MicroMobile® MXTA25 3dB Gain Ghost Antenna

moonpup

Question

I'm trying out this antenna on my Jeep and when checking the SWR on it, it's 2.4 to 1 across the GMRS UHF range. Obviously you can't 'trim' this antenna :) so does anyone have experience with this antenna? Is that a typical SWR for these? I've also tried different antenna cables and the reading stays the same. I'm wondering if I should ask Midland for a replacement.

EDIT: I also have the Midland 6db gain antenna and the SWR is fine on that one. About 1.7 on 462.xxx and 1.4 on 467.xxx

6 answers to this question

I have tested several of these and they all have a fairly high (2.0-3.0) SWR.  Based on my testing and on the results of several friends that use them (on Jeeps) they work fairly well.. But not nearly as well as that 6db Midland (which I have on my Jeep)..  Many times my friend right behind me using his Midland Ghost can't hear someone that I can hear perfectly fine, and/or they cant hear him, but they can hear me.

Its a decent antenna for what it is.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, moonpup said:

I'm trying out this antenna on my Jeep and when checking the SWR on it, it's 2.4 to 1 across the GMRS UHF range. Obviously you can't 'trim' this antenna :) so does anyone have experience with this antenna? Is that a typical SWR for these? I've also tried different antenna cables and the reading stays the same. I'm wondering if I should ask Midland for a replacement.

EDIT: I also have the Midland 6db gain antenna and the SWR is fine on that one. About 1.7 on 462.xxx and 1.4 on 467.xxx

All I can say is I drove down to the Dayton Hamvention with a couple buddies. One drove his truck alone since he need to leave before the other two of us planed. We used GMRS channel 20 on the ride down since he didn’t have his Ham license, just the GMRS license. 

Anyway he had one of those ghost antennas mounted on the front hood up by the windshield. I had a simple 1/4 wave magnet mount on the roof of my buddies car connected to a 4 watt HT. The ghost antenna couldn’t reach more than a mile or two, and that was running around 40 to 50 watts using a mobile radio. My buddy driving the truck commented before we started the drive down that’s been his experience with it, very poor range.

5 hours ago, Lscott said:

Anyway he had one of those ghost antennas mounted on the front hood up by the windshield. 

OOC, where was his truck in relation to you? If he was in front of you then the body of the truck would affect the transmission range because of the antenna placement.