Alamo City GMRS Community

• 1 month later...

I would think you would be able to hit at least one of the SA area repeaters, the guys have quite a network there. 

I'm using a Comet 712EFC base antenna tuned for GMRS and it seems to be great.

The closest repeater to me is Austin 725 at about 20 miles. Can't hit that one but I can skip over that one to the repeater NW of Austin at 40+miles. 

15 hours ago, HCCFCA said:

I would think you would be able to hit at least one of the SA area repeaters, the guys have quite a network there. 

I'm using a Comet 712EFC base antenna tuned for GMRS and it seems to be great.

The closest repeater to me is Austin 725 at about 20 miles. Can't hit that one but I can skip over that one to the repeater NW of Austin at 40+miles. 

My next purchase will be that same antenna. Currently I'm using a mag-mount dual-band on a cookie sheet in my house. Works great on 2M, nothing on 70CM or GMRS.

JG

On 1/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, jgillaspy said:

I'm' over near Sea World and can't hit anything. Looking to setup my own repeater at this point. Only traffic around here is a couple of kids and Chick-Fil-A. Looking for a good base antenna at this point as well.

JG

Try the Leon Valley 650 repeater. Play around with your antenna placement. Just moving it a few feet the right direct can make the difference when you are using less than ideal antenna setup. 

http://1510.node.gmrslive.com/supermon/index.php

On 1/19/2022 at 2:02 PM, HCCFCA said:

Wish I was a little further south to hit your Alamo City net. In Bastrop.

But I can hit the Flintrock rptr in Lakeway, 42 miles west - through or overtop of the Austin city buildings. 

...bob

Bob,

Keep an eye out for a San Marcos repeater soon.  And of course, if you are interested an setting up a Bastrop station, we are here to help. Sounds like you have the antenna already! 

15 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

Bob,

Keep an eye out for a San Marcos repeater soon.  And of course, if you are interested an setting up a Bastrop station, we are here to help. Sounds like you have the antenna already! 

Thanks Frank, I will definitely keep an eye out when she's up and running. Let us know. San Marcos would certainly be possible.

• 2 months later...

Up north in Copperas Cove, (Ft Hood) I can sometimes get Oglesby but nothing from the south. Austin has the local repeaters that don't reach far. I can sometimes get one when I visit family in Phlugerville.  But it don't quite reach Round Rock.  Going up to Shreveport when I lose Oglesby in about 45 minutes I start picking up Tyler, that gets me pretty close to Shreveport, But there is NOTHING there.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:48 PM, WRPQ991 said:

Up north in Copperas Cove, (Ft Hood) I can sometimes get Oglesby but nothing from the south. Austin has the local repeaters that don't reach far. I can sometimes get one when I visit family in Phlugerville.  But it don't quite reach Round Rock.  Going up to Shreveport when I lose Oglesby in about 45 minutes I start picking up Tyler, that gets me pretty close to Shreveport, But there is NOTHING there.

There's a repeater in Troy that has a lot of coverage.  I can hear it most of the way down 36 between Belton and Gatesville.  I start hearing it where 130 meets 35 but not fully clear until the 35 rest stop. 

Never had any luck with the Oglesby repeater. 

16 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

There's a repeater in Troy that has a lot of coverage.  I can hear it most of the way down 36 between Belton and Gatesville.  I start hearing it where 130 meets 35 but not fully clear until the 35 rest stop. 

I live just south of Copperas Cove and about a mile SE of Kempner. Good to know about Oglesby as well as the Troy repeater (which I didn't see anything about). What's the frequency pair and tones for Troy? I know the info for Oglesby, assuming the information listed in the Repeater section is current.

Warren Rowe/WRPC505; Kempner, Texas

On 4/5/2022 at 2:33 AM, WRPC505 said:

I live just south of Copperas Cove and about a mile SE of Kempner. Good to know about Oglesby as well as the Troy repeater (which I didn't see anything about). What's the frequency pair and tones for Troy? I know the info for Oglesby, assuming the information listed in the Repeater section is current.

Warren Rowe/WRPC505; Kempner, Texas

WRAL242 Troy 

TX 462.675  Tone 141.3

RX 467.675  Tone 141.3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 9:44 AM, FranktheTank said:

I work in Briggs and can hit the Troy repeater no problem! I start to lose it when I hit Liberty Hill on my way home, then I switch to the Flintrock Hill repeater outside of Austin

On 4/27/2022 at 10:42 PM, WRPQ991 said:

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find it. WRPC505,  i'm just off FM 2657 probably not too far away

I live near the Kempner VFW, just off Boys Ranch Road in a RV/mobile home park just off 2657 and behind Kempner Oaks Baptist Church. It's in a bit of a hole, but not too bad. I was able to reach the Troy repeater from that hole; that's nice coverage. I may look into a base setup with at least a J-pole as the antenna, but that's down the road a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 9:42 AM, FranktheTank said:

Larry,

We'd love to add a N.B. Repeaters to our group. Let us know if need or want any assistance getting set up. We've got a pretty good group with a lot of diversity in knowledge. 

Db8 is due here on the 26th, had to go with lmr600 vice 7/8 as they were out of stock.  Got a 43 push-up mast and will get it up end of may, then dig out the vertex and make sure it’s still working.  Let me get it up and running with some testing to see how it performs.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from another New Braunfels user...  I may be able to put up a repeater in Zorn, TX if needed (between San Marcos and Seguin on Highway 123).  Since ldcarson is handling New Braunfels, we shouldn't need anything else there (I "should" be able to hit Cibolo per the map, but I can't).

That's great news!  My repeater is up and running for testing.  I do think we are going to move the antenna higher.  I di not get the spacers needed to mount to the ROHN telescopic.  So the Antenna is connected to the 20-25ft part of the antenna with little space between it and the actual antenna.  While SWR is low, the distance is not very good, or it could be my location.  BUT in the next week or 2 am going to place it at the top of the mast.  Hope the skinny part of the rohn mast will hold the big DB408.  That is my biggest concern.  The mast is holding a small helium antenna, a Ubiquity 5G Wifi link, and the repeater antenna.  So going to move it around and see if getting it up about 8-12 ft higher helps.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:38 PM, WRTB621 said:

Greetings from another New Braunfels user...  I may be able to put up a repeater in Zorn, TX if needed (between San Marcos and Seguin on Highway 123).  Since ldcarson is handling New Braunfels, we shouldn't need anything else there (I "should" be able to hit Cibolo per the map, but I can't).

I haven't gotten around to getting the Cibolo 725 repeater antenna mounted on the roof so coverage isn't all that great.  That said, I think a repeater in Zorn would be great and help fill in some gaps from the LaVernia550, Cibolo, and hopefully soon, the New Braunfels 700.   

If you need help, send me a email wrkg475 at gmail. We've got a good group of knowledgeable folks that are always willing to lend a hand. 

Afternoon all!

just received my GMRS license call sign WRTE248. Just getting into GMRS, setup is nothing fancy just a UV-9G hand held. Would appreciate any help to get access to any repeaters and to be able to chat, and possibly help in an emergency situation! 

best regards

don

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

So I am in Mico.  Just far enough away to hit any of the connected repeaters from inside my house.  I can hit the Leon Valley repeater if I park in just the right spot on my property, just not inside. Is there a way to listen/talk on the HUB without hitting one of the repeaters? I will have my base station up and running this weekend, and hopefully be able to hit Leon Valley with it. (Bfang 50W with roof mounted Ed Fong).  We have the Medina repeater out here, but it's currently unable to connect to the internet.  So no joy on the HUB from here.