GMRS HT Recomendation

WRPCinci

New here, first post, hoping the experts can point me in the right direction. I'm in need of a GMRS or FRS handheld. I'm not searching for "the best" radio, I'm simply looking for a small form factor, relatively cheap, usb rechargeable (usb-c hopefully) radio that I can give to my kids for hiking. Something that's relatively cheap so that when they inevitably lose it, I'm not going to worry too much.

My short list:

Midland x-talker - My current set, functionality it's fine, but a PIA having to deal with batteries.

Midland GXT - Looks ok, but really want to get away from charging docks. Less gear to get lost in the shuffle is a good thing!

Baofeng G11s - These are otherwise awesome, but they are too big and heavy! Simply won't be comfortable for young kids to tote these around on a hike.

TIDRADIO TD-H5 - Looks like a contender, good value, USB C, has a key lock out so I can set it up and not worry about the kids pushing buttons and messing it up. Not sure if this is small enough to carry around.

Radioddity FS-T1 FRS - Like the form factor, bummed it's FRS and not GMRS. Also bonus points for USBc chargeable.

How am I doing, missing anything else to look at? Is this a fair summary?

For what you are looking for, I like the Midland GXT 1000’s.  They are GMRS radios, but only because of the power output. The antennas are not removable, so one thing less for kids to play with.  Not repeater capable which makes the radios less complicated. 

I have two.  The power output on mine is 3.8 watts using the supplied rechargeable batteries, which you and I both don’t like.  These batteries are the equivalent of 3 AA batteries.  However, you can use alkaline batteries without buying an adapter.  When you remove the rechargeable battery pack , you will see receptacles for 4 AA alkaline.  This increase in batteries gives my radios a power boost:  one to 4.8 watts and the other to 5.1 watts. 

At about $90 for two, I think you might like them. 

By the way, I have been a ham for over 40 years, but a GMRS op for only just over 1 year.  So, although I know radios really well,  GMRS is fairly new to me and I can’t comment on other radios for you. 

welcome to the clus!

Hey, thanks!  I was considering the GXTs, but I'm really hoping to eliminate carrying extra batteries -- but maybe that's a fair compromise given everything else.

6 hours ago, Roadtrekker said:

For what you are looking for, I like the Midland GXT 1000’s.  They are GMRS radios, but only because of the power output. The antennas are not removable, so one thing less for kids to play with.  Not repeater capable which makes the radios less complicated. 

I have two.  The power output on mine is 3.8 watts using the supplied rechargeable batteries, which you and I both don’t like.  These batteries are the equivalent of 3 AA batteries.  However, you can use alkaline batteries without buying an adapter.  When you remove the rechargeable battery pack , you will see receptacles for 4 AA alkaline.  This increase in batteries gives my radios a power boost:  one to 4.8 watts and the other to 5.1 watts. 

At about $90 for two, I think you might like them. 

By the way, I have been a ham for over 40 years, but a GMRS op for only just over 1 year.  So, although I know radios really well,  GMRS is fairly new to me and I can’t comment on other radios for you. 

welcome to the clus!

You could use the Wouxun KG-805G. The newer model is the Wouxun KG-905G. The radio is repeater capable. It also is pretty easy to program. I like the fact that this radio has the capability of storing many different channels in its configuration. In the link below I have illustrated a unusual split tone split frequency used between two of these radios.

https://greyscale.zone/split-frequency-and-tone-operation-on-gmrs.html

I have used the Wouxun KG-805G during skiing trips and bike rides. They radio has a mic and headphone port that allows for hands free operation. For example, with skiing, you can use a motorcycle headset inside of your helmet, and have a push to talk button wrapped around a glove. We did that a few weeks ago, and it allowed us to talk to each other while skiing. We could tell each other which branch of a ski path to take if we were separated from each other while skiing.

You can also find great use in hiking in areas where there is no cell service.

The radio does not fit the price point that you mention, but it makes up for it with lots of options.

All are good choices. Baofeng UV-5R would be a quick choice at $30. You could change the power level from low to high and get 5 watts. You could change setting from narrow band to wide band and get a better coverage area. But to do that you'd have to have your GMRS license. The license will cover everyone in your immediate family. More power means you would have a wider coverage area. Baofeng also has a UV-9G for $40. It is IP-67 rated and is waterproof. Plus, it is FCC Part 95E & Part 15B certified. Whereas the Baofeng UV-5R is not.

Thanks, Linus. You're correct this radio is a bit too expensive to get for the kids, but I definitely like the use case here as it's always hard to keep the group together on the slopes. I may pick one up for myself just for this reason!

On 4/15/2022 at 1:03 PM, Linus said:

You could use the Wouxun KG-805G. The newer model is the Wouxun KG-905G. The radio is repeater capable. It also is pretty easy to program. I like the fact that this radio has the capability of storing many different channels in its configuration. In the link below I have illustrated a unusual split tone split frequency used between two of these radios.

https://greyscale.zone/split-frequency-and-tone-operation-on-gmrs.html

I have used the Wouxun KG-805G during skiing trips and bike rides. They radio has a mic and headphone port that allows for hands free operation. For example, with skiing, you can use a motorcycle headset inside of your helmet, and have a push to talk button wrapped around a glove. We did that a few weeks ago, and it allowed us to talk to each other while skiing. We could tell each other which branch of a ski path to take if we were separated from each other while skiing.

You can also find great use in hiking in areas where there is no cell service.

The radio does not fit the price point that you mention, but it makes up for it with lots of options.

Hey 374! Man, that's the problem with asking these types of questions. You get all these awesome options to try and end up buying a lot more. I think I'll pick up a pair of 5Rs for the wife and myself to have. ?

21 hours ago, WRMN374 said:

All are good choices. Baofeng UV-5R would be a quick choice at $30. You could change the power level from low to high and get 5 watts. You could change setting from narrow band to wide band and get a better coverage area. But to do that you'd have to have your GMRS license. The license will cover everyone in your immediate family. More power means you would have a wider coverage area. Baofeng also has a UV-9G for $40. It is IP-67 rated and is waterproof. Plus, it is FCC Part 95E & Part 15B certified. Whereas the Baofeng UV-5R is not.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:41 PM, WRMN374 said:

The UV-5R fits the bill, except it's not type certified for GMRS or FRS use, and it doesn't offer USB charging. There is another model that is type accepted, and that's the UV-5G/UV-5X GMRS radio. It looks nearly identical and has the same form factor. As you might have already figured, there are two different names for this model: UV-5G and UV-5X GMRS. Unfortunately, there is also another model called UV-5X that is not a GMRS radio, and it has a different form factor. If you stick to the GMRS model that looks like a UV-5R, you'd be fine.

Anyway, these radios cost about $60/pair, and offer the low cost and small form factor desired by the OP. They do require charging cradles, but once charged, they last quite a long time on the included battery. There are also spare battery options available, including high capacity batteries for even longer run time. In addition, there are multiple antenna options available should you decide to upgrade, but beware that these radios require an SMA male antenna as opposed to the UV-5R's SMA female antenna. These radios also offer the option of Chirp programmability in case that's needed or desired.

The Tidradio TD-H5 (also sold as the Radioddity GM-30 and Pofung P15UV) offers similar functionality, but also offers USB-C charging. It is a little larger than the UV-5 series, at about 1/2" longer, and perhaps up to 1/8" thicker. Overall, it's not a much larger radio, but it feels a little bigger. As of now, it is not Chrip programmable, so to program it requires use of the front panel (for some functions) or the factory software.

The G11S (aka Pofung P11UV or Retevis RB27) may be another good option, although I haven't ever used or even seen one. In a quick search, I was unable to find the actual radio dimensions, so I can't compare the form factor. The simplicity of the radio may be better for kids, though, since it doesn't have the full front panel.

Something else to keep in mind is that the "bubble pack" radios from Midland and others are not compatible with repeater use. While this may not be a consideration at this time, you may wish to use a repeater in the future to increase your coverage area. The UV-5 series, TD-H5, and G11S radios are all capable of working with a repeater. This is just something to consider for the future.

Any of the radios mentioned would be fine for the intended purpose. I'm not a fan of the bubble pack radios because their battery systems aren't very good, and they don't offer the same functionality of other similarly priced GMRS radios like the UV-5G/UV-5X GMRS, TD-H5, or G11S.

31 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

The UV-5R fits the bill, except it's not type certified for GMRS or FRS use, and it doesn't offer USB charging. There is another model that is type accepted, and that's the UV-5G/UV-5X GMRS radio. It looks nearly identical and has the same form factor. As you might have already figured, there are two different names for this model: UV-5G and UV-5X GMRS. Unfortunately, there is also another model called UV-5X that is not a GMRS radio, and it has a different form factor. If you stick to the GMRS model that looks like a UV-5R, you'd be fine.

Anyway, these radios cost about $60/pair, and offer the low cost and small form factor desired by the OP. They do require charging cradles, but once charged, they last quite a long time on the included battery. There are also spare battery options available, including high capacity batteries for even longer run time. In addition, there are multiple antenna options available should you decide to upgrade, but beware that these radios require an SMA male antenna as opposed to the UV-5R's SMA female antenna. These radios also offer the option of Chirp programmability in case that's needed or ddesired

One minor addition: while the uv5r (and other radios in the same form factor don't natively support USB charging, the high capacity (3800mAh) batteries do have a barrel plug, and BTech sells a USB charging pigtail that can charge the battery via that plug. https://baofengtech.com/product/bt-1013/

7 hours ago, PartsMan said:
On 4/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, WyoJoe said:

The Tidradio TD-H5 (also sold as the Radioddity GM-30 and Pofung P15UV) offers similar functionality, but also offers USB-C charging. It is a little larger than the UV-5 series, at about 1/2" longer, and perhaps up to 1/8" thicker. Overall, it's not a much larger radio, but it feels a little bigger. As of now, it is not Chrip programmable, so to program it requires use of the front panel (for some functions) or the factory software.

On 4/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, WRPCinci said:

New here, first post, hoping the experts can point me in the right direction. I'm in need of a GMRS or FRS handheld. I'm not searching for "the best" radio, I'm simply looking for a small form factor, relatively cheap, usb rechargeable (usb-c hopefully) radio that I can give to my kids for hiking. Something that's relatively cheap so that when they inevitably lose it, I'm not going to worry too much.

My short list:

Midland x-talker - My current set, functionality it's fine, but a PIA having to deal with batteries.

Midland GXT - Looks ok, but really want to get away from charging docks. Less gear to get lost in the shuffle is a good thing!

Baofeng G11s - These are otherwise awesome, but they are too big and heavy! Simply won't be comfortable for young kids to tote these around on a hike.

TIDRADIO TD-H5 - Looks like a contender, good value, USB C, has a key lock out so I can set it up and not worry about the kids pushing buttons and messing it up. Not sure if this is small enough to carry around.

Radioddity FS-T1 FRS - Like the form factor, bummed it's FRS and not GMRS. Also bonus points for USBc chargeable.

How am I doing, missing anything else to look at? Is this a fair summary?

I use the RB27 handhelds for exactly this purpose... I have dropped them a few times and they survived perfectly.  I got them for the orange stand out color and the USB-C charging on the fly...  They are programmable by software and batteries last very long

I think that an FRS radio might serve your needs just as well as a GMRS radio. I use several Midland and Retevis water proof FRS radios when I take groups out on river and hiking trips, and they are usually good for a mile or so. They have proven to be rugged and “kid proof”. They aren’t the cheapest radios on the market, but they have served me well. They would work well on a bike, as well. I have gotten soaked on more than a few rides. Water proof is good!

They might be over-kill for casual use, so you might want to look at a Retevis 49 or something similar. Or you can always check out MURS radios. I like their ability to use mag mount antennas when using them for car-to- car communications. For short range work either would be just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a CCR purchasing habit which, until I'm broken of it, I'll likely keep buying Wouxun.  This includes GMRS, MURS, and ham HT's.  A large part of this reasoning is that I have their programming cables, and the software is readily and easily available from my preferred vendor (BuyTwoWayRadios.com).  I'd offer that this may make your life easier if you broaden beyond GMRS.  Good luck.