Linux Users Programming Kenwood 880s

Woodsman

Question

Any Linux users have luck with programming Kenwoods? Chirps works great for me on other radios, but every time I try to program my 880-1 on KPG-49D it gives me a com port error. I have the software running through WINE, which is using DOS BOX, which it runs perfectly without issues. I am also using a USB programming cable (don't have serial ports on the laptop).

I do have a windows 7 machine laying around, I just want to see if I can actually get it running on linux (and help someone else out who may not have windows)

14 answers to this question

I tried years ago KPG-49D in Wine and failed. I do not remember the exact reason. The first thing to check, especially with USB devices, to identify the /dev/ttyUSB_ that is your cable, and check if  the user account has read/write permissions to it. Maybe you will be luckier than me.

Btw, Wine is not DOSBox, but I understand what you are saying. Or maybe I don't. KPG-49D is a Windows application, will not run in DOSBox without Windows installed.

I've used WINE on Linux several times with various software, mostly CAD related. The results have been mostly works to complete failure.

Personally I've been watching this project over the years. It's an open source clone of Windows. When it gets to the beta testing phase then things get interesting.

https://reactos.org/

berkinet's suggestion is good, trying VirtualBox. I have two VM'm running on a Win 7 Pro machine with 16GB or RAM. One is OpenSuse Leap and a Win XP Pro one. Both work well and show up on the network as if they were real computers with their own IP addresses etc. I can access them locally or from another computer using Windows Remote Terminal app.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Also you should have the ability to install the native virtual machine subsystem included with just about every major Linux distro out there. Then install a copy of Windows. You can get a functioning version here.

https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-nt-2000/final

Windows 2000 should have no issues running the radio programming software.

I am not programming Kenwoods, but I use Chirp in native Ubuntu. I had a similar error and it was a 2-step fix.

1. Instead of using a TTY com port, I scrolled down to the bottom and selected USB0.

2. I had to add my userid to the dialout group.

sudo usermod -aG dialout username (replace username with your own)

I try to stay away from Windows, even Wine, as much as possible.

I am not programming Kenwoods, but I use Chirp in native Ubuntu. I had a similar error and it was a 2-step fix.

1. Instead of using a TTY com port, I scrolled down to the bottom and selected USB0.

2. I had to add my userid to the dialout group.

sudo usermod -aG dialout username (replace username with your own)

I try to stay away from Windows, even Wine, as much as possible.

Solid advice. However, in the specific case of KPG-49D (which is only for Windows) it covers all features of TK-880, like OST, off-hook monitor, button programming, front-panel enabling, firmware uploading... etc, that aren't covered by Chirp.

Thanks for the tips guys! I know I can take the easy way and just use VMware or my Win7 machine, but I like learning on linux. I'll try to sit down here in a few days and tinker with it again. I'm kinda betting I need to figure out the USB connection and somehow show it as a com port on the WINE end. I wonder if instead of running WINE on top of DOSBOX, if I just use DOSBOX by itself?

(shrugs) gives me something to play with until I order antenna mounts :)

Thanks for the tips guys! I know I can take the easy way and just use VMware or my Win7 machine, but I like learning on linux. I'll try to sit down here in a few days and tinker with it again. I'm kinda betting I need to figure out the USB connection and somehow show it as a com port on the WINE end. I wonder if instead of running WINE on top of DOSBOX, if I just use DOSBOX by itself?

So...all the port stuff aside and back to a basic question (and I may have missed the reason somewhere..), but why use the Windows version of Chirp via Wine (and introduce the extra layers of complexity), rather than running the Linux version of Chirp directly?

I'm not working with Kenwoods, but rather the (dreaded/ubiquitous) uv5r, but other than a little trial and error at the start to get the right port, it's been pretty much smooth sailing.  it also had no issue with my gmrs 50x1.  I'm running Mint Mate (had 17.something, then moved up to 19.something) on an old gateway 1ghz atom netbook; also runs/worksjust fine on an atom powered Intel Compute Stick (for windows).

Let's clarify some things. Wine does not run on top of DOSBox. Are we talking about this DOSBox: www.dosbox.com? Wine has nothing to do with it. Wine provides you (tries hard and mostly fails, but A+ for the effort) Win32 API and environment (registry, user32.dll and the the whole kitchen sink) to fool Windows applications into thinking they are running under Windows. They are still x86 (or x64) applications that need Intel (or compatible) CPU. DOSBox is an emulator of DOS on x86 PC, that can run on different hardware, like ARM, or PowerPC Mac or whatever. They are similar as much as elephant and elephant slug are similar. So, sure, you can run DOSBox, but you will need DOS application. Windows application will not work in DOSBox. Of course, people here will quickly point to Windows 95 (remember that?) running under DOSBox on the ARM-based phone, but KPG-49D is not going to run on Windows 95.

Wine and serial ports: https://wiki.winehq.org/index.php?title=Wine_User%27s_Guide&oldid=2519#Serial_and_Parallel_Ports

To have permissions is a key. The user account must have read/write permissions to /dev/ttyUSB#. On some systems you can add your account to dialout group, as was pointed in this thread.

So, the plan of attack should be like this:

1. Find out the name of your USB-to-serial adapter. It's very likely going to be /dev/ttyUSB0. You can check dmesg or you can watch what /dev/ttyXXX appears anew when you plug in the cable.

2. Find out what group your account needs to belong to have read/write permissions to said /dev/ttyUSB0. Add account to that group. Good chance it's going to be dialout group.

3. Identify what COM port number Wine uses to access this /dev/ttyUSB0. See the link to documentation above.

4. Run KPG-49D, set up the port, rate. See if you have communication with radio.

5. Most important! Post results here.

Solid advice. However, in the specific case of KPG-49D (which is only for Windows) it covers all features of TK-880, like OST, off-hook monitor, button programming, front-panel enabling, firmware uploading... etc, that aren't covered by Chirp.

That's why I recommend people use the official manufacture's software, at least for the commercial radios, since Chirp doesn't cover many of the features the radios offer. For other radios it's just plain buggy. I tried it with a Kenwood TK-270G and TK-370G radios. No good. Channels wouldn't program or disappear when trying to use the zone feature. The import function didn't work etc.  As far as I know it's still broken.

Ok, I attempted to go Wine route with KPG-101D (I know, it's not the -49D, but they are from the same manufacturer and from the same time frame), spent some time with the dlls, copying from windows partition and other dances with the tambourine. Life is too short for shit like this. Just get Windows PC (secondhand for $100) or go VirtualBox or VMWare direction.

apt-get --purge remove wine

apt-get --purge autoremove

I need a drink