Dual watch to scanning FRS radio

AJBelayer

I’m looking for a FRS (not GMRS due to license challenges) that has dual watch feature just like the boafeng and similar but licensed for FRS instead of GMRS, anyone know of any?

My youngest kid loves listening to the ham radio channels at field day and whatnot but he’s not yet old enough to understand id’ing and whatnot of more advanced radios/GMRS so I was hoping to find him one where he could talk to me on FRS but still listen to the ham radio VHF/UHF frequencies.  Not sure if something like that is even legal.

Any recommendations appreciated.

+1 on a used scanner, as mentioned above. Many handheld and base station scanners from the 1980's and 90's could listen to both VHF and UHF, and scan faster than an older FRS radio on scan mode in many cases. I have even found a few at thrift stores for a few dollars as many people do not know what they are. They will usually have corroded battery contacts, but can be cleaned with DeoxIt, and most of the time still work fine. I have one Pro-39 that had some bad buttons though. If you insist on looking for a FRS handheld, look for older 14 channel only radios such as the Motorola FR50, but then, many of those older radios lack the scan feature. So, happy hunting.

You're not going to find a FRS radio with dual watch.

You can set each of the channels on the GM-30 to Low Power.

That leaves figuring out a way to stop transmissions on the Repeater Channels (23-54).

I gave my GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV, to my grandson with my GMRS ID taped to the battery pack on the back.  Admittedly, he is 10 years old, tho.

I’m looking for a FRS (not GMRS due to license challenges) that has dual watch feature just like the boafeng and similar but licensed for FRS instead of GMRS, anyone know of any?

My youngest kid loves listening to the ham radio channels at field day and whatnot but he’s not yet old enough to understand id’ing and whatnot of more advanced radios/GMRS so I was hoping to find him one where he could talk to me on FRS but still listen to the ham radio VHF/UHF frequencies.  Not sure if something like that is even legal.

Any recommendations appreciated.

The KG-805F is not dual watch, but it is legal for transmitting on FRS as well as listening to a chunk of the UHF spectrum, so long as you program in the specific frequencies you want him to have access to.

All other dual-watch radios I know of require a GMRS or Amateur radio license. The KG-935G as True Dual Receive radio and legally transmit on all GMRS frequencies and can listen to NOAA and wide range of VHF and UHF spectrum. Radio is probably a bit big for a 5 year old, but with a handheld mic he could key it easily.

I honestly believe you could coach your son into using a call sign acceptably.

One thing you could do with the radio to minimize is reach is to remove the repeater channels from the radio until his radio etiquette has improved to your liking, and you can turn the power down on all channels to 1/2 watt, comparable to FRS. You could even switch all the Tx channels to narrow band, again comparable to FRS.

Just some additional thoughts for you.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

11 hours ago, mbrun said:

The KG-805F is not dual watch, but it is legal for transmitting on FRS as well as listening to a chunk of the UHF spectrum, so long as you program in the specific frequencies you want him to have access to...

One thing you could do with the radio to minimize is reach is to remove the repeater channels from the radio until his radio etiquette has improved to your liking, and you can turn the power down on all channels to 1/2 watt, comparable to FRS. You could even switch all the Tx channels to narrow band, again comparable to FRS...

So you are suggesting using the KG-805G with a GMRS license, but operate it as if it was an FRS radio?  Interesting...

I downloaded its programming software, and indeed, it can convert the repeater channels to simplex; unlike the Radioddity GM-30 (and its clone, the Pofung P15UV which I gave to my grandson), for which I cannot find a way to remove or modify the repeater channels.

And it's too bad there is not a 2 watt Medium power level in addition to its 5 watt High and 0.5 watt Low power settings.  

Using narrowband to communicate with Wideband radios will present a problem though.  Perhaps it is better to keep Wide except for Channels 8-14.

KG-805G.jpg

A crappy rubber duck would also inhibit longer distance propagationand can limit it to UHF/GMRS wavelengths.  

example:

My very nice Kenwood ham tribander is super with a good antenna, but near worthless with the rubber duck that came on it. I can hit repeaters over 20 miles away with proper elevation and the good antenna on all 3 bands, but only UHF under a mile away with the rubber duck. 

So you are suggesting using the KG-805G with a GMRS license, but operate it as if it was an FRS radio?  Interesting...
I downloaded its programming software, and indeed, it can convert the repeater channels to simplex; unlike the Radioddity GM-30 (and its clone, the Pofung P15UV which I gave to my grandson), for which I cannot find a way to remove the repeater channels.
And it's too bad there is not a 2 watt Medium power level in addition to its 5 watt High and 0.5 watt Low power settings.  
Using narrowband to communicate with Wideband radios will present a problem though.  Perhaps it is better to keep Wide except for Channels 8-14.

KG-805G.thumb.jpg.b138dd1c3b698a9a59a99d70306f1303.jpg

Not, not exactly. Wouxun does have an official part 95e FRS radio (805F). They actually have an 805 F, G, and M version. The F version is the exact same radio as the 805G, but power and bandwidth are theoretically limited to FCC FRS values. I suspect the software disallows using repeater input frequencies also.

One thing I learned about the 805G is that the firmware is not locked down like the rest of the line. The radio can transmit out of band, wide bandwidth, and at full power. Compliance is actually achieved at the software level, not the firmware, but I digress.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

17 minutes ago, mbrun said:

One thing I learned about the 805G is that the firmware is not locked down like the rest of the line. The radio can transmit out of band, wide bandwidth, and at full power. Compliance is actually achieved at the software level, not the firmware, but I digress.

But not with the Wouxun software, it appears.

But not with the Wouxun software, it appears.

Actually, yes. That is how I discovered it. Early on when I was getting familiar with the radio and I was using the software. I was trying to get the reset menu to appear and work, assuming it would do what the rest of the GMRS radio reset functions do. At one point in my playing I had no channels in the software. When I sent the sent to the radio it was suddenly in VFO mode, wide-band, full power, with the ability to Tx on all tunable frequencies in its supported portion of the UHF band. All I needed to do was scroll to the frequency of choice.

In another case I was trying to use an existing Chirp driver configure the channels. We all know it is a lot easier to use Chirp or RT Systems than the manufacturer software. In my experiments there, I discovered again that the firmware does not limit what the radio channels can do. Although I was using a non 805 driver for my experiments, I did discover that there were no firmware safeguards to prevent Tx outside the GMRS service. It could be configured at will.

Of course when I was playing with Chirp I was well aware I may brick the radio, as others should know as well.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Not Part 95 but you can get a commercial radio that transmits at reduced power levels and able to operate in the 400-470 range.  You can then program in the FRS channels at .5/2 watts as needed.  Helps you stay inline with FRS specs, minus the fixed antenna etc as TX/RX Channels. You can program the all the other 'out of band' channels as RX only. You can set the channels to scan or dual watch as you like from there.  The only one I know of off hand that can get down to .5 watts is the Vertex EVX-534/539 but I am sure there are many others.

If you decide to do this and end up with a Vertex product I am willing to lend a hand to help as you need. You can find them used on eBay for $50-100
https://www.twowayradiocenter.com/vertex-standard-evx-534/

They make decent stubby antennas for them to reduce to profile for your child.
https://www.radioparts.com/two-way-radios/accessories/antennas/portable-radio-antennas/motorola-atu-16ds?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqvaNBhDLARIsAH1Pq50EDtjPBCqV-qkHCfS2nBQE96So7fUGPmRj2jjwcUzYddv0Iv8tahcaAoWNEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

Not Part 95 but you can get a commercial radio that transmits at reduced power levels and able to operate in the 400-470 range.  You can then program in the FRS channels at .5/2 watts as needed.  Helps you stay inline with FRS specs, minus the fixed antenna etc as TX/RX Channels. You can program the all the other 'out of band' channels as RX only. You can set the channels to scan or dual watch as you like from there.  The only one I know of off hand that can get down to .5 watts is the Vertex EVX-534/539 but I am sure there are many others.

If you decide to do this and end up with a Vertex product I am willing to lend a hand to help as you need. You can find them used on eBay for $50-100

The 450-512 (g7) splits are capable of covering FRS/gmrs frequencies as well, if covering 70cm isn't necessary. They seem to be more plentiful, too. 2 of my 3 are g7, the other is g6 (400-470), and those two set me back $120 for the pair, with uprated Motorola batteries and a speaker mic.

23 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

The 450-512 (g7) splits are capable of covering FRS/gmrs frequencies as well, if covering 70cm isn't necessary. They seem to be more plentiful, too. 2 of my 3 are g7, the other is g6 (400-470), and those two set me back $120 for the pair, with uprated Motorola batteries and a speaker mic.

Yes. I use the 450-512 splits as I don't have use for HAM but it sounds like the OP wants to cross over the HAM...which ideally would also be 2 meters but I personally don't know any radios that can do that besides CCRs. 

I 'solved' that issue for me by just buying a VHF VX-231 for the few 2 meter channels I wanted to listen to....as well as MURS.

1 hour ago, WRFP399 said:

Yes. I use the 450-512 splits as I don't have use for HAM but it sounds like the OP wants to cross over the HAM...which ideally would also be 2 meters but I personally don't know any radios that can do that besides CCRs. 

I 'solved' that issue for me by just buying a VHF VX-231 for the few 2 meter channels I wanted to listen to....as well as MURS.

CCRs or big money gear (I believe some of the Motorola APX line covers both, all the way up to the 700/800 public safety range).

I did similar...it was a bit more than those g7 split ones, but I stumbled on a seller with some supposedly old stock VHF evx-539's and grabbed one...it's due any day now, depending on FedEx...happens to be the same one I got the vx4207 and the vx-p824 from

When my own son was younger, I used a Motorola FR50 so he could talk to other kids in the neighborhood, or me. To listen to VHF and UHF radio users, it came down to a cheap old Realistic scanner, one of the first that did not use crystals, and allowed for push button programming. He was able to listen to aircraft, some local amateur types on UHF, and yet had no capability to transmit back, requiring the need to identify himself. The scanner could scan, and also had weather band and weather alert capability. While the radio bug phased out over the years, this worked for the intended purpose while he was interested. And it was a cheap and simple solution, usable by a young child. 

On 12/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, MichaelLAX said:

I downloaded its programming software, and indeed, it can convert the repeater channels to simplex; unlike the Radioddity GM-30 (and its clone, the Pofung P15UV which I gave to my grandson), for which I cannot find a way to remove or modify the repeater channels.

KG-805G.jpg

@MichaelLAX

Still using WinXP? :D

@OP

Personally, I would get a used Vertex Standard/Motorola EVX-S24 for FRS. Its 2W on FM (also capable of DMR if you ever want to go that route), so its max power would be legal. And then, like its been already stated, I would pick a decent scanner for everything else...

Dual band, tri band, quad band CCRs are just that, all garbage CCR; and radio range will suck in FRS due to limited power and piss poor receivers... 

G.

9 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Why struggle with a "four on the floor" Dodge Challenger (sibling of the Jeep) when Grandma's Model-T gets me to the grocery store and back just fine!?! ?

You mean, why bother wasting your time with a garbage bag POS O.S. that not only looks horrible and confusing as heck, but also has the worst EULA ever written....?

I am still living the dream in Win7 here...  carry on!! ;)

G.

3 hours ago, gman1971 said:

You mean, why bother wasting your time with a garbage bag POS O.S. that not only looks horrible and confusing as heck, but also has the worst EULA ever written....?

I am still living the dream in Win7 here...  carry on!! ;)

G.

You're confusing XP with Vista!

XP is a dream to use: like a hot knife through butter!

No need to upgrade until I come across a CPS that requires me to use the free copy of Windows 10 that I installed in Parallels on Mac some time ago, but sits dormant!

56 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

No need to upgrade until I come across a CPS that requires me to use the free copy of Windows 10 that I installed in Parallels on Mac some time ago, but sits dormant!

I still do all my programming in an XP virtual machine running in Ubuntu!

54 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I was referring to Windows 10... I love XP...  Vista was a blunder of its time. but compared to Win10... its a success... nothing comes close to how much the management idiots at M$$ destroyed a perfectly good workflow, that worked great for nearly 30 years...  Win7 is the end of the line for me. I still run XP on a lot of my older machines. 

G.