Non citizen licence query and internet TX

Guest Darren

Guest Darren

Hi everyone ?

2 Questions I guess 

1) Can a non US citizen apply for a GMRS licence whilst in there home Country 

2) If question 1 answer is yes .... would i be able to transmit from my home country (via grms repeaters on zello)

I am hoping to vacation in the USA in 2022 [Covid permitting] i was thinking apply for licence before arriving in the US ... and also practice gmrs chatting via repeaters on zello.

Sent with warmest regards

Darren

Hi everyone
2 Questions I guess 
1) Can a non US citizen apply for a GMRS licence whilst in there home Country 
2) If question 1 answer is yes .... would i be able to transmit from my home country (via grms repeaters on zello)
I am hoping to vacation in the USA in 2022 [Covid permitting] i was thinking apply for licence before arriving in the US ... and also practice gmrs chatting via repeaters on zello.
Sent with warmest regards
Darren

I don’t have an absolute answer for you regarding the license, but it would seem to be an easy thing to find out. Go through the motions of applying for the license online at the FCC website. Answer all questions accurately and enter your home address in country of origin. I would imagine that if the decision to issue a license or not is based objectively on the information in the application that you would not make it to the payment stage if the answers are not conducive to receiving a license.

Don’t know about the Zello issue for certain either. I could see that going either way. On one hand, as a GMRS license holder you are limited to there you can “Operate”. This is basically in the US territories and over international waters with restrictions. On the other hand, when using Zello you are not operating your station, but instead someone else’s and you are controlling it outside the permitted locations where operation is permitted. So that may put operation in a gray area.

A letter to the FCC with specific questions may be worth your while.

BTW, I appreciate that you are seeking the legal way to do this and I hope you enjoy your visit to the US when it happens.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

10 hours ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

Doesn't the US generally have reciprocal license recognition for many radio licenses?  IDK how to phrase it for internet search 

We do recognize reciprocal amateur radio operating privileges, which generally require applying for a temporary license. 

https://www.arrl.org/us-amateurs-operating-overseas

But AFAIK that's about the only global reciprocity from an individual's standpoint.  There's agreements between the US and Canada for FRS/GMRS and commercial and public service on the border and on the Great Lakes.  But those are special exceptions due to our proximity.

Otherwise the FCC (and I think other countries) issue what are known as restricted radiotelephone operator licenses when you need to use radios internationally.  These would be radio operators on aircraft or ships, for example, and not usually informal operators (e.g. hams).

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/commercial-radio-operator-license-program/commercial-0

50 minutes ago, mbrun said:

Don’t know about the Zello issue for certain either. I could see that going either way. On one hand, as a GMRS license holder you are limited to there you can “Operate”. This is basically in the US territories and over international waters with restrictions. On the other hand, when using Zello you are not operating your station, but instead someone else’s and you are controlling it outside the permitted locations where operation is permitted. So that may put operation in a gray area.

I don't know either if there's a written rule on this but with ham radio it's AFAIK accepted that operating things like Echolink, IRLP or DroidStar that when you key a radio you need a license.  IOW say you're talking on a mobile radio to someone via EchoLink on their computer you both still have to be licensed.  The app is like a very long mic extension cable.

GMRS is a little different in that the license covers a family.  But GMRS has the stipulation that you cannot link radios via the PSTN, only non-interconnected VoIP or RF link.  Since it's an app that doesn't require dialing it's probably OK but it's kind of fuzzy with the "non-interconnected" statement.  But if you're not family then you'd both need a GMRS license either way and the FCC only issues those to citizens, so back to square one.