Local Repeater - not able to connect or hear traffic

WRPE740

Hello,

I work in San Luis Obispo, Ca and there is a repeater in town, when I try to add Rx/Tx codes 141.3 I don't hear anything or  have confidence I am connected.

There is also a NOAA tower in San Luis Obispo, and I can hear the weather loud and clear.

Any thoughts ?

I am using a Baofeng UV-9G

TH

28 minutes ago, WRPE740 said:

I am on GMRS Channel 21, frequency 462.700

Rx tone is off, Tx tone is 141.3

I sent an email to the repeater owner yesterday, waiting on a response.

TH.

Did you use the directions on pages 21 and 22 of the manual to program the offset so when you transmit, the transmitter shifts up to 467.7MHz and back to 462.7MHz on receive?  If not, that is going to be the issue.

55 minutes ago, WRPE740 said:

I am on GMRS Channel 21, frequency 462.700

Rx tone is off, Tx tone is 141.3

I sent an email to the repeater owner yesterday, waiting on a response.

TH.

Not 100% familiar with how the channels are configured on the uv-9g, but on both my wouxun and Btech, channel 21 is the simplex channel, while "rept21" is in #29, which has the correct offset for repeater usage preprogrammed

From the KG-935 (default)

Interesting to note the name "conflict", well sort of. Channel 29 is referred to (named) RPT (repeater) 21.  So it depends on what actual channel number you have selected.  Channel 21 is Simplex, and Channel 29 is the same, but your transmit is offset for repeater access.

935Defaults.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2022 at 3:58 PM, WRPE740 said:

Great information.  I will check my programming this evening.

I am still not sure why I don't receive very well, given that the repeater is here in town.  

Again, the NOAA reference from above, that I receive clearly.

T

If no one is talking then you won't 'receive'. Its hard when there isn't alot of radio traffic. You should be able to key up the radio on channel 29 and hear the repeater opening (an open carrier for a brief second after you release your PTT). It is recommended you broadcast your callsign when you do this so it isn't a random key up. when you use a repeater it uses 2 channels - one to receive your radio transmission and a second to rebroadcast and repeat it out to a larger coverage area using more power. 

Have you checked on here to see if there is any other active repeaters local to you that may have more radio traffic?