Motorola Repeater Interface HLN3333B working with Radius M1225 HELP!!!

WRKV917

Question

Hi Guys,

New to GMRS and had a BLAST chatting with a great group of guys in the Traverse City, MI area. First exposure to using a repeater and have been inspired to put one up in Michigan's State Capital City... Its going to be two Motorola Radius M1225 radios and my antenna will be about 45 feet off the ground to start. (Possibly 80 feet in the near future)

I'm having trouble finding a good source of how to set up the dip switches to get these radios to talk to each other and play nice... I've exhausted YouTube and many, many blogs... Does anyone have first hand knowledge of how to set the controller up or point me in a direction that will help? Please and thank you in advance for your willingness to help and your effort as well... 

Rob,

in Michigan 

6 answers to this question

As others said...batlabs...

http://www.batlabs.com/rick.html

The RICK is very basic. Make sure your M1225 is set for Pin 8 COR (PL/CSQ Detect). Set dip switch in RICK. It a pretty simple devise. Used hundreds over the years with x-band repeaters, in band and everything in between. First came out for the Maxtrax but can be used on everything including current radios with proper cables.

WOW!!! Thank you so, so much!!! You guys absolutely ROCK!!! That is the information I've been looking high and low to find!!! This controller interface seemed super simple but I was just missing a couple key things to have a handel on my set up... The worksheet in the manual I downloaded is truly the pot of gold for sure!!! My radios arrive tomorrow and everything else is purchased and in place... Hopefully I'm ready for some "plug and play" action!!! (Wishful thinking maybe... lol) ?

18 hours ago, WRKV917 said:

WOW!!! Thank you so, so much!!! You guys absolutely ROCK!!! That is the information I've been looking high and low to find!!! This controller interface seemed super simple but I was just missing a couple key things to have a handel on my set up... The worksheet in the manual I downloaded is truly the pot of gold for sure!!! My radios arrive tomorrow and everything else is purchased and in place... Hopefully I'm ready for some "plug and play" action!!! (Wishful thinking maybe... lol) ?

Being new, I'll let ya know that this is how I started out as well, and... it didn't quiet end well. Motorola mobile radios are meant for a 20% duty cycle, another words, they shouldn't transmit for more than 2 minutes out of every 10 or damage will occur. When you do your set-up, I would put the TX radio on low power to protect the radio from burning up, even if you've added a fan, as it doesn't take too many long winded conversations through the repeater to cause irreversible damage. Likewise I would program in a 90 second time-out timer (TOT) on the repeater itself. I learned this the hard way as I fried a 1225 40W mobile by running longer than normal transmissions on high power, and by using an improperly tuned duplexer (Another thing, save yourself the headache and buy a BP/BR duplexer for the UHF band. They usually go for $300-500 used on ebay and in my experience work a lot better than the cheaper flat packs.)

If you have any more questions feel free to call on us, theres a great set of guys here with quite the database of information :)