VERTEX/STANDARD VX-2200

wrjc901

Question

24 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, MacJack said:

Can you use the software with cable to change it...?

maybe if had the cable setup, but not sure I want to spend $$$ and not be able to fix it.
I only need 462.675 simplex, and same for my Repeater.  Thought about it, but would have to be set 
for the Repeater or Simplex. 
Wonder what the odds are it lost its programming, so only got the one channel programmed.... Just thought of that... 

I think it's probable it's either the key lock enabled (try pressing and holding the front panel keys one at a time and see if that resolves it) or someone goofed the programming and disabled the front panel keys (I want to say it's just a drop down in one of the screens)

If it comes to programming, Bluemax49ers cables have worked well for my vertex stuff, though he didn't have one available for my vx4200; you can get the software from him as well (All the vertex stuff I've seen was free).the cables are also pretty reasonably priced as well.

56 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

I think it's probable it's either the key lock enabled (try pressing and holding the front panel keys one at a time and see if that resolves it) or someone goofed the programming and disabled the front panel keys (I want to say it's just a drop down in one of the screens)

If it comes to programming, Bluemax49ers cables have worked well for my vertex stuff, though he didn't have one available for my vx4200; you can get the software from him as well (All the vertex stuff I've seen was free).the cables are also pretty reasonably priced as well.

Okay gave it a try. 
Holding P1 does make it say Lock, 
P2, P3 no descernable function turning on. 
P4 makes every LED segment come on on the screen, then freezes, have to remove power to reset it.
So back to wondering if somehow it had all its memory wiped... 
May look at getting a cable and try reprogramming it, 

2 hours ago, wrjc901 said:

Okay gave it a try. 
Holding P1 does make it say Lock, 
P2, P3 no descernable function turning on. 
P4 makes every LED segment come on on the screen, then freezes, have to remove power to reset it.
So back to wondering if somehow it had all its memory wiped... 
May look at getting a cable and try reprogramming it, 

okay, the P1 thing makes it seem it's not the key lock you're running into; p4 sounds like a test sequence. I think you're on the right track on them having wiped the memory, and they just didn't program anything for those keys. (i have p3 & p4 as group up/down).

other than a lot of settings being in the menus, i don't think the learning curve is TOO steep, especially if you're familiar with something like chirp. It's also seemed fairly similar across the 3 versions of Vertex CPS I've used (the 4200 and the 924 both use the same CPS, the 539's and the P824 each have their own version, and the P824 CPS won't go on the same PC as the 924/4200).  I don't have it open in front of me to say which item it is (I'm on the desktop, the programs are scattered between a stick PC and a laptop), but the help file has a section that covers the menu items, and it's actually reasonably helpful.

WEll got a data cable, software, reprogrammed a few channels into it, and still nothing. 

So its programmed for the Repeater. Maybe later if I build a new repeater it will become the 50w xmitter for it. 
On the plus side, I have stuff to program the things so don't have to be as scared of them.. 
It does not like programming Wide Band, says that is illegal, when its not. 
Crazy Motorola... 

3 hours ago, wrjc901 said:

WEll got a data cable, software, reprogrammed a few channels into it, and still nothing. 

So its programmed for the Repeater. Maybe later if I build a new repeater it will become the 50w xmitter for it. 
On the plus side, I have stuff to program the things so don't have to be as scared of them.. 
It does not like programming Wide Band, says that is illegal, when its not. 
Crazy Motorola... 

I still have to check what cps versions I have ?‍♂️

some of them you can fool into letting you have wideband by shutting off automatic time updates, and then setting the system date back to like...2005, though not so much for the evx539.

48 minutes ago, overrulecaratmutt said:

Well damn, I've been trying to figure out how to get CE49 (v5.15 and v5.17) to program a VX-5500U wideband as well but the software seems locked independent of the computer date.

image.png.d13e312fb0aba6919c02a66d597f687c.png

It took me a couple tries with one of them, I had to make sure the automatic time updates were really off before changing the time, then change the time, THEN open the software again. 

No solid info, but it wouldn't totally surprise me of the very latest versions (after narrowbanding went into effect) shut that loophole. I'll try to remember to check after work to see if ce49 is one of the versions I have to compare version numbers. 

20 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

If you look for the international version of CE you will be allowed to open up to wideband.

THe software link Blue on ebay sent me was the export version of the software I think..  
Not a bid deal, since mines stuck to using one channel. 
Son wants to use it as it is, programmed to the repeater. 
Other option just save it for a second repeater build later if I can find a location for it 
down around town. Not had much luck on that yet. 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:58 AM, wayoverthere said:

It took me a couple tries with one of them, I had to make sure the automatic time updates were really off before changing the time, then change the time, THEN open the software again. 

No solid info, but it wouldn't totally surprise me of the very latest versions (after narrowbanding went into effect) shut that loophole. I'll try to remember to check after work to see if ce49 is one of the versions I have to compare version numbers. 

Thanks @wayoverthere. I'm new to all of this so not sure what versions are contemporary or not. I think these versions (5.15 and 5.17) of CE49 are circa 2012? Will have to cross-ref that with the deployment of the narrowbanding directive.

@WRFP399 Is there a different product name to search for for the international version of CE49?

Looks like 5.17 is current per https://www.repeater-builder.com/yvs/pdfs/vertex-software-matrix.pdf. I was just in Canada where the int'l version is allowed. I wonder where it can be had from up there.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:02 PM, overrulecaratmutt said:

Thanks @wayoverthere. I'm new to all of this so not sure what versions are contemporary or not. I think these versions (5.15 and 5.17) of CE49 are circa 2012? Will have to cross-ref that with the deployment of the narrowbanding directive.

@WRFP399 Is there a different product name to search for for the international version of CE49?

Looks like 5.17 is current per https://www.repeater-builder.com/yvs/pdfs/vertex-software-matrix.pdf. I was just in Canada where the int'l version is allowed. I wonder where it can be had from up there.

There's definitely been some learning curve with all of this...other than messing with Chirp and a couple Baofengs I grabbed for cheap scanners, I only really started digging into all this last March during the shutdown/shelter in place, and then dove into the deeper end with the commercial gear in January.  It's definitely taken some trial and error and learning.

On the narrowband thing, it looks like 1/1/13 was the deadline for most of the public safety/commercial to be rolled over to that, and i'm sure the software would have been pushing it leading up to that date. 

on versions, i finally went digging through my computers (it's spread across multiple, the CE76 doesn't get along with one of the other versions), and it looks like i have:

• CE59 ( Export V5.04, for the vx4207 & vx924),
  • CE76 (US V3.12, for the p824),
  • CE115 (US & Export V5.01, i think this was said to work for the EVX, but only worked for the prior version) and
  • CE151 (US V1.12, for the enhanced/dot matrix display EVX539s I have).

on the CE59, i believe i bought that from The Antenna Farm, $49 with a cable (as Bluemax49ers didn't list that cable).  quality2wayradios.com also has a good selection of software, and are where i got the software for the EVXs, though some of their stuff is explicit that it's the US/Narrowband version.

Thanks. It sounds like the export/int'l versions of the CE** software is the way to go for the most straightforward current wideband programming of GMRS channels, unless there are other limitations put in place for export use.

I'm new to all of this as well and it's been a bit challenging to navigate used commercial gear and then try to figure out where the support infrastructure is. I'm still unclear if the CE** software is normally paid, always/usually bundled with cables, free with some funky Motorola account, or other.

Just ordered a VX-264 to go with a VX-5500 that is mostly assembled and operational now, so down the rabbithole we go.

11 hours ago, gman1971 said:

Good to see other Vertex users.

BTW, the CPS CE151 is only for the enhanced display EVX-534/539, all other EVX radios, including the segment LCD EVX-534/539 use CE142.

G.

Thanks for clarifying, G. I have the enhanced displays, so I'll edit my post above to make this clear.

Do you mind posting some screenshots? Some others have covered more of the software packages than I have, but even the specific (trunking, maybe?) Talon package looked very similar across versions.

I want to say I had to go into the groups first, and assign them some channels...I did a "gmrs simplex" group with the gmrs interstitial channels (462.5625 etc, aka gmrs01-07) etc,  at low power and the high power channels (462.550 - .725 or 15-22), and then a "gmrs repeaters" group with the offsets and a 141.3 tx tone, no Rx tone, along with the 3 specific repeaters in range.

I'll try to grab some screenshots a bit later this evening that may help visualize.

2 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

I'll try to grab some screenshots a bit later this evening that may help visualize.

So here is the box-stock image for a VX-4200 mobile...one channel, everything else greyed out.  However, each of those greyed out channels, I can double click to activate it.  It starts out with just one group.

image.thumb.png.76134fdb15db8be559b9705fa269881b.png

if I click the channel menu, the only option I get is "Channel Allocation/Group Tag", which gives me this window. It's set for 16 channels in Group 01 (which I can rename) and that it's will scan this group.  As above, I might have "GMRS Smplx" as my first group, "GMRS-Rept" as the second, allot 16 channels to that, set it to also scan there, and click OK. I can have up to 16 channels per group.

image.png.5b7eb5466dc2702fa0cf8f70ee7b291d.png

Once Group 02 has some channels also, that "Group 1" dropdown near the top left will let me pick more than one group to edit.  The main window is where you'll add our frequencies, channel names, and tones. Click the tone field for the channel you want to edit, and hit the space bar, it will cycle through CTCSS, DCS, and none. when you have the right type of tone, double click and it will bring up a window to select the actual tone frequency/number you want.

image.png.463fa9a3d82c48857ee87a774e89d490.png

Hope this helps with a starting point, at least.  I don't have the other packages in front of me at the moment, (CE151/CE142 for the EVX series handhelds), but i remember one more column to set channels as analog or digital, close to the left side.