Using CHIRP to enter repeater frequency?

WRTY337

Question

Hi all. total new person here. I see when I look up an open repeater on here it has an input tone and output tone. Could someone show me a screenshot of the CHIRP software of how/where the input and output tones would be in the chirp program if the tones were different? Also do you need to enter both if they are different if you are willing to hear everything and just want to make sure you can transmit to the repeater? I saw mixed reviews that some say don't enter one of them to be safe. Thanks

12 answers to this question

You can't put the number in both unless you set it to cross, which really isn't needed. 

If you only want to hear repeater traffic, just set the type to TSQL and add the number to the ToneSQL field.  If you want to be able to hear everyone on the channel, including simplex operators, set the type to Tone and put the number in the Tone field.

Repeaters use two frequencies, one for receive and the second for transmit. The repeater's transmit frequency is your radio's receive frequency in the 462 MHz range. The repeater's receive frequency is your radio's transmit frequency which is 5 MHz higher than the receive frequency or, in the 467 MHz range. 

Chirp allows you to set both your radios transmit and receive code independently. Chirp also allows you to specify is the tones are independent where only the transmit tone is used (TONE), transmit and receive being the same (TSQL) or both codes being different (CROSS). As almost all repeaters don't use digital codes, I won't go into them, but their use is similar.

From top to bottom...

- Open the repeater, but hear everyone. Doesn't matter if the repeater is running splits/etc., you will still hear it and everyone else.

- To open the repeater and only hear the repeater or simplex stations with the transmit tone set.

- Running "Splits" to open the repeater with one tone and only hear the repeater output or simplex stations running a different tone than the input tone. (*not all radio models and firmware versions support this mode.)

3Samples.JPG.7412212fee4110b4f15a75b57436c13a.JPG

1 hour ago, WRQC340 said:

When you say open the repeater, you mean to  TX using it to extend your range. 

Yes.

1 hour ago, WRQC340 said:

I set to TONE and CHIRP puts it in the Tone column automatically. Right?

Correct.  If Tone is selected, it will automatically select the correct column and put a value in it.  Simply change it to the correct tone for the repeater you wish to access.

Just trying to understand this, so if the input and output tones are the same, you put the tone mode setting to TSQL, does it matter where you put the actual tone in? The Input or output? I tried programming the other night on a Baofeng, and it wouldn't keep but one or the other, not both. Sorry if the is a repeat question.

9 hours ago, Hitdogg said:

Just trying to understand this, so if the input and output tones are the same, you put the tone mode setting to TSQL, does it matter where you put the actual tone in? The Input or output? I tried programming the other night on a Baofeng, and it wouldn't keep but one or the other, not both. Sorry if the is a repeat question.

The behavior of CHIRP is that only one column can have a tone set (UNLESS you have "cross" mode selected, which most other radios would call "split tones"). TONE is "send only" and uses the first column (as I recall). TSQL is "send AND RECEIVE tone" and uses the second column.

You need the "send" side to get into the repeater. If you don't mind hearing ALL traffic on the frequency (which may include kids running simplex units who seem to enjoy the "call button" on FRS rigs, so much that they only let go when their thumb gets tired) all you need is TONE mode. If the repeater has an output tone listed, using TSQL will mean that not only is your radio sending the tone to the repeater, but the repeater is sending a tone back and you can use that tone to block any traffic that does not include the tone.

However, if you are next to the above kid with call button, their signal strength may be high enough to block out the repeater's signal. Tones don't help getting through other signals.

12 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

The behavior of CHIRP is that only one column can have a tone set (UNLESS you have "cross" mode selected, which most other radios would call "split tones"). TONE is "send only" and uses the first column (as I recall). TSQL is "send AND RECEIVE tone" and uses the second column.

You need the "send" side to get into the repeater. If you don't mind hearing ALL traffic on the frequency (which may include kids running simplex units who seem to enjoy the "call button" on FRS rigs, so much that they only let go when their thumb gets tired) all you need is TONE mode. If the repeater has an output tone listed, using TSQL will mean that not only is your radio sending the tone to the repeater, but the repeater is sending a tone back and you can use that tone to block any traffic that does not include the tone.

However, if you are next to the above kid with call button, their signal strength may be high enough to block out the repeater's signal. Tones don't help getting through other signals.

Thanks guys! I think I understand now. Sorry for the thread hijack.