Volunteering - Mobile/HT & Jeep Lighting

marcspaz

I've shared on a few occasions that I do volunteer work using amateur radio to help out.  The other day I did some volunteer work with the Marines, supporting the Marine Corps Marathon Historic Half Marathon. 

Part of what I did for the marathon is sweep the course to make sure everyone was clear and safe.  I know I have shared pictures of my radio setup before, but I also have emergency lighting.  Since I work with DOD as well as law enforcement and other emergency services, I can legally run yellow and white strobes while assisting the served agency.  Unfortunately I was way too busy to shoot any pictures or video while I as working, but when I got home I popped a couple photos and a quick video of the Jeep with the lights going.

Thanks to the repeater in my Jeep, I was able to run my HT most of the day.  It was a really good time.

Does anyone else volunteer?  Any pics or video you want to share?

Me.thumb.jpg.5eaf04d02c5de7ee993b4e1e3b27c496.jpg        WristBand.thumb.jpg.61455e09cd557dc5818c5f387c45bb61.jpg

Radio.thumb.jpg.23162f061a0795cf52f465b3d85b3b94.jpg

110297714_FacePlateFront1.thumb.jpg.a209c22eefe895fe5348da9733fea9e4.jpg

Been doing Fire/EMS and Search and Rescue for over 25 years. To be honest I enjoy fire/ems, but I really like Search and Rescue (Wildland). I use radios much more with SAR as well as ICS and other tasks. Been involved in some large scale incidents and at one point was looking to be more involved but work moved me to VA and the area I am in SAR is a joke. Its sad as alot of training in NY came from VA and they were in high regard. Anyway I'm still a life member in NY and go up quarterly for SAR training. Dont have picks right now of my JT, but run the APX 8500, FTM400 and have both a 275 and CMX760 I can swap in when needed. Been meaning to get some lights on it but time has not permitted. 

Our JK does have dash lights, APX8500 and Kenwood 700 with both the 275 and CMX also. 

Work truck has multiple APX8500's, 7500's and a CMX and has lighting. 

PS - Like your setup in the JT on lights. I need to find a decent package for mine. 

@gortex2 that's awesome that you have so much time in. There are not many people I have met that stay that dedicated for that long.

Stinks to hear SAR in your area is lacking. That is such an important role.  Honestly, the last SAR/USAR training I have done was over a decade ago and the actual use was almost 21 years ago.  About 3 days of rescue and about 3 weeks of recovery.  I hope I never have to use those skills again, but with the weather we get, we should still be training. 

The JT and JK sound like they are decked out very well.  If you ever do any offloading and want to make a weekend trip to Rausch, AOAA, Uwharrie, etc..  drop me a note. I am a member of a few clubs and we do a group trip at least monthly. 

I use a Z Automotive Tazer to control my factory lights, auto park, and some other features. All of the commercial lights came from LED Outfitters in NY.  I have been using their hardware for about 5 years and I am very happy with them.

23 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

Working at least 2 events this summer. Both are bike events through the mountains of western NC.

That's awesome!  Do you use Ham or GMRS to support events?  Ham is really popular around here, but occasionally I see REACT and a few others use FRS/GMRS.

I love working the bike events.  We have one coming up soon.  100K fund raiser for Willing Warriors.  Can't wait for that one.

@gortex2 I really need to get to TN.  Between the Tunnels and Winrock, I am missing out on a lot.  I have never been to a JJ event.  They look fun, but always seem so crowded and I have trouble justifying the money, when I can wheel the same place outside of JJ either free or really inexpensive. 

What do you have done to the JT?  I have a Metalcloak 3.5" True Dual suspension, Adam's drive shafts, Fusion 4x4 2.5 ton AL steering and some 37" Mickey Thompson ATZ's.  Working with a local shop to build some custom East Coast Dana 60's for the front and back, with 5.13's and Ox lockers.  Once the 60's are in, I am going to either a 40" or 42" tire.

1 hour ago, marcspaz said:

That's awesome!  Do you use Ham or GMRS to support events?  Ham is really popular around here, but occasionally I see REACT and a few others use FRS/GMRS.

I love working the bike events.  We have one coming up soon.  100K fund raiser for Willing Warriors.  Can't wait for that one.

We're using 2 meters on both events but I'll have F/GMRS available as well.