Radioddity GM 30 will not transmit CTCSS codes to either Midland or Wouxon HT's.

rescue08

Question

Experienced user of GMRS. New handheld was programmed over and over with the correct Privacy codes to speak to my other GMRS radios. It receives from the other radios, but when you transmit is does not open the Privacy circuit on either radio. Use channel 21 and 85.4  as an example. All codes are properly saved, converted to Wide band and I have reset the radio 4 times. On all other channels it is wonderful. No local repeaters to test that part of the radio, but when I programmed the unit to talk to the Wouxon on a repeater channel I have the same issue. One way calling from Wouxon to Radioddity, reverse fail. Using the same base frequency462.6000. Radio shows a plus sign. 

13 answers to this question

I don’t have an answer but I’m interested as I have the same radio. The only transmissions I’ve made have been to a repeater that uses dpl, which works.

Oh! Now that I think of it, I’ve programmed in some ham repeaters to listen to, and originally programmed in the tones and never heard anything, so I took them out since I was only listening. Because it was my first attempt at programming I thought perhaps I had made a mistake. Tomorrow I’ll try those again to see if I get the same result.

I am going to test the unit by reaching out to a repeater that does not need any codes. If it connects and my Wouxon can reply then we can isolate down to the codes being defective. My unit says it has the software version 06.03.003 which is later than the upgrades on the web site. Also the programming cable does not read the radio so that is another red flag.

I've used my GM-30 successfully to talk to other radios (Wouxon and others) using a repeater with the CTCSS set to 131.8. I haven't tried using codes on simplex to talk from one to the other, but I would expect it to work. I'll give it a try and report back when I do so.

To follow up on my previous reply, I don’t have another radio to test, but I have some amateur frequencies programmed in. On channel 58 I have the repeater on the Chase Bank Tower in Houston programmed in, 444.3 MHz. To test, I programmed in the same frequency and set the receive tone to 123.0 on channel 68. I waited for an active period on 58, and then checked 68. Sure enough, the receive light was on, but no audio.

Unfortunately, I’m not certain this was a valid test. According to repeater book that’s an uplink tone, so I don’t know if it applies on downlink.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=48&ID=1477

EDIT: I changed it to the Conroe, Texas 147.02 repeater which lists both up- and downlink tones. Should be a reliable test.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=48&ID=587

Edited by alanplarue

1 hour ago, alanplarue said:

EDIT: I changed it to the Conroe, Texas 147.02 repeater which lists both up- and downlink tones. Should be a reliable test.

Well, quick test. It does in fact receive and pass through the audio while using the tone. That doesn’t confirm sending, but it does confirm that the radio successfully processes the tone on receive.

The OP mentioned using a repeater channel to talk to the other radio but has no repeater nearby. Also, the display shows a plus sign. That is because you are transmitting on 467.xxx mhz but receiving on 462.xxx mhz. You can not talk to your other radio on simplex using a repeater channel by default regardless of ctcss tones/codes. Switch to a simplex channel and try again with codes.

Edited by EB1156

I had the same issue at first (with Radioddity DG20 and Midland Hand Units) and discovered that Midland and Radioddity CTCSS  charts are not exaclty the same, i.e. CTCSS 10 on Midland is not the same freq as CTCSS 10 on the Radioddity.  But when I set them to same freq everything works fine (CTCSS 12 on DG-20 correlateds to CTCSS 10 on Midland.)

2 hours ago, RKW573 said:

I had the same issue at first (with Radioddity DG20 and Midland Hand Units) and discovered that Midland and Radioddity CTCSS  charts are not exaclty the same, i.e. CTCSS 10 on Midland is not the same freq as CTCSS 10 on the Radioddity.  But when I set them to same freq everything works fine (CTCSS 12 on DG-20 correlateds to CTCSS 10 on Midland.)

This!!!

The OP mentioned using a repeater channel to talk to the other radio but has no repeater nearby. Also, the display shows a plus sign. That is because you are transmitting on 467.xxx mhz but receiving on 462.xxx mhz. You can not talk to your other radio on simplex using a repeater channel by default regardless of ctcss tones/codes. Switch to a simplex channel and try again with codes.

I had the same thought… I believe it may be one of the DIY preset channels, (the “+” sign is a dead giveaway…)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk