Problems with repeater set up

WRPQ926

Question

Howdy all, 

New to GMRS- i am trying to set up connection to repeater B2WR 650 https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4870.

My settings:

TX tone: 141.3

RX tone: 141.3

No offset

No channel direction (+ or-)

I cannot get a tail from this repeater, and no answer from anyone when i try to connect and ask for a radio check. Am i missing something, or just over looking something? This is happening to multiple repeaters so i am guessing its on my end.

thanks 

N

8 answers to this question

You're missing the offset - there has to be an offset..

On a "real" GMRS radio, the offset is automatic when you select the correct "Repeater Channel".. if you're using a UHF/ham radio, then you will have to put in a +5Mhz offset for the TX frequency.

What kind of radio are you using?

Are you sure the repeater is on and working. His update last month was this - 

Update: The repeater is live with limited RX/TX due to the fact that we are waiting for our antenna and tower assaignment.  Please note specifications may change as we get closer to a launch date. Repeater sponsered by www.Buy2wayradios.com"

On 3/23/2022 at 9:19 PM, OffRoaderX said:

You're missing the offset - there has to be an offset..

On a "real" GMRS radio, the offset is automatic when you select the correct "Repeater Channel".. if you're using a UHF/ham radio, then you will have to put in a +5Mhz offset for the TX frequency.

What kind of radio are you using?

thanks. I just read that GMRS is standard +. I have 3 at the moment and looking for my next which will be mobile rig, and i go for my ham test Friday. Of course the Baofeng Uv5r- Wouxun KG UV9G pro and Wouxun 9d. 

On 3/24/2022 at 6:09 AM, gortex2 said:

Are you sure the repeater is on and working. His update last month was this - 

Update: The repeater is live with limited RX/TX due to the fact that we are waiting for our antenna and tower assaignment.  Please note specifications may change as we get closer to a launch date. Repeater sponsered by www.Buy2wayradios.com"

I have heard comms on there and when i try to get a tail or reply, nothing. I checked my settings and reset everything to above and still no tail. I reached out to the repeater owner, no response yet. Does it matter the strength of the repeater to the strength of the radio? 2 watt vs.....?

On 3/30/2022 at 7:15 AM, WRPQ926 said:

I have heard comms on there and when i try to get a tail or reply, nothing. I checked my settings and reset everything to above and still no tail. I reached out to the repeater owner, no response yet. Does it matter the strength of the repeater to the strength of the radio? 2 watt vs.....?

Is it possible that what you heard wasn't the repeater, but rather simplex traffic on the same frequency? That is one reason why you might not hear a tail.