Small suggestions/requests

SkylinesSuck

Just a little input for the new site look:

- There is no way to click on a thread that you've already viewed to skip to the latest post.  I'm used to seeing a link to the last list by whoever I can click on instead of having to start at the beginning of the thread and navigating to the end.

- I get a notification pop-up at the bottom of my screen for new content, and click on it to view the content.  After I view it though, the notification bell is still visible until I click it and view the notification.  Would be nice if this disappeared when I looked at the thread the first time.  That or remove the notification pop-up.  

Just small nitpicks.  The site is great and I really appreciate the hard work keeping it running!!!  

28 minutes ago, SkylinesSuck said:

- There is no way to click on a thread that you've already viewed to skip to the latest post.  I'm used to seeing a link to the last list by whoever I can click on instead of having to start at the beginning of the thread and navigating to the end.

The only way to jump to the latest post is to click on the date below the user name on the right side of the topics list.

56 minutes ago, SkylinesSuck said:

- I get a notification pop-up at the bottom of my screen for new content, and click on it to view the content.  After I view it though, the notification bell is still visible until I click it and view the notification.  Would be nice if this disappeared when I looked at the thread the first time.  That or remove the notification pop-up.  

Just small nitpicks.  The site is great and I really appreciate the hard work keeping it running!!!  

For the first point, there's a setting in your preferences where you can choose to jump to the latest unread message in a thread. I enabled it for myself since long threads could be a problem, you just want to see what's new.

For the second point, unfortunately that's just an issue with the forum software we use. There's no control over that behavior that I have aside from modifying the core code, which isn't practical. Maybe there's an option for hiding that notification at the bottom so we only see them at the bell icon up top, that's something I'd be willing to check out.

I've just been using the Unread Content link at the top right corner of the page to view the new content that has been posted since my last visit. It has worked well for me, but it may not be to everyone's liking, since all the new posts in the main forum show up.

1 hour ago, WyoJoe said:

I've just been using the Unread Content link at the top right corner of the page to view the new content that has been posted since my last visit. It has worked well for me, but it may not be to everyone's liking, since all the new posts in the main forum show up.

i've been using this as well; i don't know if it's something that carried over or what, but i found if i hit that, then hit the number of replies below a thread, it takes me to the latest unread post (or seems to...maybe it's taking me to the last post, since i'm generally here often enough for there to only be another post or two? ? )

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

i've been using this as well; i don't know if it's something that carried over or what, but i found if i hit that, then hit the number of replies below a thread, it takes me to the latest unread post (or seems to...maybe it's taking me to the last post, since i'm generally here often enough for there to only be another post or two? ? )

I click on the blue icon (a dot or a star, depending on whether or not you've contributed to the thread) to the left of the name of the thread to go to the first unread post in the thread.

5 hours ago, SkylinesSuck said:

That only works with unread content.  If you want to go back to a thread you've already viewed to reply later or look something up is when you have to do the little dance.  Nothing huge.  Just didn't know if there was an easy setting to tick or something.

quirks of the different forum software i guess, and little variations between desktop and mobile versions.

If I want to go back to something on the computer (to write a reply with a real keyboard), i'll switch up the filters from "unread" to "everything" and change the timeframe of posts i want to see to 2 days (which, as frequently as I'm here pretty much always finds what i want).  One thing I just noticed is in the list of posts, the time of the last post in a thread is a link, which will take you to the last post in the thread.

I do miss the 'mark as read' link for individual posts, and the ability to expand a thread in the search view; sometimes if there was just one new post, i would read it there, then use the "mark as read" link for that thread instead of going into the thread.