New GMRS Mobile Radio - Wouxun KG-XS20G

mbrun

Kudos to Wouxun.

From a features and knowing what customers want perspective, Wouxun is doing well these days.  For example, their GMRS mobile and handheld radios provide the capabilities that are conducive to GMRS *repeater* use (e.g., split tones, the ability to store multiple versions of the same frequencies with different tones in memory slots, wide band as well as narrow band, etc.).

With their new KG-XS20G radio, I see it includes a feature abandoned by many radio manufacturers, including the big names.  I am referring to Wouxun's use of the robust, old style mic connector, the one with the circular retention collar.  That collar plus the strain relief cover over the mic cord makes for a sturdy mic system.  I prefer this hands down over the modern trend of the RJ-45 style of mic connector.  My $0.02 anyway.

Hopefully Wouxun will read this and it will encourage them to continue making good design choices.  And if their competitors read this, maybe it will give them something to think about going forward.

I have no connection with Wouxun or companies such as buytwowayradios.com which sell this product.  Just had to give props to Wouxun for their choice of a mic connector in this case.

The big benefit of this radio, is the lower cost (vs. KG-1000G).  It has less output power, and a few other missing features (like a removable faceplate).  But, for many people, this would be a much more approachable price for a mobile GMRS radio.

Also, I'm not convinced of the benefits of 50W vs 20W in a mobile radio.  Sure, in a repeater, with an antenna high above the terrain, 50W can be very useful.  But 50W on a mobile antenna ~6ft off the ground, in simplex, how often does that make a difference?  Anyway, my point is Wouxun/BTWR has released a very compelling radio at a much better price-point (unless one needs the removable faceplate). 

2 hours ago, WRMH343 said:

The big benefit of this radio, is the lower cost (vs. KG-1000G).  It has less output power, and a few other missing features (like a removable faceplate).  But, for many people, this would be a much more approachable price for a mobile GMRS radio.

Also, I'm not convinced of the benefits of 50W vs 20W in a mobile radio.  Sure, in a repeater, with an antenna high above the terrain, 50W can be very useful.  But 50W on a mobile antenna ~6ft off the ground, in simplex, how often does that make a difference?  Anyway, my point is Wouxun/BTWR has released a very compelling radio at a much better price-point (unless one needs the removable faceplate). 

I would wait until someone else buys one and uses it in a typical urban environment. I suspect due to the small size this is likely just another inexpensive radio-on-a-chip design with a fancy screen and more power output compared to an HT. 

Where these radios really fail is in the receiver section. For example I got a TYT-8600 new for $100 a couple years ago. On UHF the receiver selectively is poor. I get very strong signals showing up on various FRS/GMRS channels I know for a fact is not there, confirmed by simultaneously monitoring with a good commercial radio. In my case it was a high power police dispatch system 10 miles out and a DMR repeater at a hospital about the same distance the other direction.

Remember if you can’t hear the other station because of a poor receiver then your transmit power makes no difference. 

10 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I would wait until someone else buys one and uses it in a typical urban environment. I suspect due to the small size this is likely just another inexpensive radio-on-a-chip design with a fancy screen and more power output compared to an HT. 

Actually, the LCD layout looks identical to their KG-UV9* and KG-UV8* HTs.  Those radios all have superheterodyne receivers (not radio-on-chip), so I would expect the same here. 

That would be a big improvement.

Just about, if not all of the commercial radios where I looked at the schematics, use some type of tracking filter on the front end as well. If somebody has access to the service manual for this radio it shouldn’t be hard to tell if the same was done there. 

From some comments made on another site I believe the Anytone D878UV, and likely the D578UV, have tracking filters on the receiver’s front end. Very likely the reason why they cost more and perform better that your typical $20 CCR. 

In any case a super heterodyne design will help with image rejection if the IF frequencies are picked right. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had one for two weeks now. I do not have much to compare it to other than HTs with external antennas. It is easy to use. Mic is nice. I'd guess my range with a mobile antenna in the truck has easily doubled (20-25 miles). At home with a Diamond X50 antenna in the attic has also doubled (30-35 miles).

Speaker is good and the one on the mic is nice to have. It has no fan so it does get toasty if you TX much.  

Received mine yesterday. Very nice little radio. I plugged it in to my 12 volt supply for my base unit setup and programmed my local repeaters and named them. Didn't need the software, but I can see how the software programming would be faster. I haven't been able to figure out how to save certain scan groups. I'd like to be able to just scan my saved repeaters and skip the simplex channels in scan mode. 

Received mine yesterday. Very nice little radio. I plugged it in to my 12 volt supply for my base unit setup and programmed my local repeaters and named them. Didn't need the software, but I can see how the software programming would be faster. I haven't been able to figure out how to save certain scan groups. I'd like to be able to just scan my saved repeaters and skip the simplex channels in scan mode. 

To create groups you will need the software. But you can select the ‘ALL’ scan group on the radio and remove the channels you don’t want scanned. Each channel has a setting that allows you say if you do or do not want it scanned. No software needed for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just got mine yesterday, checked out at 21.5 watts transmiting, installed in the Rv replacing the handheld I was using there, so far so good, looking forward to using it as mobile base station out in the wilds, talking to the KG1000g in the Jeep or one of the handhelds being used on a hike by people in the family when camping, Since first posting this I have cleaned up the wiring with split wire loom tubing

Wouxun KG-XS20G.jpg

54 minutes ago, DownEastNC said:

I just placed an order for the KG-XS20G. I wanted the Nagoya NL-770G mobile antenna but they're back ordered for a couple of weeks so I settled on the Wouxun ANO-050G. I may look into a 120 volt power supply so I can play with it in the RV.

CHECK OUT THIS POWER SUPPLY FOT THE KG-XS20G  Amazon.com: ACEXL Cigarette Lighter Adapter-Ac to Dc Converter-Car Plug Adapter Outlet-Car Cigarette Lighter Socket-110 to 12 Volt-Car Adapter to Wall Outlet-12 Volt Power Supply-24Watts : Automotive

17 minutes ago, TOM47 said:

The owners manual says...

The specified fuse current is 15A. The specified power source current is 20A and above

That cigarette lighter power supply is only good for 2 amps so I don't think it will cover the requirements of that radio.

Thanks for the lead but I think I need to keep looking.

Edit: Here's what I think we need; https://www.amazon.com/SHNITPWR-Converter-Cigarette-Transformer-Refrigerator/dp/B08LKTW22R/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=20%2Bamp%2Bcigarette%2Blighter%2Badapter&qid=1634334290&s=electronics&sr=1-5&th=1

Edited by DownEastNC
Fixed spelling and addl info

1. 12 minutes ago, DownEastNC said:
    1. The owners manual says...
    2. That cigarette lighter power supply is only good for 2 amps so I don't think it will cover the requirements of that radio.
    3. Thanks for the lead bu I think I need to keep looking.

No good source of 12v in the RV?

For perspective, per the display on my alinco psu, my 50 watt Btech draws between 10 and 11 amps on high, while the 15 watt Midland drew 3.5 amps. If your wouxun is in the same ballpark, that would put it in the 4-5 amp range on high.

This pyramid is likely sufficient, though not a lot of headroom. Reasonably priced, and it's a linear regulated (rather than switching) power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Compact-Bench-Power-Supply/dp/B000A896GG/

(I had an eye toward more than just the btech when I was setting up, so I over-spec'd on power supply, 22amp continuous, 30amp surge Alinco from DXE)