Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro Questions (Normal or operator error?)

rjrieger

Question

Totally new to GMRS and radios here and have a few questions specific to my Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro (most have the format:  "has anyone else noticed this or am I just an idiot?")

1. I have disabled (at least I believe I have) the roger beep on the radio but it still seems to transmit the beep (checked using my BTECH GMRS-V1).  Anyone else noticed this?
  2. When scanning for CTCSS codes, I cannot figure out how to have the radio tell me the code it found and/or store (as per the directions of menu item 51).  Has anyone else had this issue or am I doing something wrong (I would put money on the latter)
  3. Sometimes when placing radio in the charger, neither the red or green led illuminates.  I have to re-seat it a few times/move around in the charger to start charging.  Anyone else experience this?
  4. When pressing the the *SCAN button quickly to enable reverse scanning, the display indicates "R" as it should but it also activates CTCSS (the LCD screen "QT" indicator turns on).   Normal or operator error?  (Also, when reverse scanning is enabled as indicated by the "R" on the LCD and I then press/hold the *SCAN button to initiate scanning, scanning does starts but the "R" disappears and the radio scans in the forward direction) 

14 answers to this question

On 5/31/2021 at 11:57 AM, rjrieger said:

Thank you WyoJoe.

Went and checked and have both Menu 09 and Menu 13 set to "OFF"  (Menu 13 was one of the first things I turned off to keep my wife from hitting me over the head with the box the radio came in).

Which brings up another question (issue?) I forgot to mention:

In Menu 09, when I select something other than "OFF", it is does not accept that entry (EOT, BOT, BOTH) when I go back to confirm later.  It always says "OFF" when checking the status.  It seems to be stuck in "OFF" even though it stills transmits the beep.

I tried resetting my radio's Roger beep to on (EOT) then back to off, and it worked as it should. That sounds like a glitch in your radio.

35 minutes ago, rjrieger said:

Totally new to GMRS and radios here and have a few questions specific to my Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro (most have the format:  "has anyone else noticed this or am I just an idiot?")

1. I have disabled (at least I believe I have) the roger beep on the radio but it still seems to transmit the beep (checked using my BTECH GMRS-V1).  Anyone else noticed this?

For the Roger beep, make sure you're turning off the "Roger" function and not the "Beep" function. The radio has both, so make sure you select the right one. Roger is Menu 09, Beep is Menu 13.

20 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

For the Roger beep, make sure you're turning off the "Roger" function and not the "Beep" function. The radio has both, so make sure you select the right one. Roger is Menu 09, Beep is Menu 13.

Thank you WyoJoe.

Went and checked and have both Menu 09 and Menu 13 set to "OFF"  (Menu 13 was one of the first things I turned off to keep my wife from hitting me over the head with the box the radio came in).

In Menu 09, when I select something other than "OFF", it is does not accept that entry (EOT, BOT, BOTH) when I go back to confirm later.  It always says "OFF" when checking the status.  It seems to be stuck in "OFF" even though it stills transmits the beep.

8 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

I tried resetting my radio's Roger beep to on (EOT) then back to off, and it worked as it should. That sounds like a glitch in your radio.

Thank you for checking.

At some point I will contact Mark @BSR and see what he thinks (going to try and video the screen/keypad while I change settings and send to him to ensure I’m not doing something stupid) .  Not a huge deal. 

I just got my Pro version today and the first thing I noticed is I cannot change the roger beep. I need it to trigger my store and forward repeater. I can set it but it doesn't stick.

Where does it say that the Pro version doesn't have a Roger Beep? It has the menu for it.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:57 AM, rjrieger said:

Thank you WyoJoe.

Unfortunately the UV9G has Roger beep permanently disabled. Makes no sense. Really disappointed, as I use it to trigger my store-and-forward repeater.

II just got my PRO and it has a menu option to turn the beep on or off.  But I watched a few videos and one of the videos stated that difference between the pro and lite was that the lite came with Roger 'beep turned on and the pro came with it turned off. the  Other than the box; how do we really know? They both  look exactly alike.  But I'm new to all of this; so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, bwill said:

II just got my PRO and it has a menu option to turn the beep on or off.  But I watched a few videos and one of the videos stated that difference between the pro and lite was that the lite came with Roger 'beep turned on and the pro came with it turned off. the  Other than the box; how do we really know? They both  look exactly alike.  But I'm new to all of this; so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

It is to tell the difference between the pro and lite, besides the roger beep,the lite will only transmit at med power on the lower channels 1-7

On 5/31/2021 at 10:51 AM, rjrieger said:

2. When scanning for CTCSS codes, I cannot figure out how to have the radio tell me the code it found and/or store (as per the directions of menu item 51).  Has anyone else had this issue or am I doing something wrong (I would put money on the latter)
  3. Sometimes when placing radio in the charger, neither the red or green led illuminates.  I have to re-seat it a few times/move around in the charger to start charging.  Anyone else experience this?
  4. When pressing the the *SCAN button quickly to enable reverse scanning, the display indicates "R" as it should but it also activates CTCSS (the LCD screen "QT" indicator turns on).   Normal or operator error?  (Also, when reverse scanning is enabled as indicated by the "R" on the LCD and I then press/hold the *SCAN button to initiate scanning, scanning does starts but the "R" disappears and the radio scans in the forward direction) 

I got mine from BSR this week:

1. Roger Beep cannot be activated even though it shows up on the menu and on the software.  BTW, some of the repeater admins ask that it be turned off when using their repeaters.  Was told that it is annoying especially those on ear phone.

2. you have to be careful when putting the unit in the charger, it can go in with the contacts not fully seated. The radio has to catch the side guide slots. When inserting the radio and it  is on, I find it sometimes pressing the RPT button which outs the radio in TKA. I have not fully experimented on TKA if it removes proper connectivity to repeaters.

3. I press the up or down button or turn the know to change scan direction. That is how I change directions.