New GMRS Mobile Radio - Wouxun KG-XS20G

mbrun

1 hour ago, Usmc1968 said:

I am brand spanking new (still have the Friggin new guy smell) to GMRS and looking at the Wouxun KG-X20G Plus and BTech GMRS-50V2 for home/vehicle use and a pair of BTech GMRS-Pro's. I greatly appreciate these forums!

Semper Fi

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum. I can definitely recommend the Wouxun KG-XS20G, especially if you plan on having a radio in a SxS. I use the XS20G with a Comet 2x4SR antenna in my SxS and have no issues reaching the local repeater. I also always get good signal reports and am told that my transmissions are always clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my KG-XS20G and trying to figure out if I got a bad one.  Using it mobile with a UT-72g magnetic antenna.  Originally had a KG-935g+ and it receives great but I'm a little out of transmit range of the repeaters in most places so decided to upgrade.  Receive is now scratchy at best, squelch seems to shutdown reception regardless of setting, and transmit doesn't seem to be much better if at all.  I keep flipping back and forth between the 2 units just to confirm it's not just lousy reception in general but same thing, 935 fine xs20 bad.  I checked with a Surecom 102 (yeah know this can potentially be bogus) and SWR is 1.4 on both units using the  same antenna.  Power is 5.5-7 watts on 935 but only 15.5 on XS20 which is low from specs and way low from various reviews.  I have tried various channels both simplex and repeater with no real change.  Any ideas before I call BTWR?

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2024 at 7:53 AM, WRZP383 said:

Just received my KG-XS20G and trying to figure out if I got a bad one.  Using it mobile with a UT-72g magnetic antenna.  Originally had a KG-935g+ and it receives great but I'm a little out of transmit range of the repeaters in most places so decided to upgrade.  Receive is now scratchy at best, squelch seems to shutdown reception regardless of setting, and transmit doesn't seem to be much better if at all.  I keep flipping back and forth between the 2 units just to confirm it's not just lousy reception in general but same thing, 935 fine xs20 bad.  I checked with a Surecom 102 (yeah know this can potentially be bogus) and SWR is 1.4 on both units using the  same antenna.  Power is 5.5-7 watts on 935 but only 15.5 on XS20 which is low from specs and way low from various reviews.  I have tried various channels both simplex and repeater with no real change.  Any ideas before I call BTWR?

Did you figure it out? What are you using to power the XS20? seeing a reduced output power could be a sign of bad power (ex low voltage, current limited, unstable), which could also explain noisy reception. Just offering some suggestions, though a new thread would probably get you more eyes (I just happened upon this post in a google search).

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 6:00 PM, wayoverthere said:

No good source of 12v in the RV?

For perspective, per the display on my alinco psu, my 50 watt Btech draws between 10 and 11 amps on high, while the 15 watt Midland drew 3.5 amps. If your wouxun is in the same ballpark, that would put it in the 4-5 amp range on high.

This pyramid is likely sufficient, though not a lot of headroom. Reasonably priced, and it's a linear regulated (rather than switching) power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Compact-Bench-Power-Supply/dp/B000A896GG/

(I had an eye toward more than just the btech when I was setting up, so I over-spec'd on power supply, 22amp continuous, 30amp surge Alinco from DXE)

From the manual

Optional Connections
12V Vehicle Power Adapter
The KG-XS20G includes a 12V vehicle power adapter for use as an alternative to the
hardwire installation. Note: The KG-XS20G typically draws less than 4.5 amps of
power when in use on high power. Confirm that your vehicle’s accessory port uses a
minimum 10 amp fuse before attempting to use the 12V power adapter.