What to buy

WRPL668

Had to send back the Ocean 905G. It would appear it’s my doing. Now I’m going after a less expensive radio. I’ve narrowed it down to two radios. 
Either the GM30 or the Baoefeng uv9g. Of the two what do you recommend me purchasing?  Will wait for the next sale with Radioddity but they do them often.   Your opinion will help this newbie purchase my ext radio. 
thanks - bob

WRPL668

The UV9G is waterproof, if that matters for how you will be using the radio.  

What anyone recommends for you should be 100% dependent on what you plan to use the radio for, how you plan to use it, and what your preferences are - none of which you have shared - so anyone making a recommendation at this point would just be someone guessing what is right for you based on what is right for them.. 

Have both, my opinion which without knowing you or you knowing me is probably worthless, however, you asked:

I like the GM 30 a lot, carry it more than the 'Feng.   The 30 is "interesting" to program, but once you quickly learn it's quirks and the programming software (Windows), it just does what it is supposed to do.

Nothing wrong with the UV9G, probably has more capability than the 30, and programming options but... maybe some quality issues, receive isn't as nice, the IP67 is nice if you need weatherproofing, but the 30 uses accessories and kits that I can swap between radios, and just.... feel.

I have other Baofengs and other Radioddity radios, and Yaesu and Kenwood and and and....   as a newbie, you can't go wrong with either for the price - sorry you had issues with the 905G

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

you should be 100% dependent on what you plan to use the radio for, how you plan to use it, and what your preferences are - none of which you have shared

100% agree!

Do your homework before buying and do some serious thinking about how you intend to use the radio, lest you spend money on features and/or restrictions you don't need or want.  It is unfortunately easy, in a rush to get going, to spend money that you don't have to.

There is a large contingent of users on this Forum that use and recommend the Radioddity DB20-G (and its clones: Anytone AT-779UV and Retevis Ra-25).

While not a handheld per se, it is a mini-mobile type unit that will fit in the palm of your hand.

Features:

cigarette lighter plug for power

20 watts

Comes as GMRS, but easily opened to transmit on MURS, and 2 meters and 70 cms Ham

very efficient receiving and transmitting

$99 - $109 

Many of us have two: one in the car and one at home.

8 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

There is a large contingent of users on this Forum that use and recommend the Radioddity DB20-G (and its clones: Anytone AT-778UV and Retevis Ra-25).

Minor correction (I know it was a typo): AT-779uv is the gmrs certified Anytone. AT-778uv is a ham radio (slightly bigger, and a few more watts).

I have both and prefer the GM-30 over the UV9G. The UV9G requires a charging cradle to charge the battery. The GM-30 can be charged via a "C" port like your cell phone has, so charging it is convenient. Since the UV9G is water resistant, the K port takes its own proprietary cable. GM-30 uses the standard 2 prong K port for accessories and programing cable. Unless you need a water resistant radio, the GM-30 is a better choice IMO. 

Wow thanks people for your great suggestions. On the GM30 I saw a video on YouTube that the aerial can’t be changed to a better one. I just want a radio while I travel place to place.  I live in a kinda dead area so l have to drive to get some coms. 
Don’t want an expensive radio just sit while I’m home.   I also saw a problem with the belt clip. Might have been just that radio. 
Reading the past few answers here you all are suggesting the GM30 would be a good starting radio for me.   It’s also less expensive then the Ocean 905G. 
I really thank you all for your help this newbie. 
bob 

WRPL668

Acchtthually......  you can swap the aerial / antenna on the 30 - there is a tiny set screw, back it off until you can unscrew the rubber ducky - then swap around as needed.

Legally I think there is something about Type accepted GMRS, blah blah...   not saying you should, but you can.

22 minutes ago, WRPD494 said:

Acchtthually......  you can swap the aerial / antenna on the 30 - there is a tiny set screw, back it off until you can unscrew the rubber ducky - then swap around as needed.

Legally I think there is something about Type accepted GMRS, blah blah...   not saying you should, but you can.

GMRS permits detachable antennas, so if you want to connect to a different HT antenna or to an external antenna that's perfectly OK.

Well it looks like I’m gonna go for the GM30. Even if it’s a dead area where I live in New Jersey I do want a radio for when I travel. But where the Ocean was $120.00 the GM30 is almost a hundred buck less an has the same channels. 
I'm still gonna look for either a ham or GMRS club in my area. I don’t give up easily. 
thanks for your help. 
bob - WRPL668

On 3/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, WRPL668 said:

Wow thanks people for your great suggestions. On the GM30 I saw a video on YouTube that the aerial can’t be changed to a better one. I just want a radio while I travel place to place.  I live in a kinda dead area so l have to drive to get some coms. 
Don’t want an expensive radio just sit while I’m home.   I also saw a problem with the belt clip. Might have been just that radio. 
Reading the past few answers here you all are suggesting the GM30 would be a good starting radio for me.   It’s also less expensive then the Ocean 905G. 
I really thank you all for your help this newbie. 
bob 

WRPL668

The GM30 antenna can be changed, but there is a small (allen head) set screw that needs to be loosened first.

As for the belt clip, the stock one is a little flimsy, or at least it feels that way. A UV-5R or GT-3 belt clip is a good alternative, for a couple of dollars. I like and use the GT-3 belt clip personally.

One option you might consider over the GM30 is the Tidradio TD-H5. It comes in a two-pack with extra batteries and hand-held speaker mics for about twice the cost of the GM30 by itself. It is basically the same radio, just with different branding and very minor cosmetic changes. The TD-H5 works with the GM30 software, batteries, and other accessories.

Thanks for your help. Went on the Radioddity web site an saw both the GM30 an the UV9R exactally the same price. With the uv9r water an dust proof I went for that. Got a small discount which brought the price down to $40.00. 
if I’ve to leave the radio on the shelf while home don’t need to have an expensive one. 
saved the repeaters in my area so I’ll put them in when it arrives. 
Fingers crossed. 
bob -WRPL668