HTs and Airport Security

Citizen

Question before I find out the hard way:

I sometimes carry a GMRS HT exposed on my hip (with a belt clip, or sometimes in a durable/closeable holster made for that HT).  If I go to the airport and go through security screening, is my HT worn on my belt going to be confiscated, as if it’s some sort of weapon or contraband?

If the HT is confiscated at security, is there a way to get it back later after return?

Or, if I refuse confiscation and therefore cannot get on the airplane, and/or cannot get back to my parked car to store it there (or if my drop-off ride has left already) so to pass security, what would you do?

I recently took my mobile rig through in my backpack w/o issue. I got nailed on the "random" full check and would up with an agent that was considering getting her ham license, so we had a lovely chat. She couldn't believe I had a 2M/70cm rig in my backpack as she had only seen the old, huge HF stuff.

JG

5 hours ago, Citizen said:

Question before I find out the hard way:

I sometimes carry a GMRS HT exposed on my hip (with a belt clip, or sometimes in a durable/closeable holster made for that HT).  If I go to the airport and go through security screening, is my HT worn on my belt going to be confiscated, as if it’s some sort of weapon or contraband?

If the HT is confiscated at security, is there a way to get it back later after return?

Or, if I refuse confiscation and therefore cannot get on the airplane, and/or cannot get back to my parked car to store it there (or if my drop-off ride has left already) so to pass security, what would you do?

I traveled a lot through airports some years back, mid 2000's, and never had an issue with the radios. Now battery packs are another thing. I had a fanny pack with a 5Ah gell cell in it, for extended portable operation. That got a "lot of interest" because it showed up as completely black on the x-ray machine with wires coming off it to a round cylinder, 12 volt accessory socket, to use a battery charger eliminator.  The TSA inspector almost had a heart attack when the accessory socket popped out like a Jack-In-A-Box, due to the coiled up wire cord, when he unzipped the fanny pack flap and slowly pulled it open.  He forgot to let go of the fanny pack when it tried to throw it, otherwise it would have gone about 10 feet across the screening area. Oh well. Everybody saw what happened. And no I didn't get into any trouble and was allowed to proceed to the gate area.

I took my Ham 2M radio on a plane once and even got permission to use it in the air.  But that was before 9/11.  Not sure I'd try it today.  I'd just put a pair of cheap FRS radios in the checked luggage.  I wonder if they would ask you to demonstrate that the radio works.   They were doing this at one time but I'm pretty sure they don't anymore.

It's pretty fun to take an FM broadcast radio up in a plane.  You get stations from ALL over.  Every click has a station. 

Vince

Something to keep in mind...

A majority of passengers take radios on board with them. They're commonly referred to as "cell phones" or "smart phones." Although the format of your HT is different, it functions in essentially the same way. The TSA may disagree, but I don't see any reason why your HT should be treated any differently that a phone.

As for putting radios in checked baggage, you have to be careful if they have lithium batteries. I believe they are prohibited in checked baggage and must be carried on the plane with you.

Sounds like you're good to go, but if you're really worried you might consider arriving just a few minutes earlier than usual for your flight. Sometimes my work requires I travel with firearms, and it's no problem in checked luggage when packed according to TSA and airline rules (Yes, some LE get to carry on the plane, but I'm not an officer). But an occasional agent who doesn't know the precise rules when you check in and declare the unloaded firearm in the bag will stall things a couple minutes. Just inexperience on their end and other staff or a manager clear up the confusion fast. I also carry a minimum of three radio transceivers for my camera and flashes. They are old-school units most people would be hard pressed to think were for photography, with rubber ducky antennas sticking out. Never, ever have they been hand inspected or even taken out of my carry on (and it wasn't long ago they were going on a minimum of four flights a month). Considering the amount of criticism TSA and airlines staff gets, to their face, I think most of them do a great job...so I'm with one of the posts above. Toss it in your carry-on, let them run it through the scanner and I'm really sure you're good. In fact I flew with those transceivers two weeks ago and no TSA eyebrows were raised at all. Spare lithium batteries in carry-on is a different subject, though. Travel safe and let us know how it turns out. I think you're going to be pleased. 

6 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Something to keep in mind...

As for putting radios in checked baggage, you have to be careful if they have lithium batteries. I believe they are prohibited in checked baggage and must be carried on the plane with you.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing-batteries-your-trip