Licensee communication

WRQJ368

You can talk with ANYONE who holds a valid GMRS license.

Plus, Immediate family members (the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws) may do the same.

1 hour ago, WRQJ368 said:

Can one GMRS Licensee talk to ANOTHER different GMRS Licensee or is it for your immediate family only.  For example can ABCD1245 talk to ABCD1333?

To be technically accurate, anyone who is licensed and their family members are licensed to transmit. Anyone can listen. 
So yes, you can transmit to anyone and if they’re covered by someone’s license they can transmit back to you. 

15 hours ago, WRQJ368 said:

Can one GMRS Licensee talk to ANOTHER different GMRS Licensee or is it for your immediate family only.  For example can ABCD1245 talk to ABCD1333?

Recommend you access the FCC rules: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E (use the print/pdf button to get a local copy). Relevant sections (emphasis is mine)

§ 95.1731 Permissible GMRS uses.

The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

§ 95.1705 Individual licenses required; eligibility; who may operate; cooperative use.

<SNIP>

(b) Individual licensee responsibility. The holder of an individual license to operate GMRS stations is responsible at all times for the proper operation of the stations in compliance with all applicable rules in this part.

(c) Individuals who may operate a GMRS station. This paragraph establishes who may operate a GMRS station under the authority of an individual license.

(1) Any individual who holds an individual license may operate his or her GMRS stations.

(2) Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

(3) Any individual who holds an individual license may allow anyone to operate his or her GMRS station if necessary to communicate an emergency message.

<SNIP>

(d) Individual licensee duties. The holder of an individual license:

(1) Shall determine specifically which individuals, including family members, are allowed to operate (i.e., exercise operational control over) its GMRS station(s) (see paragraph (c) of this section);

<SNIP>

Note that, while "immediate family members" may operate using your license, YOU are still responsible for HOW they behave when doing so.

Decades ago, there was a further restriction... It was "family members who resided in the same household as the licensee"; the current rules, taken literally, means I could allow my nieces in Kalamazoo and Allegan to operate under my license, even though I'm living 15 miles east of Grand Rapids and would have no way of monitoring them. Back then, the intent WAS for use within families (or businesses -- what are now referred to as grandfathered non-individual licenses) such as a large farm, with very rare licensee to licensee cross-over (base stations were not allowed to contact other base stations!).

95.1705 (b) (1) seems rather silly... Are there any radio services where the holder of a station license is NOT permitted to operate their station? (Granted, there are services which separate station and operator licenses -- I think primarily broadcast services; the person ensuring that the station transmitter is within spec, and making power/antenna changes [AM radio has stations that have to change power or antenna directivity at sunset/sunrise] is licensed separately).

@KAF6045 Tahoe’s are very good points.  I look at the “family use” as enabling me to have a family get together with all the types of family relationships listed and hand my relatives gmrs radios for use when we’re together (so I am in control - at least as much as possible).

I don’t see it as a license that allows me to send a pair of GMRS radios to my grandkids in another state for them to use on my license. I think it should be obvious that I could not live up to my obligations as the responsible license holder in that case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Noob here. Ok so I have been reading more and more of these forums and well I have a question. Umm why so serious??? Am I missing something? I keep reading about people being fined and black suvs with federal agents coming to your home etc etc. I’m just not getting why everybody is taking this so serious. I am really interested in communications and want to be involved with this and talk to people, but at the same time it’s kinda like how can I if everybody is terrified of even using the system that is in place. Please don’t misunderstand me I understand about being an adult and respectful to each other, but I want to talk to my friends and family and make friends and practice more with the radios and understanding them and how they work buy actually using them. If I am missing something or not fully comprehending the seriousness in this please correct me. Like I said in another post I understand not interfering with first responders and such as that, but I mean come on lol. Short of interference with police and medical, what is the big deal? Again, I am not advocating for people to go over radio and act like complete fools, but even if they did on an open non emergency channel why does it matter? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject. 

"some people" have nothing else to do in their life, so they make their hobby extra-serious.  All that talk of fines and federal agents coming to your house is (99.99% of the time) BS, usually spread by sad, little people..

The normal people here just want to talk to their friends.. and have better things to do with their time than spreading fairy-tales..

Me personally, I won't publicly condone rule violations.  That's just stupid, for an unfathomable amount of reasons.

Also, if someone asks about the rules, I'll genuinely try to provide a good/correct answer.

Beyond that... I really don't care who does what. I just like to argue on the interwebz when I'm bored.

Hi. Noob here. Ok so I have been reading more and more of these forums and well I have a question. Umm why so serious??? Am I missing something? I keep reading about people being fined and black suvs with federal agents coming to your home etc etc. I’m just not getting why everybody is taking this so serious. I am really interested in communications and want to be involved with this and talk to people, but at the same time it’s kinda like how can I if everybody is terrified of even using the system that is in place. Please don’t misunderstand me I understand about being an adult and respectful to each other, but I want to talk to my friends and family and make friends and practice more with the radios and understanding them and how they work buy actually using them. If I am missing something or not fully comprehending the seriousness in this please correct me. Like I said in another post I understand not interfering with first responders and such as that, but I mean come on lol. Short of interference with police and medical, what is the big deal? Again, I am not advocating for people to go over radio and act like complete fools, but even if they did on an open non emergency channel why does it matter? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject. 
As was said it's not that bad. Sad GMRS operators try to make it more than it is to pump up their importance. I just, out of curiosity, checked the number of GMRS licenses in my county, 37!! Yes 37 whopping people, wanna guess we have more lawless heathens than that using GMRS? OMG what should we do?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for a group of overly serious GMRS team members to show up at my door to tell me I didn't properly use my radio for a few minutes four months ago.  I can't wait to answer my door wearing nothing but underwear and an AR-15 hahahaha
LOL. One time I was just finishing working on my SBR when who knocks on the door but a JW. The look on their face was priceless.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk