BTech GMRS-V2 squelch setup in CHIRP?

WRQJ683

Question

Hey all-

So I read that Baofeng radios need to have the squelch settings adjusted in CHIRP. So, I found an article that told me how to do it, and what to adjust each level to, so I went in and did it per the instructions. I uploaded back to the radio, and out of curiosity, I downloaded back from the radio, and the squelch settings have gone back to where they were originally. I've tried several times to get them to stick, but every time I pull down from the radio into CHIRP, those squelch settings are back at 0-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30. How can I get these settings to stick at 0-2-20-30-50-65-75-85-95-105?

Needless to say, I'm fairly new to GMRS, so any advice that any of you pros can provide will be much appreciated!

18 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, Mikeam said:

You may have to save the downloaded from the radio to update your file then it should be what you changed!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I did what you're suggesting though, let me make sure. I first downloaded the factory image from the radio, and I set up my local repeaters, then uploaded it back to the radio. Then I learned about the squelch thing, so I downloaded my file from my radio again, made the changes to the squelch, and saved and re-uploaded that file. After that, I downloaded the file from the radio again and it had gone back to the original squelch settings. It holds all of my repeater settings, but for some reason it won't hold the squelch settings. I can download the file, make the changes, and upload it back to the radio over and over. Every time I download the file back from the radio, it's gone back to the old squelch settings.

13 hours ago, kerstuff said:

Which Baofeng? Also you must put your radio in Frequency Mode. Turn the volume (after cable is connected) too full and back off a little. Then upload your file to the radio.

Thanks, I'll give this a try today. I hadn't heard that the radio had to be in Frequency mode. 

21 hours ago, kerstuff said:

Which Baofeng? Also you must put your radio in Frequency Mode. Turn the volume (after cable is connected) too full and back off a little. Then upload your file to the radio.

As I stated in the original post, it's a BTech GMRS-V2.

Thanks again for the suggestion, but my radio still doesn't hold the squelch settings. No matter what I do before uploading the settings to the radio, when I download back from the radio, the squelch settings are back to 0-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30.

Anyone else have a suggestion? 

No problem at all. Yes, it seems to work just fine on my UV-9G, but for some reason it doesn't work on the GMRS-V2. Maybe I just need to use this as a sign to upgrade to a higher end radio or two. Thanks again for your advice, I appreciate you!

On 6/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, kerstuff said:

Interesting, I have never had to do this.  I just turn on the radio and the upload the CHIRP file to the radio.  Seems to work for my UV-5R and UV-9G.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:51 PM, kerstuff said:

... you must put your radio in Frequency Mode. Turn the volume (after cable is connected) too full and back off a little. Then upload your file to the radio.

No, you dont.. The steps are:

1. Turn radio ON
  2. Set volume at around and least 50%
  3. Upload file to radio

1 hour ago, jwilkers said:

OK.... The CHIRP developer is on it and has a test patch.

It is located in: https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/9933

The test file must be downloaded, then loaded into CHIRP in its developer mode.

Um, I'm very new to CHIRP, and have no idea how to complete this process. Have you tried this, and did it work? If so, I will try to dig deeper and try to figure it out.

Thanks for doing the footwork! ?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out, and IT WORKED! Thank you so much for your help with this, and if you report back to CHIRP, you can report that the fix worked perfectly for me!

13 hours ago, jwilkers said:

CHIRP will be updated overnight and tomorrow's build will have the patch included, so loading the patch manually won't be necessary.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

Great! Thank you again!