I am planning on getting a Comet antenna for my first base antenna but I'm not sure which one.

WRPH745

I am looking to get my first antenna for my base.  Comet antenna have been recommended several times.

The CX-333 was recommended and the Comet Original CA-712EFC.

The CX-333 is a triple band antenna for 2m /  1.25 m / 70 cm. 

The CA-712EFC is for 460 -470 MHz

I am brand new to all this.  I have my GMRS license and I am taking the test for Technician next week.

My area has a GMRS repeater which connects to The Midwest GMRS Repeater network.  It also has a 2 m repeater where the local Ham group has weekly on air meetings.

I spend most of my time on GMRS but once I get my Technician license I want to participate in the local Ham group.

There is a repeater on the 1.25 m band but I have not listened to it.  I do not have a radio for that band.

I also have heard the 6 m band is interesting.

I also found:

The Comet GP-15 is a triple band on 6 m / 2 m / 70 cm.

The Comet GP-6 is a double band on  2 m / 70 cm.

I know the best thing would be to get a GMRS antenna and an antenna that would cover the 2 meter band.  To keep down expense and only running one line into the house I would like to just get one antenna to cover both GMRS and the 2 meter band.  It is my understanding I cannot put a GMRS antenna and a 2 m antenna on the same mast.  If I could I would be tempted to get a separate antenna just for GMRS.

So I am leaning towards a double or triple band antenna and trying to pickup GMRS using the 70 cm band.  All the antennas listed have similar price points and similar specs for similar bands.

Is there any reason to get the double rather than the triple?

If I should go with the triple which triple?  At this point I don't have enough knowledge about 6 m or 1.25 m to know which way to go.

Thanks

I have a 333 at about 35 feet.  My nanoNVA says its tuned slightly better for 65cm than 2m.  As a simple matter of convience I am not using it on 1.25 right now, but the nanonva shows its tuned very well there as well.  If I recall, the readings were 1.27 on 2m, 1.1 on 1.25 and very close to 1.19 across the parts of 70cm and 65cm that I use

Comet CX-333 is not terribly expensive, but it's all relative, depends on one's budget. If you plan to be on 1.25m, sure, go for the tri-band. Otherwise, many of ham dual-band will cover 2m, 70cm and GMRS for less money.

I use Diamond X50NA, it works great on 2m and 70cm, and has acceptable SWR on GMRS band (below 1.8).

6m is a sort of monkey wrench here. 6m is more popular than 1.25m, but everything depends on local situation. SSB or CW on 6m would prefer horizontally-polarized antenna and a different rig. Local FM on 6m would be of vertical polarization, but still a different rig, from 2m/70cm/GMRS. There are transceivers that cover 6m, 2m, 70cm, and GMRS, but they are not legit in the eyes of FCC (for transmitting), and this tidbit might be important to you.

If your housing situation is one that will last for years, be sure to consider different operating plans for the future:

For example, maybe 220 MHz (1.25 meters) will become more active in your future and a tri-band antenna once is cheaper than a new additional antenna later.

That is what I did and although I still do not do 220 MHz all that often, I am glad I have that capability into the future.

I plan to get more active again on 6 meters (both FM and SSB) and HF and my antenna for those bands is a HyGain Vertical.  For years I spoke to Hams on HF who were horizontally polarized with a rotatable beam antenna and it always worked fine for me.  Maybe if I had a beam to switch to, they would hear me better, but it has always worked cross-polarization.

I used to use one rig for all: Yaesu FT-857d - 80 meters to 440 MHz, but now with my Anytone AT-779UV (Radioddity DB-20G), I use that rig for 2 meters, 70 cms and GMRS into my Comet CX-333

17 hours ago, WRPH745 said:

I have my GMRS license and I am taking the test for Technician next week.

Good luck on getting your ticket next week. Great to see you're expanding your horizons in the world of radio. 73

de WROA675/KN6SDM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 5:33 PM, WRPH745 said:

I also found:

The Comet GP-15 is a triple band on 6 m / 2 m / 70 cm.

The Comet GP-6 is a double band on  2 m / 70 cm.

I know the best thing would be to get a GMRS antenna and an antenna that would cover the 2 meter band.  To keep down expense and only running one line into the house I would like to just get one antenna to cover both GMRS and the 2 meter band.  It is my understanding I cannot put a GMRS antenna and a 2 m antenna on the same mast.  If I could I would be tempted to get a separate antenna just for GMRS.

So I am leaning towards a double or triple band antenna and trying to pickup GMRS using the 70 cm band.  All the antennas listed have similar price points and similar specs for similar bands.

Is there any reason to get the double rather than the triple?

If I should go with the triple which triple?  At this point I don't have enough knowledge about 6 m or 1.25 m to know which way to go.

I have a Comet SBB-15 mobile tri-band antenna (2m/70cm/6m) that I am trying to use as a base unit (camping, etc) utilizing a Tram 1465 mobile-to-base bracket.  The Tram bracket came with ~20" radials which work fine on 2m/70cm but not 6m.  I'm currently beginning work on cutting longer radials (first trying 1/8" aluminum rods at around 60") to use on 6m then run through an antenna analyzer to see if they'll work at all on 6m and, if so, whether they will on 2m/70cm as well.  I kind of doubt it, which then kicks me back into the possibility of taking two sets of radials along which is a real pain if I'm going to want to work anything beyond 6m.  I have a mobile in those bands, so I thought I'd try setting it up as this base, too, but it's feeling a little like a pipe dream at this point.