Anyone have any trouble with using 2 KG1000G GMRS as repeaters? Can get mine to work

1Duncan1

12 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

What you say we try that again...  Seems like you are getting off on the wrong foot and coming in hot. I don't think initially people were trying to be disparaging but perhaps you took it that way.  First, thank you for your service. Second, no one cares about your degrees. Oh Yeah, Spoiler alert it's a forum not the help desk where you bought your radios so advice and opinions are going to be at the discretion of the people giving it. You wouldn't ask a stranger for directions on the street and yell at them would you? What people are trying to point out is older commercial grade equipment has a well regarded reputation for doing the job that your set up does not. Perhaps someone at your local Ham club has a set up you can buy that isn't some "shady seller". If you stick around you'll find some helpful people here, in fact there right here in this thread. Good luck.

You're welcome for my service, and while I don't really care to mention degrees, the implication was that I had no idea what I was talking about.  We can get into work experience too and what I did for the last roughly three decades, but as you point out that's as irrelevant as the initial appeal to authority argument that was presented to me which was coupled with a rather patronizing tone (which was quite intentional; very sad-hammish).

I'm a bit curious to know what your understanding of forums is, since it would seem to run contrary to their purpose which would be to explore ideas and discussions which promote solutions to problems, particularly in threads which are created specifically to resolve an issue where help was solicited.  I suspect that if someone had posted a general question you'd be the first guy to suggest "jUsT uSE tEh SUrCh FunKsHUn!" 

Now there's a problem with your directions analogy:  I didn't proverbially ask directions and then yell at the people who gave them.  The correct analogy would be that I went to a town and asked directions to a place from a local who knew the place, but instead of giving them to me or telling me they didn't have good directions to give (or simply kept silent) they told me that the directions I needed were to a place that they didn't like much, and because they didn't like it much that I should just go to another place instead and that I was really unqualified to make any distinction between where I needed directions to an the other place they wanted me to go, and then whined incessantly and threw a tantrum when I pointed out that I really just needed directions to the place I asked about to begin with.  Maybe you can't see the difference, but I suspect you can and you're trying to dig out of a hole that shouldn't have ever been dug.

1 hour ago, WROZ794 said:

suspect that if someone had posted a general question you'd be the first guy to suggest "jUsT uSE tEh SUrCh FunKsHUn!" 

See that’s the tone I’m getting at. 🤷‍♂️Feel better? Question is rhetorical. You’d be wrong by the way. I try to help when I can and I listen a lot. 

I'm a bit curious to know what your understanding of forums

“A forum is an online discussion board where people can ask questions, share their experiences, and discuss topics of mutual interest.” 

I pulled the definition and I believe my understanding was/is on the mark. I think the keyword is “discussion” not aggression. I’m sure you’ve heard the proverbial “you attract more bees with honey than vinegar”. 

Maybe you can't see the difference, but I suspect you can and you're trying to dig out of a hole that shouldn't have ever been dug.

I’ve got no dog in this fight. I’m not perfect and I think people should get a second chance. I don’t know about a third one though. I didn’t dig a hole, I just saw a boat quickly sinking and thought maybe I mention the stopper sitting there could be used to plug it. Sounds like you got this. If not I hope you find the answers you’re looking for. Cheers ☕️ 

2 hours ago, WROZ794 said:

You're welcome for my service, and while I don't really care to mention degrees, the implication was that I had no idea what I was talking about.  We can get into work experience too and what I did for the last roughly three decades, but as you point out that's as irrelevant as the initial appeal to authority argument that was presented to me which was coupled with a rather patronizing tone (which was quite intentional; very sad-hammish).

I'm a bit curious to know what your understanding of forums is, since it would seem to run contrary to their purpose which would be to explore ideas and discussions which promote solutions to problems, particularly in threads which are created specifically to resolve an issue where help was solicited.  I suspect that if someone had posted a general question you'd be the first guy to suggest "jUsT uSE tEh SUrCh FunKsHUn!" 

Now there's a problem with your directions analogy:  I didn't proverbially ask directions and then yell at the people who gave them.  The correct analogy would be that I went to a town and asked directions to a place from a local who knew the place, but instead of giving them to me or telling me they didn't have good directions to give (or simply kept silent) they told me that the directions I needed were to a place that they didn't like much, and because they didn't like it much that I should just go to another place instead and that I was really unqualified to make any distinction between where I needed directions to an the other place they wanted me to go, and then whined incessantly and threw a tantrum when I pointed out that I really just needed directions to the place I asked about to begin with.  Maybe you can't see the difference, but I suspect you can and you're trying to dig out of a hole that shouldn't have ever been dug.

When you’re an asshole to the one person who honestly tried to calm the discussion down a little you’re not likely to find much help. 
I realize that you just wanted specific answers to the questions you were asking, not to have someone tell you had already chosen wrong, but that’s how forums are. 
And I certainly understand how the idiotic outburst against CCRs is the farthest thing from being helpful. I’ve mostly learned to ignore that person and his whining about CCRs. 
But Gil (wruu653) truly is someone who tries hard to help. 
I hope you find someone who can help you with your repeater. 

I posted the correct pinout for making a new cable along with suggesting the use of shielded cable and shielded connectors. If the cable that came with the radios isn't long enough then a custom length cable will need to be made. The pinout Wouxun uses won't match any commercially available cables unless one purchases a custom made cable.

Good luck on the project.

42 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

If the cable that came with the radios isn't long enough then a custom length cable will need to be made.

He might be able to put together an RJ45 coupler, a straight through Cat6 cable, and the cable that came with the radios to get the right pin out and length, but shielding might be an issue. 

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

When you’re an asshole to the one person who honestly tried to calm the discussion down a little you’re not likely to find much help. 
I realize that you just wanted specific answers to the questions you were asking, not to have someone tell you had already chosen wrong, but that’s how forums are. 
And I certainly understand how the idiotic outburst against CCRs is the farthest thing from being helpful. I’ve mostly learned to ignore that person and his whining about CCRs. 
But Gil (wruu653) truly is someone who tries hard to help. 
I hope you find someone who can help you with your repeater. 

Except he didn't.  The entire diatribe was a bit back-handed and then reenforced answers which had nothing to do with the questions.  You can feel free to quote my questions, if it'll help.  Hell, during the initial post I even stated outright that I didn't mind being corrected on points I might be wrong about, which is why the rather exhaustive description was offered.  

So far, what I'm seeing is grade-school level 'us vs. them' nonsense which is unhelpful, and if anyone reading this far is being honest, they'll see the same; it's objectively true.

I do appreciate your well wishes with the project.  Many folks have used these, successfully, as repeaters which are well within my use-case, and after performing a few searches here, found this thread and figured it would be the most applicable without starting up new (being respectful and all).  I simply don't cotton to the 'just buy something else' idea while utterly ignoring the actual topic, which is precisely what happened.  It's rude, and it is intentionally unhelpful.

4 hours ago, gortex2 said:

While I appreciate these, you'll find that I addressed the first video in my first post; that is not the 'Plus' version and the menu options have changed, and the information in the manual is complete.  The second video is one I've watched, which I've also refenced (I've consumed the entire series as well as the KG1000G videos Randy has made), but there are some gaps there as well and it was unclear whether or not the repeaters used were Plus models or the prior models, though they are almost certainly the prior units due to the menus differing (though I suppose the latest iteration which I have may have captured changes that even Plus models of just a bit ago may not have).

5 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

I posted the correct pinout for making a new cable along with suggesting the use of shielded cable and shielded connectors. If the cable that came with the radios isn't long enough then a custom length cable will need to be made. The pinout Wouxun uses won't match any commercially available cables unless one purchases a custom made cable.

Good luck on the project.

The cable supplied is, if anything, is unnecessarily long; no issue there at all.  Shielding shouldn't be an issue either, and I don't believe is in the mix at the moment because what appears to be the trouble is that it isn't pushing the signal from the RX unit to the TX.  Oddly, the TX will show a 'receive' indicator but the RX unit will not.  This could be normal, but it'd surprise me.  It doesn't matter which of the other two units I set up as RX, none of them will indicate a receive.  When I transmit on a separate radio, and have the TX side of the repeater pair's speaker active, I will hear my voice through the repeater, but it doesn't appear to actually be radiating a signal via the antenna.  This makes me think it is a data stream issue related to programming, which brings me right back to 'what am I not doing correctly', but unfortunately can't seem to be answered by the manual or any of the other resources I've found.  Moreover, I went to the Wouxan website and discovered that the KG-1000G isn't listed in their radio set (that I could find) so perhaps they've deep-sixed this unit.  Who knows?  I do know they were backordered.

When I identified the desense problem with the two KG1000 Plus radios I called Buy Twoway Radios regarding this issue. I explained the extensive trouble shooting procedure I used and what were the results and they essentially in a matter of words said my test procedure was flawed and that no one else was having this problem. They did say send back the radios so they can performed their own test and if the radios performed as designed they were not going to refund my purchase.

I sold the two radios as single units. I will never do business again with that dealer or buy any CCR in my lifetime.

I learned my lesson.

59 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Sounds like you wont be buying a GMRS radio ever again then..

That is actually true. I will only buy Motorola and I am pretty much set for some time now. I have numerous mobiles and portables of various models all UHF except one VHF XTS1500.

Unlike several here, I'm giving some updates that will be productive for any future folks who might encounter the same issue.

The supplied crossover ethernet cable (pins 5 and 7 are transposed on one connector) IS used to connect the units to allow for proper data communication.

The units use the somewhat counterintuitive method of putting the RX frequency into the TX unit, and vice-versa; this isn't uncommon but is somewhat counterintuitive in commercial grade equipment and would almost certainly confound a new user.  An explanation for the new user:  Take Repeater 1 (CH023)/RPT-15:  The TX freq is 467.550 and the RX freq is 462.550.  Because the repeater system is simply relaying what it hears, you want the receiver to listen on the frequency that everyone else is transmitting on, and to transmit on the frequency that everyone else is listening on.  This means you'll see the frequencies opposite of TX/RX charts and opposite of your HT or base stations.  I hope that makes sense. 

As for programming/setup:

The menus have changed from the non-'Plus' version of these units, and perhaps have even evolved during the most current run of the 'Plus' models from anything I've been able to find on the internet.  Menu option 054 will take you to the repeater on/off selector menu, however to tell the units what they are, you must SCROLL from that menu number, back to itself where it'll give you the repeater mode option, where you can select either TX or RX.  You'll need to select #7 on the keypad of the mic (the only way I could get this to work) to take the radio back out of repeater mode, hit the #2 button to key in the frequency number, then hit #7 again to turn the repeater back on.  This is an order of operations exercise that I finally figured out, and it appears to be the only way this will function.  Finally, I had to go in and set the CTCSS tone by selecting menu option 009 on the RX unit and 010 on the TX unit.  You can do this by manually setting it to 000.0 MHz via the keypad, or by selecting a pre-selected value by scrolling up and down.  I could not get the repeater to work until this final step had been performed even though it defaulted to 'off'.  

The new manual doesn't (at least from my poking through it) identify what the repeater mode active symbol is correctly.  It is the same as the prior non-'Plus' model with the crossed arrows, however the manual seems to indicate a '+' is used instead.