Programming a DB-20G using a Linux box

WRPH745

I've got my DB-20G and I am trying to connect to it using the software from Radioddity.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04.  The software is running under wine and everything except connecting to the radio seems fine.

A few of you mentioned you got the software running under Linux any suggestions?

Also is there anything I have to do with the radio but have it on?

Also I noticed in the software under Model it show three possible versions, DB20-GUV, DB20-GSU, and DB20-GSV.  How do I tell which one I have?

Thanks

3 hours ago, WRPH745 said:

I've got my DB-20G and I am trying to connect to it using the software from Radioddity.

I am running Ubuntu 20.04.  The software is running under wine and everything except connecting to the radio seems fine.

A few of you mentioned you got the software running under Linux any suggestions?

Also I noticed in the software under Model it show three possible versions, DB20-GUV, DB20-GSU, and DB20-GSV.  How do I tell which one I have?

Thanks

If you're unable to connect using the software under Wine, then I suspect it's a problem identifying or designating the COM port.

Do you know what COM port is assigned to the programming cable?

The commands below show how my computer is configured:

This command should show you how Linux identifies your cable (it will list the USB devices connected to your computer):

ls -al /dev/ttyU*

In my case, it showed /dev/ttyUSB0

This command should set /dev/ttyUSB0 to COM2 in Wine (you'll want to specify the port you wish to use - in my case, it's COM2):

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com2

If you already have an association with the COM port you wish to use, you can go into your Wine folder and delete it before running the above command.

You can find the associations in the /.wine/dosdevices/ folder located within your /home/ folder, though you'll probably need to enable "view hidden files" to find it.

As for the model, I have no idea what the differences are between those you mentioned. I run Anytone's version of the software, and it offers three similar choices, but for the AT779 radio. Mine is set for the UV option, which I'd recommend in your case, too. I suspect the (G)UV version is the UHF/VHF dual band model, while the others are single band UHF or VHF models.

I hope this helps. If not, please provide more detail about the issue(s) you're having and I'll see if I can help resolve them.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, WRPH745 said:

Of course, the included programing cable must be plugged into the socket where the microphone normally is connected, after you disconnect the microphone.

DB20-GUV; I believe, since it is both UHF and VHF. However, you should just accept what the default is already set to and not make a change here.

Once you can program from your computer, FIRST THING YOU DO is copy the default codeplug already in the radio and save it on your computer as a recognizable name, such as DEFAULT and the Date.

What is your firmware version (the number that comes up on the screen when you power on while holding down the V/M key)?

4 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

This command should show you how Linux identifies your cable (it will list the USB devices connected to your computer):

ls -al /dev/ttyU*

In my case, it showed /dev/ttyUSB0

This command should set /dev/ttyUSB0 to COM2 in Wine (you'll want to specify the port you wish to use - in my case, it's COM2):

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com2

I tried it no luck.

I am digging through some wine posts with comm errors and seeing what I can find.

Thanks

I remembered it mentioned related to other software, but some versions of Linux are protective of the ports, and require your username to be part of the "dialout" group. There's some instructions on the link, though related to other things via USB.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/133235/how-do-i-allow-non-root-access-to-ttyusb0

On a side note, I have the anytone version of the radio, but had no problem programming it with the radioddity software.