BTECH GMRS-50X1

Marc

Question

Is there any possible way to Mod this radio or is programed by its firmware? I was planning on opening it up to check out the circuit boards for any pins ect.

Also if that's not possible what would be my best option for a Ham radio that is modifiable to work on the GMRS frequencies? Yes, I know it's illegal and I'm not really concerned about that.

Thanks,

Marc

17 answers to this question

I'm looking to Mod the BTECH so it gives me 50 Watts on all Channels.

1. I doubt you would be able to make that modification as it is controlled in the firmware.

BUT

2. DO NOT DO THAT.  There is a reason some of the channels are restricted to low power. There have a narrow channel spacing and use of high power would bleed into adjacent channels. Also, those channels are designed for nearby communications with the ability for channel re-use in adjacent locations. Running 50 watts would stomp all over everyone else on the channel.

As for modifying a ham radio to run on GMRS. That is possible, many people do it, but operating a non-GMRS certified radio on GMRS is against the FCC regulations.  But, if that is what you wanted, perhaps you should have purchased the UV-50X2.

Should you decide to do buy a ham radio and use it on GMRS, please continue to respect the power, bandwidth and channel spacing specifications for GMRS.

There is a password prompt that comes up if you hold the menu key at startup....haven't had any luck googling, and when I contacted support I got a zero pleasantries, "that is for service use only", response.

No idea what's behind that prompt, but I'm curious. And digging around via chirp didn't turn up any clues.

I second berkinet's points. The fastest way to get the attention of the local FCC is running high power on the 0.5 watt FRS frequencies. When they can hear you 10 miles away with full quieting they'll know something isn't right. You'll know when you've been found out when the knock on the front door occurs with the black SUV parked out front.

LMAO... you can have full quieting on 1/2 watt, if you place the little bubblepack radio strapped to a drone, 400 feet up in the air... so... something to remember!!

G.

I second berkinet's points. The fastest way to get the attention of the local FCC is running high power on the 0.5 watt FRS frequencies. When they can hear you 10 miles away with full quieting they'll know something isn't right. You'll know when you've been found out when the knock on the front door occurs with the black SUV parked out front.

There is a password prompt that comes up if you hold the menu key at startup....haven't had any luck googling, and when I contacted support I got a zero pleasantries, "that is for service use only", response.

No idea what's behind that prompt, but I'm curious. And digging around via chirp didn't turn up any clues.

What number did you call? if they wont let have it and i cant get into it. Back to Amazon it goes with a crap review and zero stars

I have not powered up the radio yet. Thanks on the password menu. I wonder if I can crack the password.

Some info I found on the net indicated at least part of what would be there is frequency alignment settings for the radio itself, so be careful messing with the settings if you manage to get in.

You would reed a really long mic cable for that. 8-))

On another note I have heard of Hams building a cross band repeater using a couple HT's and a small duplexer. Fly the drone up really high on field day for some DX contacts. Also ran a power cord up to the drone from the ground to give it more "air time". I think some cell phone companies do this on an emergency basis to restore service at times too.

What number did you call? if they wont let have it and i cant get into it. Back to Amazon it goes with a crap review and zero stars

So, if I get this right...

1. You purchased a radio without really looking into its capabilities, features and limitations. Even though those are well discussed in many sources, including Amazon and this forum.  
  2. Then, when the radio does not allow you to use it in a manner it was not designed for, you want to return it.
  3. And finally, you threaten to give the radio a bad review if the manufacturer will not support your attempt to modify their product in a way that would cause it to operate in a manner for which it was not intended and is not certified. (BTW, this is technically called extortion.)

7 hours ago, OBIE1028 said:

It's FCC rules not laws that's why the police can not and will not enforce them. Sad hams please stop with the bs and scare tactics

I know it's early in the am; and I am just drinking my first cup of coffee, but...

You respond to a post one year later; to an OP who has not even revisited this forum in over 12 months, and you hurl out insults to Hams?!?