RV Base for camp

Extreme

I know this has been discussed but I neglected to bookmark it and search didn't produce the thread.  

I have a pretty good visual of what I want to do for installing a 30w Kenwood TK-8180 in my 5th wheel.  

I don't need to get elaborate on antenna mount and think just a metal groundplane attached to the rubber roof with ground and a simple 1/4 wave antenna will work initially.  I'll rely on the height of the RV for range, but could eventually add a crank up marine mount to elevate it more.  Since we don't use our TV when camping (would have deleted TV when we bought it new but not an option) I've considered using the crank up TV antenna for some sort of mount.  At any rate..  the weather is just starting to improve so I've yet to crawl around on the roof.

I'm thinking of mounting the Kenwood in the radio/stereo slot since we don't use that either.  Lots of options on where to mount the Kenwood (basement compartment, etc.) Yup, we dry camp and the rare times we want any music or radio we get it from our devices and bluetooth or Sirius/XM App.  

Question is: can I plug the Kenwood external speaker port into my existing outside stereo speaker(s) that are under the awning?  Or will it be a mismatch?  If that's not feasible, is there a water/weather proof external speaker available?

We spend 90+% of our time outside and it'd be nice to have the Kenwood either scanning or on a set channel we use in the Jeep or S x S while someone is in camp.

If someone can link me back to the RV thread I'd appreciate that as well.

If your speakers were too high of an impedance you just wouldn't get much volume.

No harm would be done to the radio.

If the speakers Z was too low AND you really cranked it up loud maybe you could damage the radio from excessive current but pretty unlikely.

Most audio output chips are temperature protected anyhow.

You could just add 4 ohms in series which should satisfy the min Z requirement. 

Vince

Probably easier to just get the KES-5 and find a place to quick-mount it.  Only 3' of cable included but that's an easy fix. 

I'm assuming the external speaker will cause the built in speaker on the head unit to bypass and not have any output?

Couple ideas: use some form of adapter (3.5mm, bluetooth, etc) to send audio from the kenwood to the rv stereo, and let that power the outside speakers. This way no worries about the speaker impedance.

Alternately, if they're 4 ohm speakers (standard automotive), you could wire them in series to get an 8 ohm load to the radio, though only mono audio.

This post reminded me of the mental exercise I did some time back... Like you I spend most of my time outside.  I have outside speakers driven by the RV stereo.  So if I got a call I had to go inside to respond.  Then I said what about just mounting a radio in outside entertainment center.  That lead to "can have access if I'm driving" (I have a motorhome).    

So I settled on getting a HT like a KG-805G as good quality, water resistant, and can use it everywhere.

Food for thought, IMHO.

Jack 

P.S.  I purchased a $400 repeater for RV and Ed Fong antenna attached to ladder.    

The Kenwood KES-5 external speaker is 4 ohm so I guess the existing speaker(s) should work?  Mono is fine. 

I still might just get the Kenwood speaker and put it on an easily accessible magnetic mount under the compartment where I'm planning to mount the radio, so it's easy to remove, and outside where I can hear it.  After looking things over a bit I think that will be the simplest radio mount for access to 12v, a solid mount with no disassembly, the radio within reach of the antenna mount, and straightforward cable routing.

Assuming the factory antenna on the 5er is grounded I can simply add an 8"-ish square aluminum plate to the antenna 'blades' for a ground plane, run the cable straight down thru the roof and it will extend my 1/4 wave an additional 3' when cranked up.  Whether it will affect the function of the TV antenna remains to be seen, but we don't use it anyway.  I'd guess at least 15' height, not too shabby.

Also, I have several HT, including the 805G but really like the extra power of the mobile + added antenna height.  I have mobiles in both my off-road rigs, and HTs for the quads and/or kayak.

FWIW we spoke at 25mi. with 805G to Kenwood 880 mobile (simplex) last year where we camp. Mobile - mobile should be at least as good.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Original-KES-5-External-Speaker/dp/B00M2436RG

Thanks for the input, gets my brain working.

Couple ideas: use some form of adapter (3.5mm, bluetooth, etc) to send audio from the kenwood to the rv stereo, and let that power the outside speakers. This way no worries about the speaker impedance.

Alternately, if they're 4 ohm speakers (standard automotive), you could wire them in series to get an 8 ohm load to the radio, though only mono audio.

Depending on what the height of the camper is you may be better off with a small fiberglass antenna on the ladder. Thats what I run at camp (on my repeater) and it works really well. For the most part there is no metal in the camper roof. Even where the AM FM antenna is its just plywood with a ground wire on the cable. 

I run the Laird FG4500 and it works great. I have LMR400 run up the ladder and under the RV to the compartment with the repeater. When installed its actually a bit lower than my vent covers but i still remove depending on where I plan to drive.

Thanks for another option.

The TV antenna is aluminum and I assume grounded, so if I add an 8" or so square of  .09 aluminum sheet to that horizontal surface with the 1/4 wave antenna centered, it should provide an adequate ground plane.  Pretty much the same setup I have on my S x S  with roof/kayak rack over a plastic roof. grounded to the frame/rollbar an 8 x 8 x 1/4" aluminum plate - it works very well.  Coax route should be nearly straight down to where the radio will mount in my basement compartment.  

With a 6" 1/4 wave antenna it will be equal or lower than other components on the roof when retracted via the TV antenna.  I'll check that assumption very closely before I proceed.

Oh, and KES-8K is the Kenwood external speaker.  The KES-5 is for horn notification & PA, is 40w and requires more accessories.  The KES-8K supersedes the KES-3 and is 10w, plug and play.

Depending on what the height of the camper is you may be better off with a small fiberglass antenna on the ladder. Thats what I run at camp (on my repeater) and it works really well. For the most part there is no metal in the camper roof. Even where the AM FM antenna is its just plywood with a ground wire on the cable. 

I run the Laird FG4500 and it works great. I have LMR400 run up the ladder and under the RV to the compartment with the repeater. When installed its actually a bit lower than my vent covers but i still remove depending on where I plan to drive.