Are there frequencies that I can use 50 watts on simplex, that are not on repeater output freq ?

WRMS528

So in other words, Hams can transmit simplex on the inputs of out of area repeaters. 

I agree with jwilkers.

There are no FCC regulations on specific frequency usage within the ham bands. Specific usage of frequencies is governed by national, regional and local band-plan agreements. Use of a frequency outside the agreement may result in local hams on your back, but there is nothing the FCC can or will do about it. Amateur radio is self-policing up until you cause interference outside the amateur bands. GMRS on the other hand is regulated.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 8/3/2021 at 5:20 PM, MichaelLAX said:

So in other words, Hams can transmit simplex on the inputs of out of area repeaters. 

Well yes, it is technically and legally allowed, but what would be the point? There are dozens and dozens of "non-repeater" frequencies available for simplex communications.  I suggest that no respectable ham wants to be a "lid."

On 8/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, JLeikhim said:

Well yes, it is technically and legally allowed, but what would be the point? There are dozens and dozens of "non-repeater" frequencies available for simplex communications.  I suggest that no respectable ham wants to be a "lid."

The point is just not understood by the Part 95 Police here on this forum, so let me give a recent anecdote, and analogize it to GRMS:

I was driving to lunch and operating my AnyTone AT-779UV on the PAPA System here in SoCal when I realized the Ham I was chatting with was heading in the same direction and just a few miles behind me.

So I hit the [A-FUN] button on my Anytone mic and then the [6-REV] button to listen to the input of the Repeater and lo-and-behold, there was my contact! So I contacted him by "split-frequency simplex" on the output of the repeater, and sure enough, he could hear me.

So after a few rounds of chatting (which I commented would seem strange to those listening to only my contact and not hearing me on the repeater output), we decided to free up the repeater and moved to 446.0 simplex to conclude the conversation.

But to the Part 95 Police on this Forum, if we had been on a local GMRS repeater and made the same "simplex" conversation on the 467.xxxx input frequency of the repeater, all heck would break lose here! ?? 

[see some of the prior messages on just this thread alone!]

56 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

So after a few rounds of chatting (which I commented would seem strange to those listening to only my contact and not hearing me on the repeater output), we decided to free up the repeater and moved to 446.0 simplex to conclude the conversation.

So, you messed up (potentially, maybe not) the repeater for everyone else. Congrats, take a cookie from the jar.

I think that was answered before. Ham is self-policing, GMRS is regulated. GMRS is structured, cut and chiseled very much like land-mobile business service. Totally not like Amateur Radio.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:30 AM, MichaelLAX said:

What exactly do you mean by "illegally?"

That's the question you've asked. Simplex operating on repeater inputs makes memory short, apparently. Or maybe it's other way around, short memory and comprehension deficiencies encourage simplex operation on repeater inputs.

Good Day MichaelLAX,

Some GMRS radios have a ‘Talk-Around’ feature which affords the ability to conveniently flip from duplex repeater operation to simplex operation using the same main channel the repeater is Tx on.

Some GMRS may also have a reverse function as well which is a great feature for identifying if someone you are listening to is within simplex range, same as many amateur radio.

None of my current part 95e radios feature the latter (at present), so I have reverted to programming the repeater input frequencies as Rx only channels on all my radios. Each is programmed in a channel nearby the repeater channel in my channel roll so it is reasonably easy to access.

If I encounter someone within simplex range, I can use the talk-around feature to hold a direct conversation with them and they can do the same with me. In each case, any two-way conversation is happening on the 462.xxxx simplex frequency, this leaving the repeater free for its intended purpose.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM